TSR Running list of potential problematic issues in TSR era DnD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Why? What's wrong with it? Did the artist fail to follow your instructions? Or were you expecting them to automagically divine that because you'd hired them, that you wanted AA themed art?
Nothing is wrong with it per se. I was actually quite impressed by it. But if I were a little more aware at the time, I would have had it as an African warrior in traditional dress. To show more diversity not just with the ethnicity of the character, but in the culture as well. To the point above about how we tend to focus on European culture only, even when we’re depicting other ethnicities.

Zardnaar

Legend
Nothing is wrong with it per se. I was actually quite impressed by it. But if I were a little more aware at the time, I would have had it as an African warrior in traditional dress. To show more diversity not just with the ethnicity of the character, but in the culture as well. To the point above about how we tend to focus on European culture only, even when we’re depicting other ethnicities.

I thought it looked good.

Check this out though.

Pakeha= European. Depict that in fantasy art lol.

teitan

Legend
Comparing AD&D and Gary to the virulent racism of Lovecraft or Howard and the KKKK when referring to "of the time" is the real hyperbole. That you've taken that as a point of criticism to my comment as well shows that this is more about the witch hunt than the witch itself. Compared to other contemporaries of the time Gary was downright progressive and he was emulating a genre and its tropes. Are they problematic? Sure. But we are also living in an age when someone calls a VILLAIN Problematic. Well no duh he's problematic. He is a villain. We shouldn't always empathize with a villain.

teitan

Legend
Innocuous to whom exactly?

Also I'm pretty sure that the meanings of racism and sexism to the people affected by them have remained fairly consistent.

This is like the people who defend HP Lovecraft's virulent racism by saying he was a product of his time. NO, even for his time he was a virulent racist. Because there were other people at that time who knew that it was vile and wrong. D&D had problematic parts. To ignore it because it seemed harmless to a particular demographic is to diminish the effects that it may have had on other demographics. It's like the people who insist that systematic racism isnt a real problem when they are the least likely to be affected by systematic racism. Instead of diminishing it maybe try and show some empathy. Or at the bare minimum not show up to kick sand in the eyes of people who actually want to discuss this.
Thanks for implying I am a racist when my approach is actually scholarly and ignoring that I point out the way to progressivism is not to point fingers back but to point them forward with an open hand of embrace because when you point at things you still have three fingers pointing back at you. Before lumping people you do not know into the racist/conservative/etc cart you should analyze yourself for that purity you are looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads