• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Season 8 will switch to the Organized Play rules presented in XGTE

darjr

I crit!
The reason 'bookkeeping' is a career, is because of all the people who get headaches when they have to work with numbers or keep track of something (especially something that can move).

A few rare souls - of whom I am one - actually LIKE it.

May the morning lord bless you!

CapnZapp

Legend
I maintain that there needs to be a justification for the XGE deposit rule. It doesn't accomplish what you think.

(Of course we don't know exactly how close to those rules AL will end up, so it might not be an appropriate discussion for this particular forum)

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

devlin1

Explorer
It occurs to me there may be an adventure-design issue with this new reward paradigm. Currently, you can incentivize choices or behaviors in an adventure by tying an XP award to them -- stuff like keeping your word, helping an NPC, etc.

F'rinstance, in the CCC adventure I wrote (self-aggrandizing, I know, but it's the first one that comes to mind!), there's an XP award for accomplishing a task that starts at a certain amount but decreases for each mistake the characters make in the course of trying to solve it. Later, an NPC might ask them not to share with another NPC some information the PCs may discover. If they tell both of them, each NPC pays them for it, but if they don't, the PCs earn more XP.

I like being able to use XP awards to make certain actions feel more meaningful, or to give the players a sense of accomplishment for going above and beyond the call of duty. But if we don't care about XP anymore, stuff like that goes out the window. And even if the admins hadn't said they plan to severely cut down on story awards in the future, story awards aren't really appropriate for things the PCs do that don't have a narrative impact going forward.

Is there an equivalent for something this fine-grained under the checkpoint system? I don't really see how there could be.

Last edited:

Nutation

Explorer
Is there an equivalent for something this fine-grained under the checkpoint system? I don't really see how there could be.

If a single adventure awards more than one checkpoint, then there is some opportunity, but the grains are pretty chunky.

devlin1

Explorer
If a single adventure awards more than one checkpoint, then there is some opportunity, but the grains are pretty chunky.

It's what, one checkpoint an hour, I believe? So the ratio of checkspoints:adventures is already established.

An alternative is breaking checkpoints down into smaller sub-units, like friggin' cryptocurrency or something, but that way lies madness. Like, it's so ridiculous it doesn't bear mentioning.

(That means they're gonna do it.)

And another thing! I like that Deja Vu DM Quest, where if you run the same adventure more than three times, subsequent players earn more XP from it. But just a little more. What's the checkpoint version of that? Or Adventure Calls, where you earn rewards equal to those of your players? Or any DM Quest that doubles your standard DM rewards. Would this only apply to downtime and gold?

Obviously, the answer to all of these rhetorical questions is that the whole DM Quests program will change at some level. I'm just trying to point out that a more fine-grained system has its advantages, and one of them is the ability to be more flexible when it comes to DM rewards.

bmfrosty

Explorer
Looking forward to them implementing this for AL.

The only question I've had is how they're going to deal with hardcovers.

I think what makes sense is applying a maximum number of milestones reached per chapter.

Like for SKT, Chapter 1 would have maximum of 16 milestones. Or Death House for CoS would have 8.

Remathilis

Legend
Looking forward to them implementing this for AL.

The only question I've had is how they're going to deal with hardcovers.

I think what makes sense is applying a maximum number of milestones reached per chapter.

Like for SKT, Chapter 1 would have maximum of 16 milestones. Or Death House for CoS would have 8.

I second this. If we're not tracking XP anymore, then we're going to have to know how many checkpoints per AP. This gets even more complicated, of course, because you have to set checkpoints per chapter, and some chapters (like Castle Ravenloft in CoS or Savage North in SKT) that are MASSIVE and you can spend dozens of hours in them, while others (like say, Yester Hill or Rumblings) are basically a one encounter.

Remove ads