• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Sci Fi Channel] "Who Wants To Be A Superhero?"

Tuzenbach

First Post
major victory has been on the chopping block so many times i'm surprised he's still there.

By "so many times" did you mean twice? Or did you mean EXACTLY ONE MORE time than Feedback? Episode 4 was the first time Major Victory has had to contend with possible elimination.

D.Shaffer

First Post
ThirdWizard said:
Yeah, I figured the convicts were actors. It fits with the "make them think they're in danger when they really aren't" thing. I imagine one of the super heroes being taken hostage would make for good ratings, but not the kind they're looking for. ;)
I thought they were actors as soon as I saw where they were doing this. A bunch of prisoners outside with civilians? Trouble waiting to happen.
I knew for a fact that they were actors as soon as one of the guards took the handcuffs off one of them while in close proximity to one of the hopefuls. They'd NEVER do this with a real prisoner.

And the Final Three matched my initial prediction. Whoohoo. :D

Wolv0rine

First Post
Eh, I'm still bummed. I wanted to see Major Victory and Lemuria at the end.

But hey, I'm shallow that way. Lemuria was just friggin hot. And Major Victory is too hillariously corny to not be cool.

Fat Momma is a nice little nod to postivie self-image and all, but fat black women just aren't a target demographic for comics, and never will be. Feedback, I dunno, I can't point at anything in specific, he just bugs me. That said though, he DID go about the 'convict challenge' in the most intelligent fashion. Fat Momma 'completeled' her task on pure technicality, as did Major Victory.

DonTadow

First Post
They still all aspire to be actors or at least in the acting field in some way. I had no problem with this up until this episode when monkey woman got kicked off for the reason that she said she was an actor... err.. like hte other contestants.

I'm also getting more irked by the superheros, even my favorite major victory. All of them claim to be comic book and stan lee fans but none of them have quoted nay a comic book, nor an incident where stan's logic is faulty as comparied to his other comic book characters. Im waiting for one of them to say "but in issue 173 of spider man ect.".

Felon

First Post
Villano said:
This is the first episode I've watched. Normally, I hate reality shows, but this one was pretty good. But what the hell is up with the garbage can? Wow, that makes the show look so cheap.

The garbage can is supposed to be evocative of the classic Spider-Man cover depicting Peter Parker is walking away from a trash can, with his Spidey costume stuffed in a trash can (Spider-Man 2 alluded to it).

I honestly couldn't believe that the contestants all thought they were going to actually have to walk that plank. No TV show is going to risk someone dying doing something so dangerous. At first, I thought that they would be using safety harnesses (a la Fear Factor), but once I saw the blindfold, I realized what they were planning on doing. I'm surprised no one else figured it out.

They don't come right out and say it, but the heroes were not supposed to think they might actually fall to their death, but instead that they would fall off the beam into a safety net (and thus fail their challenge).

Felon

First Post
DonTadow said:
AFter 4 shows there is one reoccuring annoyance now... stan lee.

He's putting these guys on a moral podium higher than any superhero. He says that no superhero gives up his identity but marvel is in the middle of civil war, which was planned and has been in the works during the filming and before the filmiing of this movie.

He knocks on strippers but this was the guy who signed his name on stripperela?

Not only that, but notice the picture hanging on the wall behind him while he's chiding Major Victory...she's right there over his shoulder!
He says no one would give up their cape, but any hero would give up any part of some silly old clothing if it means saving a life or helping someone. His holier than though attitude annoys me to no end.
Jamdin said:
Stan really made too big of deal about Major Victory's cape. Superman has taken off his cape several times in the past for Lois, Jimmy and others.
Goodsport said:
That's exactly what crossed my mind as well. :eek:-G

It really isn't about Stan's outrage about the unheroic nature of stripping. As Goodsport points out, there's a disclaimer that states the heroes know the rules of the game. Once you realize that there are actual rules and it's not just one guy making arbitrary moral judgments, some of Stan's choices for the elimination round make perfect sense.

For instance, one of those rules is probably that the heroes have to remain in costume during a task (unless expressly instructed otherwise). So, Major Victory sheds a cape in a couple of tasks, and although it's a minor bit of costume removal, he has technically violated the rules and is warned that it constitutes an infraction.

Likewise, the rules also probably stipulate that the heroes must stay in character and not give away their "secret identity" while on a task. That being the case, Monkey Woman actually did commit a pretty severe blunder.

Felon

First Post
Tuzenbach said:
By "so many times" did you mean twice? Or did you mean EXACTLY ONE MORE time than Feedback? Episode 4 was the first time Major Victory has had to contend with possible elimination.

Well, actually Feedback was on the block twice as well. Once for failing to help the little girl in the first episode (of all the guys, only the Major succeeded), and then for teasing Tyveculus.

Remove ads