Shield Fighting

durath

First Post
What size are shields considered for two-handed fighting?

PHB page 106:You can bash an opponent with a shield using it as an off-hand weapon.......used this way a shield is a martial bludgeoning weapon. For purposes of attack penalties, treat a shield as a light weapon.

As for your first question-I don't think there is a hard and fast rule about it. I suppose it would be up to your GM.

Zhure

First Post
Like bonuses don't stack, with a few exceptions.

The armor bonus from a shield will stack with the armor bonus from armor, but there's no clause that says it will stack with the armor bonus from another shield.

(I think)

In any event, I can see either ruling.
Greg

nameless

First Post
This is kind of the realm of house rules, but I simply renamed the AC bonus from a shield to be a "Shield Bonus". Makes some of the stacking issues easier, and doesn't create weird problems with non-armor Armor bonuses.

As for the holding two shields, I personally wouldn't allow it. I can't quote a reason other than aesthetics, and metagame balance (shields with feats become much better than other weapons). Reminds me of carrying two tower shields and getting full cover (9/10ths, depending on interpretation) at all times in battle, while still flinging spells and such.

-nameless

Dr. Zoom

First Post
nameless said:
This is kind of the realm of house rules, but I simply renamed the AC bonus from a shield to be a "Shield Bonus". Makes some of the stacking issues easier, and doesn't create weird problems with non-armor Armor bonuses.
Do you allow the shield bonus to stack with other armor bonuses besides actual armor? For instance, will shields stack with mage armor? Bracers of armor? Do you count it when flat-footed? Or vs. touch attacks? I think it is more trouble than it's worth. It is an armor bonus that simply stacks with actual armor.

Darkness8Me

First Post
Shirt Guy John said:
Can you use two shields at the same time and get full benifit from each? What size are shields considered for two-handed fighting?

Though you could use two shields at the same time, you wouldn't get any defensive benefit from the second shield. The armor bonus from the shields would not stack.

Also, the PHB specifies that a shield bash is an off-hand attack. By the rules (ignoring how stupid fighting with two shields would look) you would be limited to half your strength bonus for all attacks.

Remove ads