[Sept 2015] What Are You Reading?

delericho

Legend
I've just started "Crime and Punishment", by Dostoevsky. Thus far, there hasn't been much of either. Next up will be "Memoirs of a Geisha", I think.

I've just finished reading "Ghosts in the Black" for the Firefly RPG. I'm now all caught up on my RPG reading - the next will be "Out of the Abyss" when that gets released. Well, that and the monthly Pathfinder volumes, of course.

So, anyone reading anything interesting?

Elodan

Adventurer
Just finished Veiled by Benedict Jacka. The sixth book in the Alex Verus series. Overall a very good series. Book started a little slow (like the last book in the series), but picked up about of 1/3 of the way in.

Before that I read Tarkin by James Luceno. I really liked it. Good bridge between the Tarkin we see the Clone Wars series and Rebels.

About to start the Pathfinder novel Reign of Stars by Tim Pratt. Picked up a bunch on Kindle that were on sale. Used to subscribe but Ed Greenwood's novel turned my off of that, so now I pick and choose.

At the bookstore the Shakespeare does Star Wars books caught my eye, are they any good (if you're not a huge fan of reading Olde Englishe)?

Recently finished: The Fortress of the Pearl, by Michael Moorcock
Currently Reading: The Dresden Files RPG: Our World, Evil Hat Games, and History of the Popes, by Juan María Laboa Gallegos

delericho

Legend
About to start the Pathfinder novel Reign of Stars by Tim Pratt. Picked up a bunch on Kindle that were on sale. Used to subscribe but Ed Greenwood's novel turned my off of that, so now I pick and choose.

Greenwood's novel is the only real stinker I've seen in the series. The rest have all been pretty decent (for game-related fiction, anyway). If you haven't tried them, James Sutter's two novels and "Pirate's Promise" are probably the best to date.

At the bookstore the Shakespeare does Star Wars books caught my eye, are they any good (if you're not a huge fan of reading Olde Englishe)?

I enjoyed them. Oddly enough, I thought "The Phantom of Menace" was the best thus far.

Bought the follow-ups to Joe's Abercrombie's "Half a King" ("Half a War" and "Half a World") so I'll be getting into that pretty soon. Also trying out the first book in two new series, "Shadow Campaigns" by Django Drexler and "Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne" by Brian Staveley.

AR

Richards

Legend
I'm halfway through Stephen King's "Bag of Bones," which isn't bad since it's over 700 pages long and I just started on Thursday. It's been very good thus far. Before that, I just finished L. E. Modesitt, Jr.s "Adiamante." It was the first book of his I'd ever read...and likely the last. There were a few good parts in it, but it just wasn't the sort of thing to hold my interest.
[MENTION=22424]delericho[/MENTION]: I read "Memoirs of a Geisha" about a year or so, and enjoyed it immensely.

Johnathan

Crothian

First Post
I read through Star Trek Typhon Pact. Fast books full of action and familiar characters doing amazing things. It is surprising how little they feel like Star Trek though. They have the familiar names and places and boy do they like to name drop but the books lack the nuance and the patience of the shows. The scope of them is ridiculous what happens in the alpha quadrant isn't enough but it has to involve things from Beta and Gamma. As if one quadrant is somehow too small to set anything in.

One the good side of things I am reading the latest October Daye book called A Red-Rose Chain and it is great as I expected. It is the best urban fantasy series I have read and I've read more then a few over the years as I really enjoy the genre.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Ghost Fleet by August Cole and P.W. Singer. Both are consultants for the military. They specialize in high tech and war. The book is about what WWIII might look like with drones, cyberwarfare and space as a theater.

Should be interesting.

delericho

Legend
I finished "Crime and Punishment" last night. Which was spectacularly depressing -

[sblock]you know things have become pretty bad when being sent to Siberia constitutes a happy ending[/sblock]

(Not entirely sure it's necessary to spoiler-block a 19th century novel, but there it is.)

Anyway, I'm going for something lighthearted to try to cleanse my palate after that one, so I'll be reading "Liar's Island", the most recent Pathfinder Tale, next. And then "Memoirs" as I mentioned before.

Jhaelen

First Post
I've finished "God's War" by Kameron Hurley. I'm not sure how well I liked this one. I felt the story was a bit uneven and underdeveloped. It's a fresh and intruiging setting, but it's hard to care about any of the characters, and the 'grittiness' sometimes feels a bit forced and overdone. So, for the time being, I won't get the sequel(s).

I now started reading "River of Gods" by Ian McDonald. I had to look up a lot of words in the beginning, but given the setting, that's fine. I cannot otherwise comment on much, yet, since the first part of the book seems to be all about introducing a bunch of (quite varied) characters.

Remove ads