Sad Day In Syracuse

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Its always a sad thing when FLGS have to shut down or sell off things and move to a smaller location. But still everyone in that region should probably be feeling lucky that they have a FLGS. I live in the sticks and have to drive 2 hours to get to the nearest game store.

gbob01

First Post
Twilight Book & Game closure

I realize I'm responding to a 10 year old post, but I figured I'd correct the misinformation on Twilight Book & Game. I was the owner, and we were in business for nearly 18 years. We had the majority of the comic book and gaming market for most of those 18 years, and "slow sales" had absolutely NOTHING to do with why I ultimately decided to close.

Indeed, I DID have "personal problems," just like every adult in the universe. But the reason I closed had to do more with the crash of the comic book and sports card market after I had opened up our 4th store. It was a bad business decision, but the market crashed hard and I didn't see it coming. Add to that my personal problems in going through a divorce, and you had the formula for disaster. It had nothing to do with me losing interest in the store. If I could go back with 20/20 hindsight, the mistakes I made that contributed to the closing would have been different. But none of us has a crystal ball.

I've seen some other posts regarding the "seedy" part of town being a contributing cause. When I opened there, the area was not nearly as bad as when we finally closed. That had not affected our business, although had we stayed open, the condition the neighborhood is in now, might have. "Looker's" opposite our store was "The Red Snapper" a neighborhood bar/restaurant when we opened. There were a couple strip joints down the street, but they did not seem to affect anything, as we closed by 8pm.

There is someone who has posted here that they worked at my store for three years. I do not know who it is, and they may well have. But his/her expertise about why I closed is derived from absolutely nothing other than conjecture. I made many mistakes, including hiring some very BAD employees who used Twilight as their own bank and place to get free comics (of course, without my knowledge), expansion that was too quick without proper inventory controls, and the crashing market that I was heavily invested in. All of these mistakes could have been avoided, but no MBA would have predicted the series of events or helped me to deal with them any better than I did. Much of it was personal that had pushed me to my limits.

I know when I closed that a lot of my customers were very upset. I am most regretful of the disappointment I caused them, as well as the many employees I had that were laid off. There is nothing I would like more than to give it another shot, do things differently, but I do not have the finances that would be required today to do it right.

Most of the people that I hear from who used to be customers have told me that they loved my employees, they loved our inventory selection, and that was what separated us from our competition. The industry has changed tremendously since even these posts were originally made. No doubt, Twilight would look much different today than it did in 2000 when I closed.

Thank you to everyone who shopped at my stores, thank you for the kind words, and I hope your hobbies are being met by the stores that are still in business. I strongly urge all of you to shop at the brick and mortar stores that still exist instead of ordering everything online.

Bob Gray

Last edited:

saucesquatch

Villager
Twilight Book & Game closure

I realize I'm responding to a 10 year old post, but I figured I'd correct the misinformation on Twilight Book & Game. I was the owner, and we were in business for nearly 18 years. We had the majority of the comic book and gaming market for most of those 18 years, and "slow sales" had absolutely NOTHING to do with why I ultimately decided to close.

Indeed, I DID have "personal problems," just like every adult in the universe. But the reason I closed had to do more with the crash of the comic book and sports card market after I had opened up our 4th store. It was a bad business decision, but the market crashed hard and I didn't see it coming. Add to that my personal problems in going through a divorce, and you had the formula for disaster. It had nothing to do with me losing interest in the store. If I could go back with 20/20 hindsight, the mistakes I made that contributed to the closing would have been different. But none of us has a crystal ball.

I've seen some other posts regarding the "seedy" part of town being a contributing cause. When I opened there, the area was not nearly as bad as when we finally closed. That had not affected our business, although had we stayed open, the condition the neighborhood is in now, might have. "Looker's" opposite our store was "The Red Snapper" a neighborhood bar/restaurant when we opened. There were a couple strip joints down the street, but they did not seem to affect anything, as we closed by 8pm.

There is someone who has posted here that they worked at my store for three years. I do not know who it is, and they may well have. But his/her expertise about why I closed is derived from absolutely nothing other than conjecture. I made many mistakes, including hiring some very BAD employees who used Twilight as their own bank and place to get free comics (of course, without my knowledge), expansion that was too quick without proper inventory controls, and the crashing market that I was heavily invested in. All of these mistakes could have been avoided, but no MBA would have predicted the series of events or helped me to deal with them any better than I did. Much of it was personal that had pushed me to my limits.

I know when I closed that a lot of my customers were very upset. I am most regretful of the disappointment I caused them, as well as the many employees I had that were laid off. There is nothing I would like more than to give it another shot, do things differently, but I do not have the finances that would be required today to do it right.

Most of the people that I hear from who used to be customers have told me that they loved my employees, they loved our inventory selection, and that was what separated us from our competition. The industry has changed tremendously since even these posts were originally made. No doubt, Twilight would look much different today than it did in 2000 when I closed.

Thank you to everyone who shopped at my stores, thank you for the kind words, and I hope your hobbies are being met by the stores that are still in business. I strongly urge all of you to shop at the brick and mortar stores that still exist instead of ordering everything online.

Bob Gray
Bob, I just wanted to say thank you. I grew up not far from Twilight and that is where I would get my comic books. It's where I bought my first pack of Magic the Gathering and attended game nights. It's probably the first place I felt like a normal kid, that there were other people like me who were interested in nerdy fantastical stuff. It was a spectacular place and I felt blessed it was close enough to just visit, flip through hundreds of comics until I found one I could buy. I was sad to hear it closed but I want you to know I still tell people how great it was and how much it meant to me.

aramis erak

Legend
The new owners of one of the 5(!) malls here in London decided that they no longer wanted any store that wasn't a national brand name. So far 4 local business have been shut down to make room for 4 women's clothing stores.

To the OP - how big is Syracuse? London is about 350 000 and we have 4 games stores (2 of them friendly!). All but 1 of them are Comic/RPG/Board game stores.
Anchorage is also about 350k and has 2 game stores, all of them friendly. (A third closed in the last few years...)
Corvallis, Oregon, is about 55k locals plus 23k students... and had 3, now has 2, game stores, 1 of which was friendly, 1 was standoffish, and 1 was flat out hostile. The standoffish one is the one that died.
In both cities, several non-game stores have some gaming items. SOme board games at a toy & school supply store downtown, for example.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Speaking of Oregon, we've got it pretty good here in Portland, too. There are several FLGS and comic book stores to choose from, plus a couple of mead halls (yes, you read that right) and brew pubs that cater to the board game and RPG-playing crowds, scattered around in different neighborhoods. But all the big guns are downtown: Powell's Bookstore, Guardian Games (with its attached game-room and pub, "Critical Sip"), and the Coffin Club (formerly, The Lovecraft Bar).

If you're a gamer geek and you're planning your next vacation, give Rip City a shot.

darjr

I crit!
Omaha greater omaha area has about 1million pop. We have at least nine game stores. Last time I counted though a couple closed down but a couple more opened. So the overall balance is up.

aramis erak

Legend
Speaking of Oregon, we've got it pretty good here in Portland, too. There are several FLGS and comic book stores to choose from, plus a couple of mead halls (yes, you read that right) and brew pubs that cater to the board game and RPG-playing crowds, scattered around in different neighborhoods. But all the big guns are downtown: Powell's Bookstore, Guardian Games (with its attached game-room and pub, "Critical Sip"), and the Coffin Club (formerly, The Lovecraft Bar).

If you're a gamer geek and you're planning your next vacation, give Rip City a shot.
Guardian freaking ROCKS!
If Matt's can't get it, I'll check Guardian. (The lack of Parking makes Powell's a problem)

There are a few hole-in-the-wall kind of game stores scattered in Portland... one had all of 4 parking spots in it's lot, which one had to walk around the building to get to the store, which appears to be a converted apartment. Quirky, but friendly. (I hit several looking for matching game stones.)

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Since we're all talking about great FLGSs on a 20-year-old thread, I'd like to mention a couple of sad cases: the Space Crime Continuum and Modern Myths in Northampton, MA, and then two success stories: Off the Wall Games in Hadley, MA and That's Entertainment in Worcester, MA.

Space-Crime was a game and mystery/sci-fi novel store that was just awesome, and it closed when the owner moved to Texas or Arizona to work for Steve Jackson Games. Modern Myths was a comic/game store that closed due to financial issues; a friend and I actually looked into buying it but the money didn't make sense. As the manager at the time mentioned, if the financials could work she would have bought the place herself.

But Off the Wall has a large play area, is packed on Saturdays, and has great staff. They focus mostly on Magic and miniatures wargames/boardgames, but they sell lots of stuff and the place has a great atmosphere. That's Entertainment is enormous and sells your childhood - everything form RPGs to boardgames to comics to video games to curios and knicknacks and toys.

I buy all my stuff from these people (well, and Comics & More in Easthampton, since Worcester is a bit of a hike and Off The Wall doesn't sell comics). I want these stores to be there for kids in the future, and it's worth slightly higher prices to support them. And it's worth mentioning that both Off The Wall and That's Entertainment give good discounts on D&D hardcovers anyway, especially if you preorder the books, so there's really no excuse to help Jeff Bezos flee the planet instead of buying local.

Committed Hero

Adventurer
We were lucky in the Triangle to have only one game store close up during Covid; there are still 3 major ones (one of which just opened a second location). In comparison, during the last recession we lost 2 big players.

Remove ads