• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Running with throwing weapons

Three_Haligonians

First Post
Master Thrower is the answer

Take levels in the Master Thrower PrC (from Complete Warrior). When you pick up a thrown weapon trick, take Palm Toss which allows the character to throw two thrown weapons with one attack roll, which I'm pretty sure (may Hypersmurf smite me if I'm wrong), works with Shot on the Run. The downside is that when "Palm Tossing" you don't get to add your Str bonus to the damage.

But I think it's worth it, to the point where it has become a staple of my character.

J from Three Haligonians

kenobi65

First Post
fenzer said:
The point is, why do we have a game mechanic that puts such a seperation between movement actions and attack actions? As robust as this game engine is, it seems odd to me to have such a rigid restriction.

Well, mostly what it does is limit how much you can do in a round. You want to move? Fine, but you're limited in how much else you can do in that same round. Ultimately, the issue has little to do with movement per se, and more to do with keeping you from doing a whole lot more in a round if you take multiple attacks.

In your example, the problem arises when you want to throw two axes and still do anything else (i.e., move) in the same round.

Note that there are some mechanics within the rules (charging, Spring Attack, Shot on the Run) that incorporate movement within attacking...but, those are exceptions to the general rules, and, again, limit you to a single attack.

kenobi65

First Post
Tarangil said:
It's possible you could get something similar to the Shot on the Run feat.

Shot on the Run would work just fine with a throwing axe; there's nothing in the description of SotR that says it can't be used with thrown weapons.

The issue is that the OP wants to throw two axes while also being able to move in the same round. Since SotR works with an attack action, but throwing more than one axe is a full-round action, what he wants to do doesn't seem to be possible by the RAW, unless he's got something like Palm Toss, as Three Haligonians mentioned, or Dual Strike, as enamel_32 mentioned, or the "Manythrow" idea that Peter threw out there (pun intended).

(And, you'd need to cross-check those abilities / feats versus the description of Shot on the Run, to make sure that it's compatible...otherwise, you can run into the "attack action" versus "standard action" problem, a la Manyshot versus Shot on the Run.)

fenzer

Librarian, Geologist, and Referee
Kenobi65 and Saeviomagy thanks for the help. I will be using the Duel Strike feat and mondify it for my throwing axes.

I feel I need to edit my comments about the game engine. I continue to be impressed with the adaptability of the d20 game mechanic. I understand the need to limit what can and cannot be done during a game round and I find myself in agreement with almost all of what is done with the rules.

Thanks again everyone for the help.

Remove ads