• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Runesmith - Wizards in Fullplate

reanjr

First Post
xazil said:
The Runesmith prestige class, from Races of Stone, can be entered into easily at 6th level with only one hard requirement for a dwarven wizard. Heavy armor proficiency.

The first level grants the ability to cast all wizard spells without a somatic component. But requires an extra material componet.

Has 3.5 gone so far that granting a wizard the ability to use the heavist of armors and shields doesn't really upset balance?

Because of the need for lots of hp and higher CR monsters having big to-hit bonuses, AC does matter a lot less in 3.5, but is this just too far for level 6?

I'm a stickler for game balance, but just today I created a prestige class for one of my players that includes armored spellcasting. Granted it's not 6th level (you can get light armor by 5th and heavy armor by like 12th) but I don't think the armor thing is that big of a deal. What equipment you are allowed to use isn't really a balancing issue. It's more flavor.

Scion

First Post
Still spell.

Take this feat, apply it to all spells that have a somatic component. Now you can wear armor without worry.

Since the alternative seems to be taking a level or two in levels other than primary caster anyway there is little difference in spell levels cast here. But the caster is still a primary caster and doesnt have to do it if they dont need/want to (for spells that arent somatic or wont be cast in combat) and so they are still ahead of the other build.

Even if arcane failure was gotten rid of completely I doubt there would be any issues. it just isnt a balancing point, merely flavorful.

In my games I have made everyone suffer from arcane spell failure.. unless they are proficient with the armor they are wearing and then there is no arcane failure at all. Effectively this simulates the game exactly as it is now, except the silly arcane failure can be gotten around with planning (taking a level of a fighting class, spending feats, whatever).

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
two said:
I think you underestimate the power of armor and shield.

I think a dwarven Wizard6/Fighter1 running around with Full Plate +2 and a +2 large shield, giving an all-day +14 to AC, is yes a little too good. Throw in a Tower Shield for silliness, and it's whacked.

I think you overestimate the abilities of armour class when it applies to wizards. A +14 to AC is NICE, sure. But is it (at the cost of 9500gp+ no less) worth a caster level or 3 feats? Maybe.

Which just goes to show that the ability is balanced.

xazil

Explorer
Just to add a bit, the big thing before was an Eldritch Knight build could have BAB 16 and Caster level 17 along with a few bonus feats for about 40hp less on average at 20th level than a fighter. A 20th level with 20 Con fighter is about 210, verus say 170 for a Fighter 2/Wizard 4/Runesmith 4/Eldritch Knight 10.

Runesmith fills the last gap the EK was missing, good armor. The spell sword could be used to overcome that with the loss of more casting power, but now you can have both. Perhaps although comparing it to a fighter isn't the best, the Runesmith now moves this build up into cleric comparison class.

Returns to pondering.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
I personally think arcane spell failure should be removed, but this prestige class can be troublesome in the sense that every level gives spellcasting advancement, it gets the rune magic as an option, it gets at I think 3rd level the ability to put a rune spell on another persons items and they can then activate the spell. It costs a spell slot of 2 levels higher. And at 5th it gets an ability to put a rune on their body where they then give a spell slot permanently in order to cast a spell 2 times a day as a spell like ability. It gets d6 hps per level which helps a smidge.

I don't know if this makes it unbalnced or not, it has a high entry cost likely a loss of a spell level.

Last edited:

Misirlou

First Post
In all honesty, wizards don't have terribly bad AC without armor anyway.

Since a wizard only needs Int to be at all functional, his next ability can easily be Dex. By the time you have access to some magic items, 16 or 18 dex isn't at all unheard of on a wizard.

The key is Mage Armor. 1 hr/level. A medium-level wizard can have this up perpetually at the cost of two low-level spell slots. One, with Extend Spell. And he can cast Shield if he ever needs a bit extra for a tough fight.

So, between Dex bonus and Mage Armor, he can have +8. Full plate only allows +9 anyway.

Finally, a mithral buckler can be used without Spell Failure, and can be enchanted.

Teslacoil1138

First Post
I'd have to argue that Con is the most important attribute after Int for wizards, or Cha for a sorceror. +1 HP a level for 2 points of Con instead of a steady +1 Dex AC for 2 points of Dex? That's an easy choice to make... Combine a high-ish Con with Improved Toughness and a mage can make up for one of his major weaknesses: low HP.

Taluron

I've read the class and don't have a problem with it per-se. But I'm not sure Eldritch Knight and Spellsword builds are where it can be most abused. I'd be more concerned about a Cl/Wz/Mystic Thuerge/Runesmith. The Runesmith removes one item that most point to as a large balancing factor to a mystic thuerge - they usually don't wear the clerics armor.

Not sure how big a problem this is, if any. But that would concern me more than EK or SS builds.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads