Shackled City - Ch. 1: Life's Bazaar

Blastin

First Post
" If this offer has anything to do with missing children, like Ruphos mentioned, then I would be very interested to hear it. Besides, it appears that in saving Ruphos we have been marked by thses people as enemies."

themind

Explorer
After you all sit, an acolyte offes some hot tea. Once you are settled, Jenya begins. "As I am sure that most of you know, there has been a brash of kidnappings the last few months. The victim would dissapper during the night, and their placed picked clean of valuable possesions. The most recent of the kidnappings happened to be four children from the Lantern Street Orphanage, and despite the attack of Ruphos, I'm not going to back down from finding them."

I am glad that you want to help. I will run down the info that I have already. It was three nights ago that the children were taken, their names are Deakon, Evelyn, Lucinda, and Terrem.

On that night, none of the other children of orphanage staff heard or saw anything. The rooms are set up where there is one bedchamber for boys and one for girls, two children from each room were taken. The windows are barred in each room, and the locks are of excellent craftsmanship. The children are also locked in their rooms during the night so they don't cause any mischief during the night. However, there was no sign of entry.

You are also aware that I have publicly vowed that the Church of St. Cuthbert would find the children and bring the kidnappers to justice. To that end, I have used the Star of Justice, a strong weapon that only the church's high proest is supposed to use, and since the High Priest is at the Capital at the moment, I saw no problem in using in this dire time. The Star of Justice has the power to use Divination, however it can only be used once per week.

I used this power earlier today. I asked 'Where are the children who were abducted from the Lantern Street Orphanage?' and I recieved a cryptic answer.

"The locks are the key to finding them.
Look beyond the curtain, below the cauldron.
Beware teh doors with teeth.
Descend into the malachite 'hold, where precious life is bought with gold.
Half a dwarf binds them, but not for long."

"I believe the first line of the riddle refers to the locks at the orphanage. I would like to hire you all to help find the children and who ever else that was kidnapped in the last few months, and to bring the kidnappers to justice.

I can offer each of you a Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds and 2500 gp after the completion of your quest[color] she says.

Catavarie

First Post
"I thought you said this star thing was powerful magic? What's with the cryptic response? I mean why didn't it just tell you where they are at instead of giving you these creepy clues? Afterall am I the only one that finds this all a bit odd? Do any of you know what we're talking about dealing with here? Those thugs back there weren't common street trash they were trained killers and if they knew what we are talking about here they would kill us all!", Sym's voice begins to crack as his tone continues to rise in pitch as he speaks,"Hell we'll be lucky to make it out of the city alive as it stands now, they've marked us all for death!"

Sym looks around the room at each of the people gathered around the table, his eyes showing his terror he's sensing, sweat begins to form on his brow as his eyes shift back and forth over everyone.

Blastin

First Post
Friar Blutok leans over the table and pats Sym on the back.
"be at ease friend. They might have been trained, but I would say not trained well by the ease with which we drove them off. Like all bullies, they run when confronted."
Turning to Jenya he says, " I, for one, will help. The servents of St. Cuthbert are not the only ones that are outraged by this atrocity. Heironeus teaches us that the strong must protect the weak from the evils in the night. I intend to do just that."

themind

Explorer
Oh crap, thats right. There were two unconcious thugs in the alley after the battle. Were you going to do anything with them?

Catavarie

First Post
If you insist on going through with this task your going to need my help, something tells me the good friar here, nor any of the rest of you, have much experience in dealing with locks or presumably locked rooms.

Sym takes his seat and ponders to himself what he has just agreed to

themind said:
Oh crap, thats right. There were two unconcious thugs in the alley after the battle. Were you going to do anything with them?

OOC: [sblock]Give them both a through yet quick search to look for anything of importance or value, and then bind and gag them...perhaps we should send a couple of those guards we saw on patrol to pick them up as well?[/sblock]

Last edited:

Rapida

First Post
"Count me in, I detest anyone who would dare hurt a child. But the riddle is puzzling."
With a sly smile Ivellios adds, "And I will definitly beware of anyone doors with teeth."

ooc all
[sblock] Oh they were just unconcious? I could see getting them and taking them to the church for questioning[/sblock]

derbacher

Explorer
It looks as if this Sym fellow will need some watching.

"Fear not, my new friend. Stout hearts and strong arms will keep us well, and Pelor's light will bless us in this endeaver."

Thardin turns to the priestess.

"I will, of course, be of whatever service I can in this hour of need. The children WILL be found."

"Below the Cauldren? Possibly somewhere beneath the city itself? Does anyone here have knowledge of where this could be?"

Remove ads