[Serenity RPG] Across the 'Verse - OOC.

Vertexx69

First Post
As a syndicate "negotiator" sometimes the questions needed to get asked in a bit more creative manner. Having someone along that not only isn't afraid to walk the creative side of that line, but revels in it can be quite useful. Being sadistic doesn't need to be completely overt like throwing ones head back and laughing maniacally (most sadists today don't show in public at all), as I was thinking of it as more of a stoic acceptance of horrific violence, if even a fascination. It wasn't the violence that made the kid leave the "family" but his share of the take.

I could have sworn there was a chart somewhere that showed which attribute went with which skills, but I don't seem to have it in my book.

Last edited:

Maerdwyn

First Post
I can see that as a character aspect in general; I guess I would need to figure out how to make it enough of an in-game hindrance to you to justify the 4 attribute points it would get the character. The uncontrollable nature of the book's interpretation of the complication ("Never miss an opportunity to torture and maim those under your power"), seems key to it's point value.

Related issue - if it is going to be a major part of the character, will he and Thanee's character (who has an "Always protect the weak" major credo) get along enough to share a ship long term? I guess there is potential for role playing the conflict if both players want to go there.

(Thanee, what are your thoughts on that point?)

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Below is a -very rough- workup of what I'm looking at. I'm seeing this character as a very offbeat, eccentric sort of intellectual almost in a sort of Dr. Who vein. Main job on board would be keeping the ship running, with secondary skill in medicine and sciences.

I could use input/help on selecting skill specialties for the engineering skills, as well as some idea of what these traits I've picked do...and possibly some alternative ideas that suit the concept.

The name's just a placeholder. :)

Thoughts?

Name: Vortex Henderson
Job:

Agility 1d6 (6)
Strength 1d4 (4)
Vitality 1d6 (6)
Intelligence 1d12 (12)
Alertness 1d12 (12)
Willpower 1d8 (8)

Initiatitive: 1d6+1d12
Life Points: 14

Skills: 62/68
Athletics d6
- Dodge d8
Influence d4
Knowledge
Linguist d6
Mech Engineering d6
Medical Expertise d6
Perception d6
Pilot d4
Planet Vehicles d4
Science Expertise d6
Tech Engineering d6
Guns d6

Traits:
Math Whiz (2)
Mechanical Empathy (2)
Steady Calm (2)
Total Recall (4)

Lightweight or Scrawny (-2)
Memorable (-2)
Credo: Help the weak (-4)
Loyal (-2)

Gear:
1500 credits

Last edited:

Maerdwyn

First Post
Cool :)

I followed each skill with the book's suggested specialties - these are only examples, though; you can come up with your own too.

Skills: 62/68
Athletics d6 (Climbing, contortion, dodge, juggling, jumping, gymnastics, a team sport, riding, weight lifting, etc.)
- Dodge d8

Influence d4 (administration, barter, bureaucracy, conversation, counseling, interrogation, intimidation, leadership, marketing, politics, seduction, streetwise)

Knowledge (appraisal, cultures, history, law, literature, etc.)

Linguist d6 (a specialization counts for one language)

Mech Engineering d6 (create mechanical devices, machinery maintenance, mechanical repairs, security systems, plumbing)

Medical Expertise d6 (general practice or any real world specialty)

Perception d6 (deduction, empathy, gambling, hearing, intuition, investigation, read lips, search, sight, smell, tactics, tast, tracking)

Pilot d4 (Specific types of craft [gliders, short range shuttles, gunships, etc], aerial navigation, astrogation, astronomy, astrophysics, space survival)

Planet Vehicles d4 (Anything from cars to canoes to hovercraft to nuclear subs; ground vehicle repair; aquatic navigation

Science Expertise d6 (earth science, historical science, forensics, life science, mathematical science)

Tech Engineering d6 (Communication systems, computer programming, hacking, create/alter technical devices, demolitions, electronics, technical repair, technical security systems.

Guns d6 (assualt rifles, energy weapons, grenade launchers, gunsmithing, machine guns, pistols, rifles, shotguns.)

Traits:
Math Whiz (2) (solve most math problems automatically, +2 step for rolls involving accounting, engineering, or navigation, or wherever math is required.)
Mechanical Empathy (2) (May spend plot points to intuit what's wrong with a machine and gain a bonus to fix it)
Steady Calm (2) (+2 bonus to avoid surprise or being shaken or disturbed)
Total Recall (4) (+2 to to any roll where memory is useful, or spend plot points to recall something verbatim)

Lightweight (delicate constitution, -2 to avoid affects of substances or disease) or Scrawny (-2) (-2 to strength checks involving athletics and to influence checks involving physical appearance)

Memorable (-2) (Others gain a bonus when trying to notice or recall you)
Credo: Help the weak (-4) (Mental compulsion strong enough to put yourself in danger in order to follow through on it)
Loyal (-2) (pick a group that can count on your loyalty, and you will do anything short of sacrificing your own life to come through for them)

Couple other possibilities to consider:

Depending on how eccentric you are thinking, a minor complication in leaky brainpan (occasional delusions, odd outbursts, etc)

Ego signature (minor): a personal and identifiable touch you leave on all your work

Thanee

First Post
Related issue - if it is going to be a major part of the character, will he and Thanee's character (who has an "Always protect the weak" major credo) get along enough to share a ship long term?

Well, torture would obviously not be tolerated at all. So it better wouldn't come to my attention. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
I'm still interested.

I'll put together some ideas this evening. Traveling between cities has been eating up my time over the holidays.

Vertexx69

First Post
I think I'm going to withdraw from this one, as I'm not really in the mood to play a face anymore. Good luck with the game though, firefly rocks :)

Thanee

First Post
Sorry to see you go, Vertexx69 (I hope my last post has nothing to do with your decision; don't really think so, though ;)).

And good to see Thondor moving again. :)

Bye
Thanee

Maerdwyn

First Post
Sorry to hear that Vertexx, and sorry to have turned you off the game. :(

Good luck with your next one, and if you want to come back in here, let me know.

Thondor, glad to hear it :)

G

Guest 11456

Hey Maerdwyn it has been a while.

If you are still taking entries:

Ship's Engineer

Remove ads