• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Selling gems and jewels

Dimwhit

Explorer
So when selling magic items, you're supposed to get about 50% of market value. What about gems/jewels? I thought I had read somewhere that it's more than 50%, but I can't find it. Anyone have a cite for how much gems/jewels sell for? Is it the same 50%, or is it more?

WHW4

First Post
From the d20 SRD:

Selling Loot

In general, a character can sell something for half its listed price.
Trade goods are the exception to the half-price rule. A trade good, in this sense, is a valuable good that can be easily exchanged almost as if it were cash itself.

Wealth And Money :: d20srd.org

Edit: No clue why I read your post as trade goods; however I think gems are as good as cash as well. In fact, we usually just carry gems in lieu of gobs of platinum or gold pieces.

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
50% always seems so antiseptic to me. Granted, I realize it is for ease of play. I often use 25% + 1d4x10% as a starting value, and then allow my PCs to haggle to improve the price (using Diplomacy/Bluff/Intimidate, based on the situation). It takes a little more work, but my players seem to like it. It isn't by the rules, though.

lordxaviar

Explorer
50% always seems so antiseptic to me. Granted, I realize it is for ease of play. I often use 25% + 1d4x10% as a starting value, and then allow my PCs to haggle to improve the price (using Diplomacy/Bluff/Intimidate, based on the situation). It takes a little more work, but my players seem to like it. It isn't by the rules, though.

i agree here, it depends on who you selling to... if your trading out with a merchant of goods... then most likely you will get full or close to value...but for a money lender, jeweler etc... your going to get closer to half to 3/4's so he can make a profit on it... (dont you watch pawn stars...lol)

Trance-Zg

First Post

The 50% rule is made for quick sell/buy option and go back to dungeon.

In a village/town/city you can look for specific buyer and get maybe even 90-95% value. I.E. selling +1 sword to local wizard is realistic for 90% as he will have to do nothing and still make 10% profit on it.

On the other hand returning after raid on orc outpost and trying to sell 27 battle axes, 15 scale mails, 18 great axes, 38 studded leather, 98 daggers and 3 javelins you'll be lucky to get 30%

Remove ads