• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rules Compendium

ggroy

First Post
That's why I think that the decision to reprint PHB or not hasn't been made yet - atleast officially.

The 4E PHB1 has had at least two printings. I've seen a second printing. Allegedly there's also a third printing of PHB1, but I haven't seen it yet myself.

From what I've seen so far, there appears to be very little to no errata included in the second printing. For example, it still has the old text for the stealth rules.

ggroy

First Post
I think the decision to reprint the PH has not been made because they need to sell all the current PH's they currently have. Once you choose to reprint, you get no more sales of the current PH and you get stuck with dead stock that will NEVER sell. It's simple economics really.

Most likely this is the case. Nobody wants to be stuck with tons of old inventory which doesn't move at all.

The Little Raven

First Post
From what I've seen so far, there appears to be very little to no errata included in the second printing. For example, it still has the old text for the stealth rules.

The second printing was ordered before the books were released. The third printing was ordered within a few months after release. This was all before the Stealth errata was released.

YRUSirius

First Post
That's another big point, correct. It's just that I don't think that they will decide to reprint the PHB with all the errata, if the D&D Essentials product line is going to be successful. :)

- YRUSirius

Mengu

First Post
The default buy for any new player is going to be a PHB. It has everything somebody can play D&D with.

The default buy for any new player from Essentials on should be Rules Compendium, and 1 month subscription of DDI. They don't need player's handbooks or anything like that. You make and print your character with CB, take your compendium and your dice with you, and you're ready for a game.

The default buy for any new player from Essentials on should be Rules Compendium, and 1 month subscription of DDI. They don't need player's handbooks or anything like that. You make and print your character with CB, take your compendium and your dice with you, and you're ready for a game.
I guess that´s a good idea ;)

as a DM however, I will actually invest in the DMG, Monster Vault and both heroes of the books too...

maybe even redbox...

The Little Raven

First Post
I guess that´s a good idea ;)

as a DM however, I will actually invest in the DMG, Monster Vault and both heroes of the books too...

maybe even redbox...

I'm getting the Red Box just to hand to brand new players. The choose-your-own-adventure-style character creation really helps people wrap their minds around what you do in an RPG.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
If they don't include the errata in the reprinting of their future books (such as PHB 1 or MM 1), the Rules Compendium is only going to make things worse. The default buy for any new player is going to be a PHB.
Not after the new Red Box comes out; then the Red Box will be the default first-purchase for the customers who buy their D&D from retailers that only carry Essentials.
It has everything somebody can play D&D with. If new PHBs are not errated, people going to learn the game with the PHB then realize that there are difference in rules that they learned and will need to figure out either through RC or online errata. That is a lot to ask somebody who wants to get into the game for a system that tries to promote it self as being symblistic.
This is the first time I've seen anyone suggest that D&D ever tries to promote itself as being "symblistic." WotC has tried to promote the game as being "fun" and "balanced," for sure; and I believe that "elegant" was also mentioned a few times.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Elegant?

D&D?

No. 4e was balanced, which is more than has ever been achieved with the system before, but, elegant? Exception-based 'elegance' is a contradiction in terms.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads