• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shadowdark looks so good!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Kelsey shared in on the Discord. Didn't check if it was optional content or core since I'm certainly going to use it. Reminded me of the creepy Red Witch in GoT.
OK, so probably a draft from Cursed Scroll #3.

She is playing faster and looser with balance in those, FYI. The Pit Fighter in #2 is more resilient than the fighter, especially at low levels, when the "get back up from bleeding to death" stuff matters the most and the desert assassin class from the same issue is extremely powerful.

We'll see if she rebalances all of it before they're officially released this summer.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I think that's a perfectly normal response! Also in game, I hope all the PCs feel the same!

But when one does shows up, I hope that uneasy, queasy feeling makes things interesting.

It doesn't help that I've been watching a ton of A24 films...
If you haven't seen it, Wellington Paranormal's most recent (I think) season has a very good Midsommar parody that is worth watching for DMs before they try and do something similar, just to see how the players (and their characters) may well undercut things.

Jahydin

Hero
If you haven't seen it, Wellington Paranormal's most recent (I think) season has a very good Midsommar parody that is worth watching for DMs before they try and do something similar, just to see how the players (and their characters) may well undercut things.
I haven't, but will check it out, thanks!

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
The implied self-harm slowly boiling over to full blown murder? Easy to see how that would be off-putting to decent people.

Yeah, that's totally fair. I was just asking @Aldarc which aspect, or aspects, were the massive turn-off. I wasn't criticizing the preference, it just wasn't very specific.

If a PC were to use it though, I think it would be a fun dynamic to play out. How much creepiness would the party allow? Maybe the Seer hides their penance for as long as they can till things start to spin out of control? Lots of fun possibilities for me.

Agreed.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Eh. This won’t be in my games or it’ll be modified. Specifically the PCs commuting ritual murder bit.
I suspect most people will default to using the Cursed Scrolls content in games that are centered on that content only, if all three of them have classes that are so outside the norm. (Exception: I think the pit fighting content from #2 is very portable. I could see it showing up in a City State of the Invincible Overlord type setting, for instance.)

Scribe

Legend
The implied self-harm slowly boiling over to full blown murder? Easy to see how that would be off-putting to decent people.

If a PC were to use it though, I think it would be a fun dynamic to play out. How much creepiness would the party allow? Maybe the Seer hides their penance for as long as they can till things start to spin out of control? Lots of fun possibilities for me.

I'm just glad we get a game where something like this is released.

I certainly can appreciate "Different games can appeal to different people."

kapars

Adventurer
This class is wonky. I'm doubting Kelsey designed it. No cap on increasing the fate die talent, permenent effects on penance table, and most players are not going to allow someone to trot off to sacrifice 9 humanoids. (I hope...) And penance table by tier instead of random. And far too many luck tokens.
Yes she did. She explains that the classes for a Zine are for the most part contained to the setting. She says she want to experiment with the luck die mechanic.

Edit: I don’t follow on the no cap on increasing the fate die talent. A level 10 character will have rolled on the table 5 times and in the unlikely event they rolled 3-6 each time they would be at 8 uses per day.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads