• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Second Level Spell Slot Feat

jayaint

First Post
I have too many books to buy... the list is TOO long.

In the meantime, a friend mentioned that Complete Arcane has a sidebar with a feat in it that allows a 2nd level spell slot at first level. (Or something to that effect.) Does anyone have any clarification on that feat, i.e. whether it is 1st level ONLY, etc.

Also... does Complete Divine have the same thing sneaked into it somewhere?

Thanks.

-jay

fafhrd

First Post
The feat is indeed first level only. It grants you a 2nd level spell that you can cast once per day with a successful caster level check. Once you gain access to 2nd level spells through normal progression, it turns into an extra second level slot. I believe it also grants you a +2 to a skill(spellcraft IIRC).

jayaint

First Post
Does it require "Ability to cast 1st level arcane spells"? Cause if not, I would like to really speed up the Mystic Theurge Progression by taking both the arcane and (house rule, possibly) the divine version of said feat. A character could get into MT @ 3rd level, rather than fifth, with the added bonus of having an extra 2nd level spell slot for both caster types. That would free up levels 14-20 for more tailoring of high level spells and powers.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
jayaint said:
Does it require "Ability to cast 1st level arcane spells"?
Precocious Apprentice (CArc, p.182) requires (Spellcasting ability - Int or Cha) 15 and arcane caster level 1st.

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
DaveStebbins said:
So then, with this feat, a PC could take mystic theurge at 5th character level instead of 7th?

There was discussion of this on the WotC boards, with... Rich Baker, I think? saying that that wasn't what they intended.

Here:

Rich Baker said:
We're going to issue a little clarification on this soon. Here's the deal: It doesn't count for qualifying you toward a prestige class. Our (thin) rationalization is that you can't consistently and successfully cast 2nd-level spells, because you're "reaching" with that caster level check.
Wizards of the Coast, Inc.

-Hyp.

Last edited:

green slime

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
There was discussion of this on the WotC boards, with... Rich Baker, I think? saying that that wasn't what they intended.

Here:

-Hyp.

Which road was it again that was paved with good intentions? Seems to have slipped my mind....

jayaint

First Post
So WotC is going to make said feat TOTALLY worthless, as opposed to a desirably worthless means to an end.... *sigh*

Li Shenron

Legend
Rich Baker said:
We're going to issue a little clarification on this soon. Here's the deal: It doesn't count for qualifying you toward a prestige class. Our (thin) rationalization is that you can't consistently and successfully cast 2nd-level spells, because you're "reaching" with that caster level check.

What if I don't sign "the deal"? Too late, Mr Baker... :]

Remove ads