• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Several questions on Ranged Pin feat (Complete Warrior)

RigaMortus

Explorer
When you use Ranged Pin, does the arrow (assuming you use a bow and arrow with it) do damage to the opponent, or does it just pin them against a wall/tree/whatever?

Is the opponent considered grappled? Or pinned? If so, do they lose their Dex bonus? If so, do they lose their Dex bonus to you (normally when you grapple someone they lose Dex bonus but not to the person grappling them, but in this case an arrow is sort of grappling them)

Are there any feats besides Improved Grapple (which doesn't work with Ranged Pin) that are grapple related?

shilsen

Adventurer
IDHMBIFOM, so take the following with a few pinches of salt.

When you use Ranged Pin, does the arrow (assuming you use a bow and arrow with it) do damage to the opponent, or does it just pin them against a wall/tree/whatever?

Just the latter, IIRC.

Is the opponent considered grappled? Or pinned? If so, do they lose their Dex bonus? If so, do they lose their Dex bonus to you (normally when you grapple someone they lose Dex bonus but not to the person grappling them, but in this case an arrow is sort of grappling them)

If the feat description says that they count as pinned, then they suffer the effects of being grappled, with the added effects of being pinned. In that case, I would say they lose thir Dex bonus against everyone including you, since you're not actually physically pinning them (the arrow is).

Are there any feats besides Improved Grapple (which doesn't work with Ranged Pin) that are grapple related?

I believe some of the monk-related feats in Complete Warrior are grapple-related. There's one which allows you to do extra (1d12, I think) damage when pinning an opponent, for example.

RigaMortus

Explorer
If this helps:

Ranged Pin
Benefit: You can perform a ranged grapple attempt againts an opponent by pinning a bit of its clothing to a nearby surface. The target must be within 5 feet of a wall, tree or other surface in which a thrown weapon or projectile can be stuck and must be wearing some sort of clothing, armor or other accoutrement. You must succeed on a ranged attack (not a ranged touch attack) and win an opposed grapple check (your size modifier and target's size modifier still apply). To break free, the victim must make a DC 15 Strength check or a DC 15 Escape Artist check as a standard action.

Len

Prodigal Member
Damage: No. If it's just pinning their clothing then it doesn't hurt.

Pinned: No. It's confusing to call it "Ranged Pin", but the effects don't seem to match. For one, you can break free with a grapple check. Breaking free from a pin requires two successive grapple checks. And if you're pinning someone you can keep them from speaking, which doesn't make sense when it's just a bit of their clothing that is "pinned".

Grappled: I'm not sure. The description implies so ("You can perform a ranged grapple attampe") but then I'm not sure what to do with the Dex bonus - the normal rule doesn't seem to make sense here. On the other hand, if you're not grappled then what exactly is the effect of Ranged Pin?

Tagnik

First Post
If you use Ranged Pin against an opponent, they become grappled. So you can use a grapple attempt at range. So does that mean you can pin them with a second shot?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads