Scheduling Thread for IRON DM 2014

phoamslinger

Explorer
Could you more experienced give me one bit of advice: How long do you actually do this? do you use the 24 hours to the fullest, drink thousand gallons of coffee and get serious sleep deprivation?

I used to get some ideas from the list and would start typing (using Word usually) almost as soon as I could. when finished, I would then go back and re-read it, edit, tighten it, re-read it again. sleep. get up and edit some more, until I had a finished product I was happy with. I'd copy and paste over to the site almost at the deadline, just in case some idea came up that might help me win.

phoamslinger

Explorer
ok then. I've been called into work today, so if we can get a match setup, I will post the ingredients at around 5pm Eastern and you will have 24 hours from that point. UselessTriviaMan has said he's ready.

[MENTION=6775774]Ashoka[/MENTION], [MENTION=57112]Gradine[/MENTION], [MENTION=6786484]PnPgamer[/MENTION], I need one of you to step forward and post that you're ready to go.

[MENTION=6678460]UselessTriviaMan[/MENTION] if you could confirm that today works for you, please. otherwise another of the first three.

I'll check back in a while and see where things stand.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
That's a but too late a start time for me, at least for tonight. My weekend starts tomorrow evening, so any time tomorrow or the next day is great for me.

Rune

Once A Fool
Could you more experienced give me one bit of advice: How long do you actually do this? do you use the 24 hours to the fullest, drink thousand gallons of coffee and get serious sleep deprivation?

I used to stay up all night and skip classes the next day. Same way I wrote my papers. Four rounds of that can be exhausting, let me tell you!

More helpfully, however, the first thing I would do is map out potential relationships between the ingredients. The resulting web would become a frame to hang the adventure on. I'd give myself some time to flesh out the ingredients and their relationships in my head, jotting down notes as I went.

I always tried to have the basic vision more or less complete before I began typing. That way, I could (hopefully) see if something wasn't going to work beforehand and not have to make significant changes while writing (an inefficient use of time and energy). I'd edit as I wrote, because that's just easier for me (and I'm compulsive that way).

Once written, I would read to make sure it was well-presented and made sense. Fix it. Read it again. Fix it again. And so on until it was as good as it was going to get, or I had run out of time.

(It may be worth noting that I put way more effort into an IRON DM entry than a class assignment. This made me a much better contestant than student. But then, it was easier to get an A or B on a first-draft paper than win a round of IRON DM!)

Last edited:

phoamslinger

Explorer
ok, UselessTriviaMan and Gradine,your ingredients will post sometime tomorrow. my schedule is still up in the air a bit, so it may be noon, it may be 6pm.

let me know if that works for you, and we'll go from there.

Ashoka

First Post
Hey there, I've had some personal stuff come up and I'm not going to have any free time for at least a couple of weeks. So, I'm gonna have to drop out even before I start. Thanks for giving me the chance. Sorry for being lame.

Remove ads