D&D 5E Running Eberron in 5e

Tersival

First Post
I've been giving this a lot of thought myself lately. I haven't really gotten a chance to run or play much D&D in the past few years since my daughter was born, and I recently just went back to grad school, but I've been thinking lately about what it would look like or how it would work to get back into D&D or DM again. I don't know that I'd have a lot of time to self-design a full campaign from start to finish like I used to. I'd probably run with pre-published stuff. I've already done most of the work of converting HotDQ to Eberron, so I think that's probably where I'd start. Maybe I'll finally take a stab at converting RoT during the rare occasions I have the time to do so. Maybe look at some of the other adventures. I'd definitely want to keep running Eberron though.

I've been running a HotDQ/RoT campaign conversion in Eberron and mostly loving the imagination exercise in finding ways to link the campaign to the setting. I've found many bits of lore that were easy to adapt, but Eberron thematic elements harder. High action scenes (dueling atop lightning rail type scenes) and noir elements (distrust and conspiracy theories lingering from the Last War?) I find harder.

I've found little elsewhere along these lines so it would be great to explore your ideas.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I've been running a HotDQ/RoT campaign conversion in Eberron and mostly loving the imagination exercise in finding ways to link the campaign to the setting. I've found many bits of lore that were easy to adapt, but Eberron thematic elements harder. High action scenes (dueling atop lightning rail type scenes) and noir elements (distrust and conspiracy theories lingering from the Last War?) I find harder.

I've found little elsewhere along these lines so it would be great to explore your ideas.

I have a link to my conversion document in the OP... you're right that the noir elements are bit more difficult to put in but not impossible. There's a lot of opportunities in Chapter 4, actually, to play up some of those elements of the setting; I basically turned the "Walking Tour of the Sword Coast" into a "These Are The Many Faces of Eberron" set-up, complete with little mini-mysteries, double-agents, conspiracies within conspiracies, etc. I don't get to play it up as much in HotDQ, but I had planned to explore in more depth why The Twelve and not the various kingdoms step in to fill the "Lord's Alliance" role in RoT. The scars of the Last War are still too deep for these kingdoms to put aside their differences to address even a world-threatening event. Of course The Twelve are more than happy to step up and fill that power vacuum. I even had them move their HQ to Thronehold, which really pisses the royalty off. How do the kingdoms undermine the newfound authority the Twelve find themselves in without also, you know, threatening the fate of the world?

It doesn't look it from the original tone and the general linear nature of it, but a lot of HotDQ, especially in the first half, is all about investigation. "Track down this cult and figure out what they're up to" is a very Eberron-eqsue story arc. It loses a lot of that once you start storming castles (and then storming flying storm castles :p) but I tweaked the plot a bit to include multiple levels of cultists, some of whom are being played by others. Even without that, both Naerytar and Skyreach have a lot of "playing factions against each other" gameplay if players are game for it. Heck, it's practically encouraged at the Hunting Lodge.

I'm not nearly as familiar with RoT so I imagine that will take quite a bit more tweaking not only to fit it within the context of Eberron but also the tone, but I'll have to admit that I didn't really think of it as much that way until you brought it up.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I do Dragonmarks a couple ways. One is to replace a your subrace features, or 1 or more racial features, with the Least Mark spells, and a skill or tool proficiency (usually more nebulously a set of tasks that cover what the marks do).
The other is to allow bonus feat at level 1, from a limited list, included Least Dragon Mark feats.

Either way, getting the lesser and above marks requires additional feats, and each comes with the spells, and either a stat increase or additional bonuses with more tasks/skills/tools.

Also included in the bonus feats are magewright feats, some of the cultural traits from the cubicle7 middle earth book, and the less powerful, more flavorful, feats from the phb. Like linguist.

Tersival

First Post
… why The Twelve and not the various kingdoms step in to fill the "Lord's Alliance" role in RoT. The scars of the Last War are still too deep for these kingdoms to put aside their differences to address even a world-threatening event. Of course The Twelve are more than happy to step up and fill that power vacuum. I even had them move their HQ to Thronehold, which really pisses the royalty off. …

Oh very nice. My campaign started in the Eldeen Reaches (happy to post the background/prologue I started with if interested but don’t want to hijack your thread *too* much) and I swapped out the Lords Alliance with a “Council of Khorvaire”, with Harpers (once the official heralds of Galifar, now an informal network widely respected by the powers of Khorvaire) bringing together distrustful representatives of the nations and dragonmark houses that had been raided and alarmed by dragon led forces.

The party have just made it through their first Council session (invited to attend and provide accounts as pretty much the only party to pursue raiders and come back to tell about it), which ended with little more than a pledge to “look into it” by the nations.

I’ve long wanted to feature Thronehold. The Twelve stepping up and moving the next session to Thronehold will be perfect.

I don't suppose you ever came across a map that would fit the former Kingdom of Galifar's capital?

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Oh very nice. My campaign started in the Eldeen Reaches (happy to post the background/prologue I started with if interested but don’t want to hijack your thread *too* much) and I swapped out the Lords Alliance with a “Council of Khorvaire”, with Harpers (once the official heralds of Galifar, now an informal network widely respected by the powers of Khorvaire) bringing together distrustful representatives of the nations and dragonmark houses that had been raided and alarmed by dragon led forces.

The party have just made it through their first Council session (invited to attend and provide accounts as pretty much the only party to pursue raiders and come back to tell about it), which ended with little more than a pledge to “look into it” by the nations.

I’ve long wanted to feature Thronehold. The Twelve stepping up and moving the next session to Thronehold will be perfect.

I don't suppose you ever came across a map that would fit the former Kingdom of Galifar's capital?

Don't worry about hijacking, this is what this thread's all about! Of course I'd love to hear more!

I feel like I do remember seeing a map of Thronehold somewhere... possibly in Five Nations? It might not have been very detailed but I remember there being a really good section on Thronehold in it.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
My current group I'm running started in my personal conversion of The Sunless Citadel for Eberron. They are adventurers working for an adventuring guild in Karrnath called McCormick's Folly. The owner, McCormick, is disgraced heir of Deneith. Fort Deepdark sank into a massive sinkhole and the surrounding town was overrun with monsters. The Gulthias Tree was actually the spear that grew around a daelkyr defeated by an ancient Dhakanni warlord. The adventurers unwittingly freed the Daelkyr who took one of the players with him.

Now the players are trying to find a way into the Tower of the Twelve for answers on this "Angel Faced Creature" as they've come to know it. To get access, they are helping Breven d'Deneith (who in my version commands the Sentinel Marshals) figure out the link between Blood of Vol cultists/terrorists who have tried to assassinate him, and the tension going on within the higher ups of the house (which is the reason he can't trust his own men). The cultists have powerful magic at their disposal and are collecting dragonshards to fuel something they are calling "The Coming."

Tersival

First Post
Ok then, the background for the rise of dragons in Khorvaire according to Tersival…

After centuries of searching Azaryanis, an ancient blue dragon sworn to the Talons of Tiamat, a Cult of the Dragon Below, followed hints of the draconic prophecy to a long buried cavern beneath the Demon Wastes once used by Tiamat when she roamed Eberron in the Age of Demons. Within the cavern were manifestations of the draconic prophecy and ancient, multi-hued dragon scales shed by the dragon queen herself.

Interpreting the Draconic Prophecy manifestations to mean the cavern site was a key to freeing Tiamat’s prison in Argonnessan, Azaryanis summoned dragons and loyal cultists to the Demon Wastes where they began building a temple above the cavern.

When she witnessed the mesmerising effect Tiamats’ scale had on some of the lesser dragons with her that caught sight of them, Azaryanis recognised power with the scales and had six masks forged from the scales that she enchanted and distributed among trusted cultists to aid them in influencing or commanding other dragons that she knew would oppose the cult.

Nagas and Yuan-ti inhabiting nearby Shaazarak, were awed by the cult’s dragons into service of the cult while barbarians from the Carrion Tribes and Plaguebearers inhabiting the wastes nearby were enlisted or enslaved to form the core of a growing army. As the cult consolidated a power base around the ancient temple, bands of barbarians, led Yuan-ti and sometimes Nagas began raiding nearby areas for loot and slaves that were in turn set to work rebuilding the dragon queen’s temple.

As raids expanded further afield, a hunting lodge in the mountains overlooking Festering Holt occupied by members of the Order of the Emerald Claw, was discovered and captured. Surviving order members revealed an ancient teleportation circle that was once part of a teleportation network built by the ancient Empire of Dhakaan, before the empire was destroyed by the Daelkyr. One of the last surviving remnants of the, the circle links the lodge to Castle Naerytar, an abandoned keep in the Eldeen Reaches near Merylsward.

The cultists were then joined by Glazhael, an allied white dragon who brought with him Skyreach Castle, a cloud giant forged flying fortress captured by the cult long ago in the Frostfell and a pair House Lyrandar airships, spotted exploring the area around Desolate were quickly captured in dragon led assaults. When another airship was later spotted searching for the first two, this was also captured and the surviving airship crews were forced into service as mobile raiding bases under the command of trusted cultist leaders.

Gaining confidence, the cult establishes a forward base at Castle Naerytar and begins raiding the Eldeen Reaches in search of more loot and slaves…

The PCs begin the campaign attending a trade fair in the Eldeen Reaches when the blue-dragon-led forces first attack and pursue raiders to rescue captured villagers. Tracking them into the Towering Wood they discover the raiders camped on an escarpment with a captured airship hovering nearby - a clever rescue liberates captives and the airship as well as providing clues about other raids among maps and papers left on the airship by the raiders' leaders.

When the clues imply attacks on other settlements they use the airship to try and take warning to Merylsward but find the area has already been ravaged by white-dragon-led raiders. The maps lead them to Castle Naerytar deep within the nearby forests (a long abandoned and forgotten effort to civilize the area before the Last War) and an investigation there leads to an encounter with a green dragon that had effectively been enslaved through the power of one of the dragon masks (who is freed when the party slay the mask wearing cult leader).

The portal beneath Naerytar is activated by deciphering a combination of goblin runes naming the original kings of Dhakaan. At the Hunting Lodge, they encounter Emerald Claw veterans led by "Lady Talis", who discloses valuable information while trying to manipulate them into serving her purposes - only to reveal herself as a succubus (secretly an agent of the Lords of Dust) and flee when the party resists and fights back... abandoning her enthralled Emerald Claw minions who disclose more information...

By the end of all that the party have discovered the cult is allied with multiple dragons (at least some unwillingly), barbarians from the Demon Wastes, and fanatic cultists with access to an ancient teleportation network (with scores of possible symbol combinations, each another potential destination) and captured airships to strike across vast regions of Khorvaire, as well as a flying castle they've heard about but not seen yet (I brought the first council session forward a little).

The party backed off investigating the Castle in the Clouds to take word of their discoveries back to potential allies on the council, but exhausted nations distrust each other, there is enough scholarly information about the fall of the giants' civilization to raise fear amongst the learned of what increased draconic activity in Khorvaire could lead to, and not enough diplomacy in the party to nudge the council past their divisions.

Their decision to back off aborted the set back I had in mind (destroying or capturing the Castle in the Clouds) to slow the cult's activities, so currently I'm stuck pondering how to slow down events so the PCs can do some down-time activities while still giving the party incentive to stay attentive to their threat.

Tallifer

Hero
Eberron is an exotic version of the D&D kitchen sink, so I have just been running in in 5th Edition using the rules as is with plenty of old 3.5 and 4th Edition fluff.

Mind you, I tend to prefer a sort of fairy tale/Oz vibe, so my Eberrron is full of things like cookie gnomes, clothforged constructs, pumpkin dragons and lots of psychedic draconic prophecies.

Basque.jpg

Remove ads