• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shadow in the Sky, Chapt 1 of TRM's Second Darkness [IC]

The Rolling Man

First Post
Larur thinks for a moment. "You won't need to keep them entertained for the whole evening, there's plenty of gambling games and other things to keep everyone busy. You just need to spice up the evening a little. Just show me the various move you can do and we'll work something out. If I'm satisfied, it'd be an easy 10 sp for you and your friend." The dwarf turns to the red-headed human. "And, what does your friend do, by the way ? Maybe he could tell the audience a few funny stories and present you ?"

Last edited:

Dr Simon

Explorer
Tolly looks a little surprised.

"Me?" he asks. "Well, I wasn't really... I mean, I was just wandering by and..." He stops babbling and extends a hand to Larur.

"Tolly Garnus at your service," he says. "I guess I can tell a yarn or two, and I can turn a few little conjuring tricks, you know, coin behind the ear kind of thing. If you want someone to schmooze the punters, I reckon I'm the man to help you there. I was rather interested in Cheating the Devil and Winning His Gold tonight, though. What's your policy on employees joining the tournament?"

Voadam

Legend
"What ever it is, it is a very bad omen. We should hurry to this golden goblin!" Rorgar says. His face is darkening. These damned cities, they seem to have damaged a friends mind and bring danger for whole creation, like a spreading cancer...

"As we go keep your eyes out for other urban animals in the city. Rats, feral dogs, cats, workhorses. Rats in particular. Could be just the gulls were summoned away, or something might have spooked all the natural wild animals." He considers for a moment. "The gate crashing leads me to think it will be just the gulls. Best to keep our eyes open though. Its a mystery for now, perhaps it was a sea vampire who calls gulls instead of bats."

Voadam joins the half-orc and the dwarf in heading into the city.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Kronk snorts and chuckles. "Maybe their just stupid. Gulls. Little better than flying rodents, I say. But you got one thing right: Got to keep an eye on the animals, but not especially the rats. It's the squirrels that bear close watching. I've not figured it all out yet, but the squirrels are important."

ghostcat

First Post
Chan Ti Monk 1

"OK. Here goes." Ti repeats the fighting moves that he showed to Hans, followed by a number of tumbles, rolls, flips and walking on hands. Finishing with a dive over Larur going into a tumble landing and ending up on his feet. "How's that, anything you can use?"

OOC
Acrobatics +7, taking 10 and taking care to not try anything above DC 17.

Voadam

Legend
Voadam glances down at the dwarf's squirrel shirt as they go. "I mention rats because they are closer to the wild than pets or workbeasts. Seaports rarely lack for rats but each city is different. Are squirrels common here? If they are then their absence would be of note as well. What have you noted about the squirrels here?" Voadam engages the dwarf in conversation, giving Rorgar an opportunity to evaluate his old friend while Voadam picks up bits about both the city and the dwarf.

The Rolling Man

First Post
Tolly looks a little surprised.

"Me?" he asks. "Well, I wasn't really... I mean, I was just wandering by and..." He stops babbling and extends a hand to Larur.

"Tolly Garnus at your service," he says. "I guess I can tell a yarn or two, and I can turn a few little conjuring tricks, you know, coin behind the ear kind of thing. If you want someone to schmooze the punters, I reckon I'm the man to help you there. I was rather interested in Cheating the Devil and Winning His Gold tonight, though. What's your policy on employees joining the tournament?"
Larur accepts Tolly's hand and shakes it vigorously. His hand is rough and firm. "Yep, that's what I had in mind. You'll have the hard task of getting everyone's attention and putting them all at ease before presenting the skill of your exotic friend here. Now, let's see what he can actually do." Larur Feldin smiles has he watches Chan Ti make his display. "Good, good, most impressive. It almost seems like you could do better however. Are you holding back because you didn't want to fall on your butt in front of me ? Ha, ha, don't worry. This isn't some Korvosan grand show hall. You two will do fine. We just need to come up with an interesting routine and make you fit with the theme of the evening … Maybe I could find you some 'devilish' costumes. I can't say I really approve of tonight's theme but the boss thinks its curiosity will help us attract more audience. Oh, I almost forgot. I think we'll place your performance only late in the evening so you'll have time to participate in the tournament if you wish. I'll only require you to read and sign one of these." Larur retrieves a piece of parchment from one of his pockets and hands it to Tolly.
[SBLOCK=Parchment]I, ____________________, do hereby sacrifice my immortal soul and the worldly sum of 10 pieces of silver to the Devil to hold in escrow against his own stake of 10,000 silver coins in the gambling tournament being held at the Gold Goblin Gambling Hall of Riddleport on this Oathday, 14th day of Arodus, 4708 AR.
I understand that my soul will be placed on deposit in the Hells’ deepest pit of Nessus. Furthermore, I understand that all winnings shall be catalogued in concordance of souls, to be represented by teeth, eyes, and hearts of the damned. By participating in the gambling tournament and beginning in the first pit of Avernus, my winnings shall earn my way deeper through the Hells on the following schedule:
Dis—1 gold eye
Erebus—3 gold eyes and a Badge of Dis
Phlegethon—5 gold eyes and a Badge of Erebus
Stygia—10 gold eyes and a Badge of Phlegethon
Malebolge—25 gold eyes and a Badge of Stygia
Cocytus—50 gold eyes and a Badge of Malbolge
Caina—75 gold eyes and a Badge of Cocytus
Nessus—100 gold eyes and a Badge of Caina
I understand that if I should lose my stake in the tournament I shall receive the Devil’s Mark and my soul shall be cast upon the rocks on the shore of the River Styx. I understand that if I elect to cash in my winnings before reaching the pit of Nessus I shall forfeit my soul and 50% of the cash value of my winnings for said early departure.
If I am the first player to reach Nessus, then I am granted the redemption of my soul and the right to Cheat the Devil and Take his Gold in addition to collecting my winnings. In such a circumstance, all other players shall receive the Devil’s Mark and forfeit their souls.
This is I do swear.
Witnessed by: __Old Scratch[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

The Rolling Man

First Post
Grand opening !

About 6 hours after midday, 14th of Aroden AR 4708.

As the day advances, some of the water evaporated by the hot sun start to form clouds in the highs surrounding Riddleport. It isn't long before the clouds hide the sun again and the city is once again under it's usual gloom. On the other hand, it's getting late and the Gold Goblin should open soon. This means that the gambling tournament is about to begin !

[SBLOCK=Tosh]With the sun finally lower and hidden behind clouds, Tosh comes out of hidding and secretly makes his way through the city. He knows Riddleport well and, by using little used alleys, reaches the Gold Goblin without attracting much attention. There's already many people gathered in front of the brass domed establishment. From what his red eyes can see, most of them form an unorganized queue, waiting to get registered and enter main doors. Holding more interest for the little kobold are the alternate entrances : the back door that leads into the scullery and a small coal chute he spotted a few days ago.[/SBLOCK]

