D&D 5E Shadow Sorcerer + Warcaster + Polearm Master + Eye of Darkness = Is It insane?

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
My quick fix for that is to say center-gripped shields can be equipped as an object interaction but can be disarmed just like weapons, whereas shields secured by enarms can’t be disarmed but take an action to don or doff like armor.
I'd further argue if the shield is strapped to my arm and difficult to drop them that would leave my hand free to do various weapon/item swapping shenanigans.

Then, as the GM, I'd overrule myself and say the only way you can swap weapons "freely" is by throwing or dropping one, not stowing and unstowing as if you are juggling three hands worth of items.

Also how does the warhorse see in the magical darkness?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I'd further argue if the shield is strapped to my arm and difficult to drop them that would leave my hand free to do various weapon/item swapping shenanigans.
I wouldn’t, because while you may be able to wiggle your fingers and even grasp the hilt of a dagger whilst a shield is strapped to your arm, you also have a shield strapped to your arm, which is going to be quite cumbersome and get in the way of quickly drawing and stowing small items on your person.
Then, as the GM, I'd overrule myself and say the only way you can swap weapons "freely" is by throwing or dropping one, not stowing and unstowing as if you are juggling three hands worth of items.
Right, you get one item interaction on your turn. Whether or not you have a shield equipped doesn’t change that, it just reduces the number of free hands you have with which to interact with objects by 1.
Also how does the warhorse see in the magical darkness?
I don’t think you meant to address this question to me, but my answer would be “it doesn’t.”

Standard aventuring day.
Cool. It would be interesting to see how the sorceror performs as well.

So: 6 - 8 (We'll go with 7) combats, 3 rounds each, over the course of 16 hours. An hour between combats, but only opportunity to take 2 short rests over the day.
Base assumptions:
The creatures you're fighting are AC 13, aggressive, but not mindless. They will move to attack in melee for preference over their ranged attacks, but will not deliberately take damage or risk themselves: There will be the opportunity for one movement-based opportunity attack from PAM (which both characters will probably have), and one other instance of "voluntarily" taking damage (triggering BB, moving into persistent AoE etc) every combat.
The character is a member of a party (rogue, healer, arcane caster) who will provide flanking 50% of the time if they can see the character, but will not buff them. (No Haste, or Bless from them for example. - Effects that you cast yourself are fine.)
There is no overkill, but because the rest of the party are killstealing jerks, the character will only actually take down one opponent each combat.
No applicable resistances. Characters have a +1 magic weapon and opponents take full damage from any elemental effects the bladesinger uses.

Anything missing, or anything else people think should be stipulated?

Last edited:

Xetheral

Three-Headed Sirrush
Technically you need Dual Wielder to be able to draw and sheathe a weapon on the same turn, since it uses your object interaction. I know a lot of DMs are more generous with such interactions than what RAW allows, but it’s something to be aware of and discuss with your DM before assuming it will work.
I've seen it argued that RAW limits the number of objects that can be interacted with to one, but doesn't limit the number of interactions with that object. The text in the PHB says:

PHB said:
You can also interact with one object or feature of the environment for free, during either your move or your action.

I think there is definitely some ambiguity in there. In any case I think that RAI has to be only one interaction, considering the list of examples is full of things things like "draw or sheathe a sword" rather than "draw and sheathe a sword".

With his Warhorse, He can move 120fts per turn without provoke oportunity attack (Darkness).
Wait, wait, wait! You’re riding a Warhorse, that does not have darkvision, in pitch dark, at full speed?

The horse broke a leg, roll a Dex saving throw (DC 14) or take 1d10 dmg and be knocked prone. If you fail the save by 5 or more, you take 3d10 dmg and are pinned underneath the horse (DC 13 Ath check to escape).

Hohige

Explorer
Wait, wait, wait! You’re riding a Warhorse, that does not have darkvision, in pitch dark, at full speed?

The horse broke a leg, roll a Dex saving throw (DC 14) or take 1d10 dmg and be knocked prone. If you fail the save by 5 or more, you take 3d10 dmg and are pinned underneath the horse (DC 13 Ath check to escape).
You Control the Warhorse. So, its ok.

You Control the Warhorse. So, its ok.
Bold move! You spend your action attempting to use Animal Handling to Control the Warhorse with a broken leg to get off of you. It fails (no roll), since the horse is beyond listening to you at this point. It’s not going anywhere.

Given that you are pinned and prone below the horse, the melee enemy walks up to you and attacks. Assuming you succeeded on your Concentration check on Darkness from the horse falling on you, the prone and darkness cancel each other out. On a straight roll against AC 17 however, a CR 8 enemy has a good chance of seriously damaging you.

Last edited:

Hohige

Explorer
Bold move! You spend your action attempting to use Animal Handling to Control the Warhorse with a broken leg to get off of you. It fails (no roll), since the horse is beyond listening to you at this point. It’s not going anywhere.

Given that you are pinned and prone below the horse, the melee enemy walks up to you and attacks. Assuming you succeeded on your Concentration check on Darkness from the horse falling on you, the prone and darkness cancel each other out. On a straight roll against AC 17 however, a CR 8 enemy has a good chance of seriously damaging you.
It was never broken leg, because you control the warhorse.
The Steed doesn't need darkvision, because you control it and you can see on Darkness.

It was never broken leg, because you control the warhorse.
The Steed doesn't need darkvision, because you control it and you can see on Darkness.
Right, by RAW totally how the rules work. Also totally not how actual horses work.

My guess is that between all the DMs who would oppose it on principle, and all the ones who would strike upon a real world limitation of horses to punish this Sorcerer from using the same set of powergaming tactics over and over again, this horse would eventually end up with broken legs or whatever at a majority of tables where the lack of horse darkvision occurred to someone.

Hohige

Explorer
Right, by RAW totally how the rules work. Also totally not how actual horses work.

My guess is that between all the DMs who would oppose it on principle, and all the ones who would strike upon a real world limitation of horses to punish this Sorcerer from using the same set of powergaming tactics over and over again, this horse would eventually end up with broken legs or whatever at a majority of tables where the lack of horse darkvision occurred to someone.
It doesnt hold water...
The Steed is under Control and the Rider can ser through darkness. It works very well.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases