• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shackled City Adventure Path (Chars Selected)

Land Outcast

Explorer
It's an instinct, calling him to protect those who are in similar situation as his. That is the first part.

The second part: Having someone to care about is a symbol for him, until now he had been taken care of, then he was alone, now it is something like "completing the circle". He's seen it down the sewers and up in the city, those who eat be eaten.

That brought him a purpose greater than "will I be able to eat tommorow?", basically awoke the human within him. Curiosity was the first thing moved when he saw her, but then other more human-like emotions/thoughts started returning.

So, what would we usually do, where would we hang around?

Last edited:

Malvoisin

First Post
Phyrrus, here is a background for my wizard, Othmar Grindle.

What do you think?

[sblock=Othmar's Background]Othmar Grindle never knew his father.

Agnes Grindle was widowed while her only child Othmar was still a toddler. The boy's father fell ill and died, leaving Agnes struggling to support herself and her son in her menial job as a washerwoman.

Othmar grew up under the constant, watchful eye of his overprotective mother, never allowed to play games with the other children for fear he might get hurt. Othmar grew up with a sense of reverence for his dear mother, and spent most of his time doting on her and trying to please her. It was also during his childhood that he began to develop his odd speech patterns, full of long words and needless repetition.

By his early teens, it had become obvious that Othmar was an extremely bright child, a fast learner with a prodigious memory. Agnes, recalling that her great-uncle had been a wizard of some small renown in Sasserine, decided to take the boy to Bluecrater Academy and see if Othmar too had the gift of the mage. Indeed, the arcane instructors at the Academy recognized Othmar's gift right away, and he was admitted as a student of the Academy.

Othmar was a bright study of arcane lore despite his personality quirks. He developed a voracious appetite for knowledge of any sort, and spent most of his time studying in seclusion. He made virtually no friends. The only exception to his intensive study was the daily visits with his dearest mother who he revered all the more for having enlisted him in Bluecrater.

Sadly, Othmar's life has recently taken a turn for the worse, as Agnes passed away unexpectedly from unknown causes. For Othmar, this has been a terrible loss, and it has caused him to take a leave from his formal training at Bluecrater. While he still studies independently at the Academy library sometimes, he mostly spends his time wandering the streets of Cauldron, looking for a direction in life. He still lives in his mother's ramshackle house, down near the lake's edge.[/sblock]

Malvoisin

First Post
Here also is Othmar's personality and description:

[sblock]Othmar Grindle is something of a lost soul, seeking meaning in a life that had revolved around his now-dead mother. He is a good-hearted person, and cares about the suffering of others, even if he doesn't always know how to express his concern. He is devoted to the knowing of things, especially the arcane, no matter how obscure or useless. He speaks in a strange manner that can make him off-putting to those who don't know him, and he is socially awkward.

Othmar stands 5'8" and weighs a portly 200 pounds. His brown hair is balding and his face scruffy. He dresses in brown robes that may or may not be clean and he leans on a crooked staff. Despite his girth, he is surprisingly robust, physically. He often has a distracted air, as though pondering great secrets. A barn owl is often seen perched nearby, on a rain barrel or the eave of a building. Othmar often carries on conversations with the owl, whose name is Fidelis (though he sometimes slips and calls the owl Agnes).[/sblock]

Attachments

• Tuck2.JPG
    Tuck2.JPG
    2.3 KB · Views: 78

Phyrrus

First Post
Malvoisin: Any concept that can work Friar Tuck in as the portrait is a good one.

I think the history works fine and all there is left to do now is stat him out and purchase the gear.

Phyrrus

First Post
Whizbang: Nice story for the paladin and while I know you have your heart set on going anti-hero down the road, I didn't see anything in his write-up that will cause clashes between how he sees things and how the common folk of the church see things.

Is the dog just for flavor, or will he be used as an "7th" member of the team if a battle breaks out?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Phyrrus said:
Whizbang: Nice story for the paladin and while I know you have your heart set on going anti-hero down the road, I didn't see anything in his write-up that will cause clashes between how he sees things and how the common folk of the church see things.

Is the dog just for flavor, or will he be used as an "7th" member of the team if a battle breaks out?
I figured that would be up to you. If you wanted it just for flavor (and didn't want the hassle of worrying about a dog), that's fine. He certainly wouldn't take the dog dungeon crawling, but the dog would be there (and jump in) if he got jumped in "civilian life."

My heart's not set on the anti-hero thing (Knight of the Chalice is pretty spiffy instead). There are some subtle hooks in there that would eventually disconnect him from the side of good, theoretically, or perhaps not.

Third level is a ways off, but how do you feel about the Ancestral Weapon feat? It's in BoED, so I know that's a strike against it with many ;), but it looks pretty balanced -- it allows a non-spellcasting character to essentially buy upgrades for a single weapon at approximately the same price as the DMG magic item cost tables. Arak would pick up a masterwork greatsword before level 3 (purchased, of course) that would just happen to be his uncle's greatsword. Then, from level 3 on, he'd pour money into it and it would slowly turn magical and improve over time. I don't know if the Shackled City campaign has that sort of money floating around or is built to accomodate players taking a hand in their own magical item creation. If it's a no-go, that's cool, I just thought it was a flavorful feat.

Malvoisin

First Post
Phyrrus said:
Malvoisin: Any concept that can work Friar Tuck in as the portrait is a good one.

I think the history works fine and all there is left to do now is stat him out and purchase the gear.

:lol:

I know, that image just coming into my mind as I was imagining Othmar. I thought I'd include it for fun.

Character sheet coming tonight.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Malvoisin said:
Here also is Othmar's personality and description.

I think Othmar's the primary candidate for knowing/interacting with Weapon; afterall, he is one giant walking arcane mystery (and protection too!). Any thoughts?

Phyrrus

First Post
stonegod said:
We had a discussion about this elsewhere, and concluded it is probably the same as the bard (similar casting in armor requirements, similar weapon proficiencies).

Using Bard fund for Warlock is fine with me also.

Phyrrus

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I figured that would be up to you. If you wanted it just for flavor (and didn't want the hassle of worrying about a dog), that's fine. He certainly wouldn't take the dog dungeon crawling, but the dog would be there (and jump in) if he got jumped in "civilian life."

My heart's not set on the anti-hero thing (Knight of the Chalice is pretty spiffy instead). There are some subtle hooks in there that would eventually disconnect him from the side of good, theoretically, or perhaps not.

Third level is a ways off, but how do you feel about the Ancestral Weapon feat? It's in BoED, so I know that's a strike against it with many ;), but it looks pretty balanced -- it allows a non-spellcasting character to essentially buy upgrades for a single weapon at approximately the same price as the DMG magic item cost tables. Arak would pick up a masterwork greatsword before level 3 (purchased, of course) that would just happen to be his uncle's greatsword. Then, from level 3 on, he'd pour money into it and it would slowly turn magical and improve over time. I don't know if the Shackled City campaign has that sort of money floating around or is built to accomodate players taking a hand in their own magical item creation. If it's a no-go, that's cool, I just thought it was a flavorful feat.

I have no problem with the sinking of money and XP, my caveat to the system, to level up a sword/armor/item that has a real role with the char(s). So if there is a feat that unlocks that aspect when we reach that point, then we can definately go from there. Perhaps the sword may be given freely/taken from the family vaults at that time to make it a deeper aspect of the story.

As for the canine, I would prefer that he stays in the kennel when you have to do the "important" things, but when you are on R & R, then having a dog with you isn't a biggie.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads