D&D 5E Shield Saltiness

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
If walking around with a shield at the ready is rare enough to draw attention, then the town must be safe enough that the paladin shouldn't need the shield much. So if the issue is coming up often, that seems like a disconnect.

Ultimately, however, it's the DM's call. Myself, I prefer to handwave this kind of thing. I don't feel it adds anything to the game to fuss over whether the PCs have their gear ready at any given moment.

Moreover, it tends to hit martials much harder than casters. Does the DM make the party wizard keep track of what time of day they cast mage armor? It only lasts 8 hours, after all.
The thing that throws me off about this is the reason people don't walk around with shields equipped in Strahd is because they don't own shields. If they did, they would equip them all the time. Because it's not safe. Almost nothing and no place is safe in that adventure. Any day which doesn't end with you being bitten by a vampire, chewed on by a werewolf, assaulted by an intelligent plant or your spouse or children dragged off by Gods know what is a good day in that adventure.

Personally, if I were DMing it I would not have the guards harass you much for equipping a shield. At least, they shouldn't be harassing you more or less than they otherwise would for being strangers in town. Heck a bunch of those towns have no guards anymore. They were all eaten. Or worse.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
There's a feat in a UA that lets you don a shield as a free action (it won't ever be official, but they can ask the DM). The Paladin won't get any of the other main benefits of the feat, but it may be worth it in the long run by saving one action each combat to equip it.

As for the DM thinking it's weird to walk around town with a shield, IMO it's less weird to have a shield than a weapon. If you walk around with your weapon people are wont to think you're not friendly or making trouble, while a shield just shows you think you may need it.

Last edited:

The thing that throws me off about this is the reason people don't walk around with shields equipped in Strahd is because they don't own shields.
You can make a shield if you really want one. It's literally a wooden board with straps on it.

The reason people dont go around with shields is because it's stuipid, cumbersome and just ridiculous. They're a pain in the ass. You dont see people in a coastal village raided by Vikings all the time walking around the place holding shields.

They'd certainly have them in their homes, along with a spear and other weapons.

But doing shopping or going about their daily business with a shield equipped? That's just ridiculous.
Personally, if I were DMing it I would not have the guards harass you much for equipping a shield.

It's CoS. Are there any towns with Guards?

Personally, I wouldnt care if its Barovia or otherwise. If I had a PC with armor, I would be taking it off. Frequently.

The reality of armor (and shields) are they're heavy, cumbersome, chafing and annoying to wear. There is no 'in game' rules for that, but it's just common sense.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
The reality of armor (and shields) are they're heavy, cumbersome, chafing and annoying to wear. There is no 'in game' rules for that, but it's just common sense.
This is kinda mythology.

"An entire suit of field armor (that is, armor for battle) usually weighs between 45 and 55 lbs. (20 to 25 kg), with the helmet weighing between 4 and 8 lbs. (2 to 4 kg)—less than the full equipment of a fireman with oxygen gear, or what most modern soldiers have carried into battle since the nineteenth century. Moreover, while most modern equipment is chiefly suspended from the shoulders or waist, the weight of a well-fitted armor is distributed all over the body. "

It's also padded for comfort. It's really not that bad.

The OP never said that the barbarian walks around carrying their greataxe. You can start wielding a weapon as a free action, but it's an action to don a shield.
If he's not carrying his greataxe around, but it's close enough to hand that he can start wielding it as a free action at any time, then ... um where is it? I have reeeal trouble envisioning a workable greataxe scabbard (and what if the barbarian preferred a halberd or glaive?). Maybe he's kicking it along in front of him?

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
If he's not carrying his greataxe around, but it's close enough to hand that he can start wielding it as a free action at any time, then ... um where is it? I have reeeal trouble envisioning a workable greataxe scabbard (and what if the barbarian preferred a halberd or glaive?). Maybe he's kicking it along in front of him?
Strapped on their back, or something like that, I assume. That's what I do in my campaigns.

Remove ads