Sci Trek: Star Trek Predictions

Very interesting stuff. Also remember Sci Trek was the first to scoop on the Paramount WB merger talks.

Secret Hideout could be bought out by Paramount and turned into Star Trek Studios as preparation for this deal, so that the rights are clearly owned by whoever owns Star Trek Studios.

Alot of interesting stuff is discussed in the video, including the fact that he takes alot of flak from both haters and lovers of NuTrek from trying to cover things in a relatively neutral manner instead confirming the biases of either side.

Sci Trek has a good, but not perfect track record.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I got 3 minutes in before my brain numbed over. Is this a contender for the most boring YouTube ever posted? Mainly him telling us people keep calling him a liar or something. Sorry to hear it, I guess. Did he say anything interesting at any point?

I got 3 minutes in before my brain numbed over. Is this a contender for the most boring YouTube ever posted? Mainly him telling us people keep calling him a liar or something. Sorry to hear it, I guess. Did he say anything interesting at any point?

If you skip past that it does get more interesting, but I'll sum it up. It helps to watch it at 2x speed like I do, I watch most YouTube videos like that now.

He reiterates of things he's said about the Paramount WB merger which is the driving force of this, it's a straight merger, not an acquisition. They are hoping costs go down alot and they can sell redundant assets to reduce combined debt. They combined business might contract Netflix to run the streaming service for them, they just provide the content.

But the big thing is because of the merger Paramount is going to buy out Secret Hideout, and rename Star Trek Studios because Secret Hideout has rights to assorted elements of NuTrek, so this would combine all rights into one studio avoiding assorted legal issues. Not mentioned as to what they will do with any none Star Trek content created or owned by Secret Hideout. Bit it's unknown if they will keep or sell Star Trek Studios, I think they are still trying to decide that.

A basic timeline of Star Trek releases next year. Discovery early on or summer I forget, later in the year, Section 31 later in the year, Strange New Worlds at the end of 2024, with some episodes overflowing to 2025. For some reason I don't think he mentioned Lower Decks, but I'm pretty sure that's coming too and Prodigy we all know is getting its second season on Netflix next year at some time (and CTV here in Canada.

The other big thing he predicts is Star Trek Legacy will be announced in 2024, in partnership with Amazon Prime because they can't afford to do it alone. It likely would have been announced already except the writer strike happened, then the merger talks. Although if Legacy does happen it'll likely be on CTV here in Canada, like the rest if Star Trek.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
But the big thing is because of the merger Paramount is going to buy out Secret Hideout, and rename Star Trek Studios because Secret Hideout has rights to assorted elements of NuTrek, so this would combine all rights into one studio avoiding assorted legal issues. Not mentioned as to what they will do with any none Star Trek content created or owned by Secret Hideout. Bit it's unknown if they will keep or sell Star Trek Studios, I think they are still trying to decide that.
I guess this requires us to know what Secret Hideout is?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
That seems like a lot of effort to go to to understand a forum post! Google is much quicker! :)
Yeah, it's just a production company on newer Trek shows. Apparently they have Trek-cannon that they can use and Trek cannon that they cannot? Some kind of rights issue? At any rate, I guess if there's any truth to any of this, that could get worked out by a fusion.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

I am pretty sure this is a misinterpretation of the deal between CBS and Secret Hideout.

Secret Hideout is a TV and film production company, headed by Alan Kurtzman. They are the company that has produced all TV Trek from Discovery on. If you see Kurtzman's or Heather Kadin's name on something, that's from Secret Hideout.

But note that SH has a deal to produce Trek through 2026. Meaning, if CBS wants to make Trek, they can only do it with SH for the next few years. But Secret Hideout does not own the result - they are producing it on behalf of CBS, who still owns the property and rights to what is produced.

That would still probably mean that a merged Paramaount/WB would want to buy Secret Hideout, so they'd not have to keep re-negotiating that contract.

A basic timeline of Star Trek releases next year. Discovery early on or summer I forget

Currently slated for April 2024.

I am pretty sure this is a misinterpretation of the deal between CBS and Secret Hideout.

Secret Hideout is a TV and film production company, headed by Alan Kurtzman. They are the company that has produced all TV Trek from Discovery on. If you see Kurtzman's or Heather Kadin's name on something, that's from Secret Hideout.

But note that SH has a deal to produce Trek through 2026. Meaning, if CBS wants to make Trek, they can only do it with SH for the next few years. But Secret Hideout does not own the result - they are producing it on behalf of CBS, who still owns the property and rights to what is produced.

That would still probably mean that a merged Paramaount/WB would want to buy Secret Hideout, so they'd not have to keep re-negotiating that contract.

Currently slated for April 2024.

Secret Hideout does to my knowledge have more rights then that, not to the show as a whole, but merch based on certain characters for example and some other things, I'm not clear on the exact details. I've heard Bad Robot had a simular deal for the Kelvin Timeline movies, but again I don't have the specific details.

Side note if they do create a Star Trek Studios Paramount Global owns another Roddenberry asset, a TV movie called Genisis II, and WB owns yet another, Planet Earth, I'd stick both of those under the Star Trek Studios.

Interesting enough one of those has a lead character called Dylan Hunt, a name that appears in different Gene Roddenberry works, including the posthumously Andromeda.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I still don't really understand what this thread is about. Is there like a bullet point elevator summary or something? All I'm seeing is studio-legal-merger word salad. What does it actually say? Anything interesting?

Remove ads