D&D 5E Scoopa doopa doop! Legends & Lore in the loop! (6/9/14)

Faraer

Explorer
Thanks for feeding us with more info on the adventure's location. This text is written with which year in context? Because the ''today'' might be long ago if it was in 1385 DR and could be very well a booming village again in 1490 DR (or whatever timeline 5E will now be at)...
That text is lifted from The North: Guide to the Savage Frontier, which is set in 1370 DR. But given the intention to make the fifth-edition Realms like the fourteenth-century Realms, they'd not be getting off to a good start if the scenario didn't work in the original setting.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Phandalin also very close to Neverwinter which is good news for those DMs who are still enjoying the Neverwinter Campaign Setting.

I'm really happy to see Rich Baker still writing D&D adventures. He's not a man I would choose to see put into a premature retirement. (snip)

In a company that is distinguished by a seriously stupid HR policy, this was the most seriously stupid lay-off that ever took place and only weeks after a well-deserved promotion. Even Chris Perkins used to refer to him as WotC's best adventure designer, and he was - and is - far more than that.

Klaus

First Post
Of course, this is the problem with naming things. Almost anything can be torn apart to some extent. (Baldur's Gate?)

I'm not good at phonetic representation, but I was thinking more like Phahn-dahl-in. With the emphasis on the second syllable.

But sure, I suppose that can be twisted as you posit.

Thaumaturge.

That's what I was thinking of using: Phan-DAHL-in, as opposed to Phan-dah-LEEN.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Maybe I'm late to this realization, but it seems clear now that the Starter Set is actually an adventure with the core rules attached, not the other way around (the core rules with an adventure attached). I'm fine with this, but it isn't exactly a product that can be used for years to come.

I disagree - I still use The Keep On The Borderlands adventure I got with my first Basic Set back in the early 80s. I've used modified versions of that adventure across three different game editions. Same goes for my copy of Isle of Dread which came with the Expert Set. A well written adventure included with an intro set can be used for a long time.

(This is in contrast to most adventures in most intro sets that I've owned - usually they're not worth playing except as tutorials for new players. But since that's what they were designed to be, I can't fault them for that.)

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
That text is lifted from The North: Guide to the Savage Frontier, which is set in 1370 DR. But given the intention to make the fifth-edition Realms like the fourteenth-century Realms, they'd not be getting off to a good start if the scenario didn't work in the original setting.
Thanks Faraer, FYI 5R FR is advancing the timeline rather than doing a retcon. Just as i suspected. This is more than a hundread years ago and in the current 5E timeline in the 1490ish DR Phandalin may very well be a village inhabited by human once again, as opposed to being a ruin inhabited by monsters...

The only thing i'm trying to say is that the state of Phandalin as presented in The North might not be accurate anymore.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
I'm excited about the starter set as I'll be getting it on the 3rd at my local wizards outlet, but if Mearls thinks that online videos "stand the test of time", I just need to laugh. So if I open up my Starter Set in 20 years time the tutorial videos' URLs mentioned therein will be still valid? Not bloomin' likely, guvnor!

I'm happy the PHB is off to the printers now, that means there is no turning back and for good or ill, the die is cast.

I look forward to seeing the mechanics behind the pregen fighter with the big axe, my sources tell me it's going to be Brutal.

I dunno. www.tsr.com still works. And it's been 15 years now since that was a thing.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
but if Mearls thinks that online videos "stand the test of time", I just need to laugh. So if I open up my Starter Set in 20 years time the tutorial videos' URLs mentioned therein will be still valid? Not bloomin' likely, guvnor!

That's not what he said though.

He said, "The locations and encounter scenarios introduced in that adventure have stood the test of time, with DMs still using them to run games today. "

That paragraph wasn't even referring to instructional videos. The instructional videos are not a necessary element for this set, just an additional one. The videos are simply a demo of what's already explained in the material...useful, but not necessary.

Remove ads