• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Sci Fi Channel] "Who Wants To Be A Superhero?"

Just_Hal

First Post
Fast Learner said:
Fixed it.
Ok, that did kinda ruin it for me........ :(

But what about next week when he cries??????????????????

Oh Stan!!!!!!!!!

SSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

BrooklynKnight

First Post
Fast Learner said:
This outtake from the show certainly implies that (a) Stan is not live, and (b) some of what the contestants say is prescripted. The former doesn't surprise me, and though the latter doesn't either, I am surprised that SciFi put it iin the clip.

OH! OH

Hehe. Actually, I can explain that.

That clip they put up on sci fi is a major mistake.

Its an editing guideline for the the editor. The VO you hear is a placeholder for Stan's VO (which is clearly recorded sepratly). Even the part where you see a picture of Lumeria and the VO could simply be a reminder for the person editing to input the video of lumeria talking.

Its a real fracking headache to edit something when your B-Roll is not available. So, in order to get the timing right you place other things in. If you look really close even the still image of stan is a PIP OVERLAY (and a pretty bad one too).

If you ask me, this clip was put together by an associate editor as a possible segment for the show. Many reality shows develop the same material diffrently, and then show the director and producer each segment so they can decide on a master edit.

Fast Learner

First Post
Hmm. Well, I guess I can see that as a reasonably likely possibility. Weird, though, that they had the b-roll of the one guy but not Lemuria.

Oh, and to whoever noted it earlier, yeah, Stan's mispronounciation, Lumeria, did indeed drive me nutty. Now that she's off, I guess that solves that.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Really though, she looks more like a Lumeria than a Lemuria. I mean, "Lumeria" sort of implies someone wearing a bright shiny silver or gold outfit. And indeed, she looks like a Solid Gold Dancer. While Lemuria implies either a Roman ghostie, a little monkey, or a pre-Atlantean lost continent inhabitant (often inhuman).

Wolv0rine

First Post
trancejeremy said:
Really though, she looks more like a Lumeria than a Lemuria. I mean, "Lumeria" sort of implies someone wearing a bright shiny silver or gold outfit. And indeed, she looks like a Solid Gold Dancer. While Lemuria implies either a Roman ghostie, a little monkey, or a pre-Atlantean lost continent inhabitant (often inhuman).
Well given that her backstory is that she is actually a native of Mu (not PRE-atlantian, but the same era) who was sent forward in time, it makes perfect sense actually.

One could say it's kind of convoluted and silly, until one considers the asinine former reton history of Powergirl before the recent Infinite Crisis (not to mention Aqualad/Tempest and pretty much any other DC character who has any connection whatsoever with the ancient wizard Atlan) as just a small reference, it's really not so bad at all.

Fast Learner

First Post
Agreed. In her audition tape I thought her mention of being from Mu and having Atlanteans as enemies gave her several points.

Worth mentioning, perhaps, is that lemurs (the mammal) aren't monkeys, but are in fact prosimians, evolving prior to monkeys and apes, and that one of the (more moern) myths of ancient Lemuria is that its people descended down a different evolutionary line than the simian line humans did.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Hmmmm, I missed out on most of their origins and such. But someone named Lemuria from Mu? Isn't that odd? Like someone named "Canada" from the US?

Anyway, Lemuria was originally postulated by a guy who tried to explain why there were Lemurs in Madagascar and Lemur fossils in other parts of Oceania (or whatever that part of the region is called) but not in Africa and elsewhere. And this was before continental drift. So he postulated that there was a land full of Lemurs that sank and the various islands were remnants of it.

And that then got apropriated into Theosophy by Blavatsky (sp?). Only her Lemurians were some sort of weird hermaphrodites. Which doesn't really describe this Lemuria. Though there are a bunch of later addons, including it being picked up by HPL and his circle (sorta).

Still, you wonder why she never corrected Stan? People get my name wrong all the time, it's no big deal to correct them.

Fast Learner

First Post
trancejeremy said:
But someone named Lemuria from Mu? Isn't that odd? Like someone named "Canada" from the US?
Not really. If you're asking Churchward or Blavatsky then it would indeed seem weird, but in modern popular vernacular (such as it is for something so obscure), Lemuria and Mu are used interchangably. So it's like naming herself America and being from the US.

Only her Lemurians were some sort of weird hermaphrodites. Which doesn't really describe this Lemuria.
Did you have access to her dressing room? :D

Last edited:

It got a little sappy, but I like it.

I seriously hope Dark Enforcer kidnaps Stan in the next episode, and they have to go rescue him, and then do some sort of puzzle to defeat the villain. Like they have the first test, which looks all dramatic and tough -- like maybe they need to rescue a woman, but when they get to her, they realize it's actually *gasp!* Monkey Girl! She was just a ruse to get the heroes out of the lair so Stan couldn't call for help.

Seriously, I should write comics.

Richards

Legend
Well, that was an interesting 5th episode. Fat Momma ruled that classroom! I can completely understand her concern for Feedback, given that she won the first contest (the classroom) and Major Victory won the second contest (scavenger hunt) - it certainly looked as if he was the logical choice for elimination. I hope that her offer to be eliminated was sincere (and I'm sure it probably was), but whether it was or not, it was brilliant: I'm sure she got some brownie points - even if they were only subliminal - for her attempted self-sacrifice. Plus, by making the offer, she not only gets some "bonus points" to make up for her poor showing in the scavenger hunt, but it also helps "explain away" her poor performance - maybe she was just trying to throw the race so that Feedback wouldn't be eliminated!

In any case, I still think Feedback's going to win it. And my son reminded me that he was the one that had actually quit his job to appear on the show, since his boss wouldn't give him the time off. I guess he really does want it the most!

Johnathan

Remove ads