Shackled City - Ch. 1: Life's Bazaar

Blastin

First Post
"I agree as welll, let's set off now. I would like to see where this happened and start on the kidnapper's trail while it is as fresh as possable."

Catavarie

First Post
Sym ponders over the riddle in his head a bit, still obviously flustered by the events that have unfolded this evening.

themind
[sblock]I want to take 20 on my knowledge local skill against the riddle, if not able to take 20 then I rolled an 11 against skill

themind said:
"The locks are the key to finding them.
Look beyond the curtain, below the cauldron.
Beware teh doors with teeth.
Descend into the malachite 'hold, where precious life is bought with gold.
Half a dwarf binds them, but not for long."
Haven't figured out the locks part yet,
Curtain = could be the gates of Cauldron
Below Cauldron = could refer to the many caves located below the city
Doors with Teeth = could be Cave entrance with stalagmites and stalagetites looking like teeth
Malachite hold = perhaps A Malachite mine
Life bought with gold = slave trade maybe
not sure as to the "half dwarf binds them, but not for long" part yet

[/sblock]

Sym stands slowly and takes a deep calming breathe:
"I do not see what good this riddle will do for us, even if we start with the locks at the orphanage, I don't know what we expect to find there that may lead us to find answers to the rest of this riddle, but I will do my best to assist in any way which I may be able to.

And as for your comment,"
Sym states flatly, eyeing Heimdal,"what makes you assume I am a theif? Have I stolen anything of yours? Nay! Did I rush into the fight blindly without assessing the situation at hand? Nay again! Because I chose to be cautious does not make me a coward, and because I possess a few skills that many would concede to be for purely selfish reasons does not make me a common theif. Perhaps a bit more patience is what you need to fully understand the world around you, and the many different facets of this world which do not fit into your rigid veiw of right and wrong. I joined with you in the fight against the thugs because I felt it was the right thing to do and although my methods may seem a bit odd at times and even a bit perplexing I will say that those very methods and quirks and even sudden changes in personnality have served me well. Someone standing with their head held high and covered in shining armor stands out in the lowliest parts of town, such does someone with their hood pulled low sleeking thorugh the shadows in the more arostocratic part of town, because I can fake a sense of calmness upon my face and demenor does not mean that I am any less terrorfide than the rest of you. And sometimes a sharp mind can get you out a situation faster than a quick blade. Now if we could agree to not stab each other in the back and try to trust one another perhaps we just may survive long enough to outlive the marks placed on each of our heads."

themind

Explorer
Ok, a note I forgot to mention, Each of the Potions has the symbol of St. Cuthbert on the bottle

You head out toward the orphange, when you reach it, it looks that it is closed down for the night. The children are probablyh in bed by now.

Catavarie

First Post
Sym scans the orphanage carefully looking to see if there is any easy way into or ontop of the orphanage

"Perhaps we should setup a watch around the orphange to see if anyone suspicious comes to calls this night? And if I can find a way to the windows I can assure that they are truely secured."

Catavarie said:
Sym ponders over the riddle in his head a bit, still obviously flustered by the events that have unfolded this evening.

themind
[sblock]I want to take 20 on my knowledge local skill against the riddle, if not able to take 20 then I rolled an 11 against skill

Haven't figured out the locks part yet,
Curtain = could be the gates of Cauldron
Below Cauldron = could refer to the many caves located below the city
Doors with Teeth = could be Cave entrance with stalagmites and stalagetites looking like teeth
Malachite hold = perhaps A Malachite mine
Life bought with gold = slave trade maybe
not sure as to the "half dwarf binds them, but not for long" part yet

[/sblock]

Sym stands slowly and takes a deep calming breathe:
"I do not see what good this riddle will do for us, even if we start with the locks at the orphanage, I don't know what we expect to find there that may lead us to find answers to the rest of this riddle, but I will do my best to assist in any way which I may be able to.

And as for your comment,"
Sym states flatly, eyeing Heimdal,"what makes you assume I am a theif? Have I stolen anything of yours? Nay! Did I rush into the fight blindly without assessing the situation at hand? Nay again! Because I chose to be cautious does not make me a coward, and because I possess a few skills that many would concede to be for purely selfish reasons does not make me a common theif. Perhaps a bit more patience is what you need to fully understand the world around you, and the many different facets of this world which do not fit into your rigid veiw of right and wrong. I joined with you in the fight against the thugs because I felt it was the right thing to do and although my methods may seem a bit odd at times and even a bit perplexing I will say that those very methods and quirks and even sudden changes in personnality have served me well. Someone standing with their head held high and covered in shining armor stands out in the lowliest parts of town, such does someone with their hood pulled low sleeking thorugh the shadows in the more arostocratic part of town, because I can fake a sense of calmness upon my face and demenor does not mean that I am any less terrorfide than the rest of you. And sometimes a sharp mind can get you out a situation faster than a quick blade. Now if we could agree to not stab each other in the back and try to trust one another perhaps we just may survive long enough to outlive the marks placed on each of our heads."

"My apologies, good sir if I have offended you, but your demeanor has thus far not spoken well of you. However, again my apologies if I have mis-judged you."

By the way Catavarie, nice RP speech.

Blastin

First Post
"As the building is closed now, perhaps we should retire after we assure ourselves it is secure. We will do no good to anyone if we attempt this investigation exausted. Does anyone know who runs this place? Perhaps they even have a place inside where we can rest. I know that I require no more than a bit of empty floor."
At that Friar Blutok looks at the front door, and checks if it is locked. If it is he will turn to Sym: " Perhaps you can start with this lock?"
After Sym checks it, or decides not too, Friar Blutok will make to knock on the door, unless someone wishes to stop him.

themind

Explorer
The windows you find on the orphange are barred and secure, while the locks are good locks and seem not to have been tampered with.

Catavarie

First Post
I want to assure that there is no one around that may see what we're doing as odd, and then atttempt to open the lock of the front door.

"As Sym slides one of his picks into the lock the pick snaps in half breaking apart."

Rolled a 1

Last edited:

Blastin

First Post
ooc:wow....this roller doesn't like us;)

Friar Blutok walks up behind Sym. "Umm...well...it appears that they are good locks."
He then Knocks on the door loudly
"Is anyone inside? We were sent by Mistress Jenya of St. Cuthbert. May we come in?"

Remove ads