TSR Running list of potential problematic issues in TSR era DnD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Ok, a disclaimer is going to be needed for this thread. First, this in no way is saying people who played, continue to play, enjoy, or designed/worked on TSR era DnD are bad in any way. It was a product of its time, and people largely did the best they could with what they knew at the time.

I LOVE old school DnD. 1e is my favorite edition that I’ve played from 1981-2012 continuous as my go to game of choice.

So...that means there are 2 rules for this thread I’d kindly ask people to adhere to
1: refrain from implying anyone who enjoys old school DnD is a bigot just for the reason of enjoying the game (if someone defends bigotry, well, I can’t help that)
2. Please don’t threadcap and argue that there ARE no potential problem areas of old school DnD

Ok, with that out of the way, what I’d like to discuss are identifying any potential pitfalls of TSR DnD that if designed today, would be problematic. For example, if one wants to create a bunch of old school emulations, what are examples of things to avoid. As a cishet male, I know I have blinders on.

What I’ve got so far are the pretty obvious ones:
Nipples in chain mail bikinis
Harlot tables
Excessive cheesecake or topless women everywhere.
Cultural stereotypes from Eurocentric assumption perspectives
Nearly every hero represented as white
Monsters that are depicted using the same imagery as real life groups have had done to them as pejorative stereotypes.

Anything else? I’m sure there are more.

guachi

Hero
Humans being overwhelmingly white. There was Oriental Adventures but that highlighted that the core game was white and non-white was the alternate. Though I appreciate the inclusion of Oriental Adventures and the depiction of Asian-derived play being worthy of being the center of a campaign.

It wasn't so much what was in the game as what was left out of the game.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Humans being overwhelmingly white. There was Oriental Adventures but that highlighted that the core game was white and non-white was the alternate. Though I appreciate the inclusion of Oriental Adventures and the depiction of Asian-derived play being worthy of being the center of a campaign.
This is a great point. Even when diverse ethnicities are presented in many games even today, they are in Eurocentric dress and armor. (I’m guilty of this myself). On one hand, I get how it’s to avoid potential cultural appropriation concerns or accidentally using a stereotype, but in this Internet age, it’s not hard to find someone of that culture to do a review.

HJFudge

Explorer
This is a great point. Even when diverse ethnicities are presented in many games even today, they are in Eurocentric dress and armor. (I’m guilty of this myself). On one hand, I get how it’s to avoid potential cultural appropriation concerns or accidentally using a stereotype, but in this Internet age, it’s not hard to find someone of that culture to do a review.

If I recall correctly (and I might not) but Oriental Adventures DID have asians called in as consultants to help review/critique it. They may have raised objections prior to publication, I am not sure. But getting someone of that culture to do a review won't be as helpful as people might suppose.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Here are two quick examples that illustrate my comment above. Two pieces I recently had commissioned. Both were diverse artists I had hired. One is an artist of Mesoamerican heritage, doing a piece inspired from their culture. The other is from an African American, but his dress is wholly European. I should have caught that and did better.

rs=w:1280

rs=w:1280

Zardnaar

Legend
Big ones probably the art. Most of what's left is personal preference.

Oh and 1E harlot tables and gender ability maximums. That's only 1E though not OD&D, B/X and most clones.

Some "monsters" as well with cavemen and the like hasn't aged well.

Most mechanics are probably fine racial and alignment restrictions mostly personal preference.

Level limits kinda silly though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases