• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Runesmith - Wizards in Fullplate

xazil

Explorer
The Runesmith prestige class, from Races of Stone, can be entered into easily at 6th level with only one hard requirement for a dwarven wizard. Heavy armor proficiency.

The first level grants the ability to cast all wizard spells without a somatic component. But requires an extra material componet.

Has 3.5 gone so far that granting a wizard the ability to use the heavist of armors and shields doesn't really upset balance?

Because of the need for lots of hp and higher CR monsters having big to-hit bonuses, AC does matter a lot less in 3.5, but is this just too far for level 6?

The Souljourner

First Post
You know, I'm thinking about it, and no, it's not really that big of a deal. Wizards are more crippled by their low hitpoints than low AC. With shield and mage armor, they can easily get the equivalent of full plate, without the max Dex restriction.

Keep in mind that heavy armor proficiency requires a non casting class. What other prerequisites and benefits does the class have? If that's its major claim to fame, I don't think it's that big a deal.

-The Souljourner

two

First Post
I think you underestimate the power of armor and shield.

I assume a Fighter1/Wizard6 build can qualify for the Prestige Class? (I don't have it myself).

I think a dwarven Wizard6/Fighter1 running around with Full Plate +2 and a +2 large shield, giving an all-day +14 to AC, is yes a little too good. Throw in a Tower Shield for silliness, and it's whacked.

Armor and Shield bonuses can't be dispelled usually, are active when flatfooted, and don't take up any actions to get up. Etc.

I'd be a little wary.

Zweischneid

First Post
The wizard doesn't even have to give up a caster level - they can simply buy Heavy Armor Proficiency as a feat.

Not quite.. he'd have to by Light and Medium Armor proficiency first, so 3 Feats total if you really want to go that way.

Planesdragon

First Post
Wizards aren't THAT much more powerful offensively than clerics--thus, an increased AC doesn't help them that much.

Especially given that armor does nothing against grappling--a quick rogue or monk who moves next to an opposing armored wizard and grapples him effectively takes the wizard out of the fight.

(To say nothing of the fact that armor does nothing for a wizard in a spell battle...)

dvvega

Explorer
Actually Wizards were always able to use full plate and shields from the beginning of 3.0 - of course they would suffer the chance of spell failure.

This was easily bypassed by a Craft Wand Wizard who stored all his spells in wands. In fact he was more useful in the long run since he'd have 50 charge wands of all his spells as opposed to only 2 or 3 per day.

So the Runesmith, from what I know of it, takes 6 levels to attain, and allows you to cast your spells in armour with extra material components. Are these components more expensive? What is the downside of this ability?

I'd prefer to be a "Wand Wizard" than wait to become a Runesmith.

Bauglir

First Post
Zweischneid said:
Not quite.. he'd have to by Light and Medium Armor proficiency first, so 3 Feats total if you really want to go that way.
Oops :eek:

Even so, 3 feats might even be preferential to losing that all-important caster level.

Ramaloke

First Post
Well, look at this

Fighter 1/Wizard 5/Spellsword 4/Eldricht Knight 10, now assuming your going to level 20, and you take the practiced spellcaster feat,

you have spells per day as a 16th level wizard, which means youve got 4 /4/4/4/4/4/3/3/2
You have a BAB of 17 (10 Eldricht Knight, 1 Fighter, 4 Spellsword, 2 Wizard)

If your armor is mithril and has the Twilight Ability from BoED, then you can wear all armors and shield save for tower shield with a 0% chance of Arcane Spell Failure, tack on the Arcane Strike feat, and you are a pretty scary person, I think its kind of broken.

Remove ads