[SBlock=Rorgar, Kronk and Voadam]The morning has been frustrating for the trio coming from Lubbertown. First, they got lost by following a confused Kronk throught the city. When they finally found the Gold Goblin around midday, they found out that the establishment was closed until the evening. Now, much later, they are happy to see the crowds of participants and spectators milling about on the street or filing together through the main doors to sign up for the tournament. Overseeing this gathering is a larger-than-life-size statue of a goblin, apparently cast in glittering gold, that stands atop the entry stairs with a smirking expression of satisfaction on its face, as if personally enjoying the crowds that shuffle past it into the doorway beneath the gambling hall’s gilded dome. It takes some time but eventually the trio gets pass the main doors and are greated by a tall bouncer and two sultry beauties scantily clad and wearing faux bat wings, devil horns, and tails. The alluring beauties playing the role of succubi hand pieces of parchment to all three. "Welcome to the Gold Goblin, sirs. We'll need your signature or your mark if you want to enter and try to steal the devil's gold. Hopefully, you'll get lucky and exit richer and with your soul." One of them says with a wink. Here's what can be read on the parchments :
[SBLOCK=Parchment]I, ____________________, do hereby sacrifice my immortal soul and the worldly sum of 10 pieces of silver to the Devil to hold in escrow against his own stake of 10,000 silver coins in the gambling tournament being held at the Gold Goblin Gambling Hall of Riddleport on this Oathday, 14th day of Arodus, 4708 AR.
I understand that my soul will be placed on deposit in the Hells’ deepest pit of Nessus. Furthermore, I understand that all winnings shall be catalogued in concordance of souls, to be represented by teeth, eyes, and hearts of the damned. By participating in the gambling tournament and beginning in the first pit of Avernus, my winnings shall earn my way deeper through the Hells on the following schedule:
Dis—1 gold eye
Erebus—3 gold eyes and a Badge of Dis
Phlegethon—5 gold eyes and a Badge of Erebus
Stygia—10 gold eyes and a Badge of Phlegethon
Malebolge—25 gold eyes and a Badge of Stygia
Cocytus—50 gold eyes and a Badge of Malbolge
Caina—75 gold eyes and a Badge of Cocytus
Nessus—100 gold eyes and a Badge of Caina
I understand that if I should lose my stake in the tournament I shall receive the Devil’s Mark and my soul shall be cast upon the rocks on the shore of the River Styx. I understand that if I elect to cash in my winnings before reaching the pit of Nessus I shall forfeit my soul and 50% of the cash value of my winnings for said early departure.
If I am the first player to reach Nessus, then I am granted the redemption of my soul and the right to Cheat the Devil and Take his Gold in addition to collecting my winnings. In such a circumstance, all other players shall receive the Devil’s Mark and forfeit their souls.
This is I do swear.
Witnessed by: __Old Scratch[/SBLOCK]
OOC note : the adventure assumes you have the 10 sp for this so you don't have to pay anything.[/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=Chan Ti and Tolly]Chan Ti and Tolly spend most of their day preparing and practicing their act for the evening. Larur was able to piece together a costume for them. Some hideous masks, leather suits, faux-bat wings and fur gloves complete the look of fake devils. Larur's idea is to pretend Tolly and Ti are devils that came to entertain the client of the Gold Goblin with their guile and acrobatic prowess. The pair is currently relaxing on some battered chairs in the small staff lounge. From what they are starting to hear in the nearby main hall, the rest of the staff is starting to accept the first clients of the night. Larur told them that he would get them once the time for their act was close. He also said that if they wanted to gamble, they should do it without the costume in order to avoid spoiling the 'surprise'.[/SBLOCK]

Walking Dad

First Post
Rorgar reads the parchment and looks at the others. He doesn't like the idea to risk his soul for wealth. Perhaps there is another way in...

Voadam

Legend
Voadam smiles broadly at the dusky "fiendish" hostess and accepts the scroll. He gives her an appreciative look [sblock]perception check with ranger favored enemy for anything hinting at actual fiendishness masquerading as mortal masquerading as fiend.[/sblock]
After reading it over with some chuckles he gives her a wink as he approaches her. "I could use a friendly devil's advocate here to explain certain of the terms in this infernal contract." He slips one arm around her waist while holding up the scroll for her to see with the other "Down here on the bottom, you see it mentions a devil's mark. What can you tell me about that? Will the lost souls tonight be marked in pitch or does this call for something else? And as for a witness, I'd say you are far too lovely a vision of temptation to go by the name Old Scratch, so tell me your truename and point out if you can which devil here will answer to that other name? Is he observing from the shadows and waiting until the end for a grand reveal or is he in the hall right now?" Voadam scans the crowd [sblock]again also looking with an eye for real versus faux fiendish things. [/sblock] before returning his attention back to the hostess on his arm "Also what are the terms if a black wizard like myself has no soul to sell?" The latter is said with a wink.

Remove ads