• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shaman Core Class?

Acmite

First Post
I'm looking for a Shaman Core Class--something along the lines of a Sorceror (ie: spontaneous casting) mixed with a druid.

More of a nature-shaman than a spirit-shaman, basically.

Where should I look? Are there any Homebrew Shamans I should take a look at?

I'm working on my own version for a new campaign, but I was hoping to scam ideas from someone else. :)

I'd prefer something OGC (or something someone posted on the boards) as opposed to something published, since I need to work this out in the next couple days.

Having said that, if anyone knows a good published version, by all means share!

--> Oh, and if you have any ideas on how to make/use a Technowizard PrC for a standard 3rd ed campaign, check out this link here

Falcon

First Post
I really like Green Ronin's "The Shaman's Handbook." It may not have everything you are looking for, but there is a lot packed in the book. There is a lot of stuff on the spirit world, as well as the natural forces a shaman can tap into. And the shaman's spells selection options pretty much run the gamut of sources. There are reviews of this and the concurrent Mongoose book at the ENWorld site. They are informative reviews in terms of content, so they may help.

starwolf

First Post
Also check out the Net Book of Classes, there is a Shaman work up in both Vol 1 and Vol 2. Both are workable in a pinch. I have one question though....Why look for a Shaman without Spirit's?
A Shaman's whole reason for existence is to commune with the spirit plane...otherwise he's just a Cleric or Druid

Acmite

First Post
Well, I'm basically looking for a druidic-type character that casts spontaneously.

I don't want Wildshape or anything, but there may be other "abilities" that may be appropriate that I'm not thinking of.

The campaign I'll be playing in doesn't fit with the spirit-based shaman, but could accomodate one with a totemistic or animal focus.

I checked out the reviews available (thanks for the heads up!). They both sound good, but have too much of a spirit focus for what I need right now.

hong

WotC's bitch
Acmite said:

I checked out the reviews available (thanks for the heads up!). They both sound good, but have too much of a spirit focus for what I need right now.

The Green Ronin shaman sounds like exactly what you're looking for, mechanics-wise. The background and cosmology you don't have to keep; just write your own to fit your setting.

Acmite

First Post
hong said:

The Green Ronin shaman sounds like exactly what you're looking for, mechanics-wise. The background and cosmology you don't have to keep; just write your own to fit your setting.

Hmmm...can you give a quick preview? The reviews (by Simon and Psion) suggest a larger spirit focus.

What are the basics? Spontaneous casting? Special abilities (like a Druid)? Domains? etc.

Thanks!

Mystic Eye

First Post
Acmite said:
Well, I'm basically looking for a druidic-type character that casts spontaneously.

I don't want Wildshape or anything, but there may be other "abilities" that may be appropriate that I'm not thinking of.

The campaign I'll be playing in doesn't fit with the spirit-based shaman, but could accomodate one with a totemistic or animal focus.

Hey there,

Next time you are in your local game store or Walden's/Borders check out our Worldbook for the Hunt: Rise of Evil. The Shaman class in there is simple in design but very functional and I think itfits what you are after.

AnthonyRoberson

First Post
Kingdoms of Kalamar Shaman

Acmite said:
... campaign I'll be playing in doesn't fit with the spirit-based shaman, but could accomodate one with a totemistic or animal focus...
You might want to check out the Shaman class in the Kingdoms of Kalamar Player's Guide. It uses totems and has a lot of similarities to the Druid class.

Psion

Adventurer
Well of the two Shaman books, Green Ronin's is the less "spirit" dependant of the two. Mongoose's book pretty much requires that you make the spirits that the character interacts with. Green Ronin's is more general, and only requires that you make totems. Still, many of its abilities (such as Rebuke Spirit) are spirit related.

Remove ads