Scarred Lands Canceled?

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Brennin,

I think that's the case with many people. Goodness knows there's plenty that use Hollowfaust without using Scarred Lands.

kuje31

First Post
I noticed you posted in the White Wolf thread, after I was given that link.

Aye, I was/am bummed if this is true because I to use those modules and sourcebooks for ideas and change them to suit my games. It would be a shame if the setting was canceled. :(

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
I love the Scarred Lands stuff. Though at the same time I can appreciate the idea of throwing out 10 products, world setting, and some adventures and saying 'have at it.' Really, I like that way much better than Forgotten Realms which was ready to collpase on its own weight. Then there is Greyhawk - my favorite - which has suffered from lots of problems, shall we say. In some ways if Scarred Lands gets 'cancelled' that would be a way to preserve the intgegrity I really liked.

Turjan

Explorer
Yes, the Scarred Lands are a fine setting to steal from :). However, given the grating reviews of the late SL products combined with the fact that d20 has seen its heydays, I would not be too surprised if the rumours turned out to be true.

Psion

Adventurer
Brennin Magalus said:
I would be disappointed to see SL dropped. Even though I do not game in the SL, I pilfer from the setting with abandon.

Lots of people do. I think SS&S realized that. Hence their non-SL R&R books.

ssampier

First Post
This sucks. I love Scarred Lands. It has a few rough edges here and there, but hey, it's still neat.

My sincere hope is that by third quarter 2005 S&S will start releasing SL stuff-- with new focus and vision (rather spreading themselves too thin).

Voadam

Legend
Psion said:
Lots of people do. I think SS&S realized that. Hence their non-SL R&R books.

Which was a really odd choice of product line names

R&R ------------- Scarred Lands Magic Sourceook
R&R II ------------ Scarred Lands Magic Sourcebook
R&R Excalibur ----- Alternate Campaign setting and rulebook
R&R Olympus ----- Alternate Campaign setting and rulebook

Why call the latter two Relics and Rituals? Why not Excalibur Campaign Setting as in the Ghelspad or Termana Campaign Setting ones?

Turjan

Explorer
Voadam said:
Which was a really odd choice of product line names

R&R ------------- Scarred Lands Magic Sourceook
R&R II ------------ Scarred Lands Magic Sourcebook
R&R Excalibur ----- Alternate Campaign setting and rulebook
R&R Olympus ----- Alternate Campaign setting and rulebook

Why call the latter two Relics and Rituals? Why not Excalibur Campaign Setting as in the Ghelspad or Termana Campaign Setting ones?

When I first noticed those titles, I thought this was plain stupid. On one hand, it alienates the Scarred Lands fans that might buy this unseen and end up with something they won't use, on the other hand it complicates the title for people who do not have the slightest interest in the Scarred Lands and ask themselves whether they spend money on a supplement for a campaing setting they don't like *shrug*.

SSquirrel

Explorer
Turjan said:
However, given the grating reviews of the late SL products combined with the fact that d20 has seen its heydays, I would not be too surprised if the rumours turned out to be true.
I'll take a smidge of umbrage at this statement. Totally ignoring the whole SL issue, I really don't feel the d20 heyday is past. I think we're right in the middle or on the front side of it still. Is the d20 Gold Rush over? Yes indeed. Gold Rush is the first stage tho. We're not sitting in the midst of the Shake Out, which is probably near the middle somewhere. It's not the completely easy "what your product is d20!? Order 15 of em!" thing it once was. Now that it's a bit more matured, we're seeing a consolidation of the companies working on d20, the ones who were just sticking their toe in removing and returning to previous systems (Chaosium), and some just calling it quits period.

Last year we saw the beginnings of both Arcana Unearthed and Mutants and Masterminds. This year we continue to see new books coming out at a pretty fast pace still, and we have so many systems covered. Mecha, anime, future, high fantasy, low fantasy, grim n gritty (Ken Hood's latest ruleset is still quite interesting), etc.

Companies are realizing that you don't have to stick so close to the PHB and you can do different (more interesting?) things like M&M and AU do.

Didn't mean to highjack there, but it's a common statement I see and I just completely disagree with it.

Scarred Lands I was never really able to get into for some reason. I do agree with Hollowfaust being a very cool book tho and I've paged thru it several times. Actually, Hollowfaust would be interesting to stick into AU. I mean, undead in AU are supposed to be more individual and every 2 bit necro mage doesn't have undead everywhere. A whole city populated by undead, all free thinking etc, just sounds perfect. Of course, without turning, it's even NASTIER to visit heh.

Hagen

Turjan

Explorer
SSquirrel said:
I'll take a smidge of umbrage at this statement. [snip]

Didn't mean to highjack there, but it's a common statement I see and I just completely disagree with it.

Well, it may be just a matter of definition. None of your examples (AU and M&M) bears the d20 logo. Hardly any d20 products are held by bookshops any more (except WotC and WW products). d6, Gurps, WoD and Ars Magica see new editions, and there have been more games published lately that are completely unrelated to d20 or OGL than in a long time before.

Of course, you can call that consolidation ;). And maybe White Wolf has come to the conclusion that it's time to "consolidate" the Scarred Lands away :).

Remove ads