• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shilsen's Eberron SH (Finished - The Last Word : 9/20/15)

shilsen

Adventurer
Hoist By Thy Own Petard (or “When wagons attack”)

As soon as the mind flayer appears, Luna drops her standard flame strike around it and the two nearby ogres, which reveals that it has some sort of magical protection against fire, since it is barely scorched. Even as the flames disappear, Korm races forward with magically enhanced speed before the ogres can react to protect it. He slashes at the creature, driving it back with a deep cut on the shoulder, but it completes the spell.

The result is something that has often been seen by the Angels. A pair of wolves appear, each as large as a horse and with a fringe of writhing tentacles. One appears beside Nameless and one beside Korm, biting into their targets and pulling them off their feet.

“What?” says Gareth, “They can do that too?”

“They’re aberrations,” says Trillia, stepping away from a wolf and beginning to cast too. “Where’d you think the roots of this magic comes from?”

Nameless too attempts to cast a spell, rolling away from the wolf as best he can. As the two alienists complete their spells, half a dozen wolves begin to shimmer into place. “That’s how you do it,” mutters Nameless.

Unfortunately, the sentiment is premature. Both nagas, which have been swaying in place and watching the enemy without acting, unleash spells that dispel the budding summons, as well as removing some of the many protective spells on the Angels.

“Oh well, I guess we do this the hard way!” says Six, teaming up with Gareth to team up on the wolf that was attacking Nameless, which they quickly dispatch.

“Hard way? What the hell do you think I’m doing?” grunts Korm painfully from the ground, as he (mostly vainly) attempts to avoid the powerful blows of the two ogres, that join the wolf in concentrating on him.

Six’s intended reply is cut off by a crunching sound beside him. To his surprise, as well as that of everyone watching, the bulk of the wagon standing near him falls off its wheels. It then slithers its way across the ground towards him, extending a long wood-colored appendage that slaps against him painfully. The appendage is coated with an adhesive fluid that sticks to him, but the warforged jerks away.

“We’re being attacked by a wagon?!”

“It’s a mimic! Don’t let it touch you!” yells Nameless.

Things quickly get worse for the adventurers. The mind flayer, who now takes to the air under presumably a pre-existing fly spell, summons three pseudonatural bison to increase the odds. The nagas continue to prevent Trillia and Nameless from reciprocating in kind, while the mimic continues to follow Six around the battlefield, lashing out with its tongue-like pseudopods. Though he lands a powerful blow against it, his spiked chain promptly sticks to it, forcing Six to retreat and draw another. Luna, shaking off a powerful blow from an ogre’s club, catches the hovering mind flayer and the naga beneath it in a dispel magic, but the spell has no obvious effect. Gareth cuts down one of the wolves, but finds two bison taking its place and keeping him from reaching the prone Korm, who is almost invisible under the multiple enemies around him.

But it is Korm, simultaneously being bitten, bludgeoned and stepped on, who buys the others some time. Bellowing an orcish war-cry, he rolls over and hurls his sword. The blade, made of meteoric iron, enchanted in the depths of the Shadow Marches by Gatekeepers to especially harm aberrations, whirls through the air and almost cuts the mind flayer in half*. Even as he screams in pain and barely remains upright, the sword flies back to Korm’s hand.

“Kill him! Kill the druid!” screams the mind flayer as he floats downwards, before gasping “Heal me - quick!” The naga beside him casts a spell and touches him, closing some of his wounds. The mind flayer also touches it and dimension doors the two of them to the other side of the battlefield and away.

As ordered by the mind flayer, the ogres and summoned creatures swarm over Korm. Just as he is about to collapse, Luna charges through the press and touches him with a paw, growling her most powerful spell. Instantly, a rejuvenation cocoon of yellow-green force envelops him, simultaneously protecting Korm and beginning the process of healing him. With Korm now safe, Luna and Gareth concentrate on taking apart his attackers.

With the mind flayer and attendant naga now focused on healing the former, Nameless staggers to his feet and attempts to cast his last major summoning spell. Before the spell is done, the remaining naga releases a dark ray of crackling energy. The enervation not only weakens him but instantly wipes the memory of the summoning spell and two others from his mind. To add injury to insult, the mimic (Six having tumbled out of its way) strikes Nameless in the back with a pseudopod, knocking him down and out. The alienist remains attached to the pseudopod, which retracts and leaves him stuck to the side of the mimic.

“Damn!” says Trillia, backing away, “We need to get out of here!”

“What about Nameless?” shouts Six, as he pulls out his third and last chain, having left a second one on the mimic.

Trillia’s throws his unconscious form a look as the mimic stalks her slowly, its pseudopods lashing out with surprising dexterity**. “We’ll have to come back for him!” With that, she hurls an orb of flame at the naga that hit Nameless.

The impact dazes the naga and Gareth takes the opportunity to charge it, followed closely by Luna. He cuts deeply into its side and the bear sinks her claws into it and pulls it into a grapple, where it writhes helplessly.

At the same time, the cocoon falls apart and Korm appears, this time with a large pair of feathery wings that he grew while inside. With sword in hand, he flies at the pairing of naga and mind flayer. This time the naga is the one to dimension door with its ally, reappearing across the battlefield. Not being maneuverable enough to change direction quickly, Korm flies at the naga grappled by Luna.

Trillia, quickly backpedaling and using a mirror image to foil the mimic, says to Luna, “That cocoon turned Korm into a butterfly?”

Hacking down at the naga, Korm growls back, “I am NOT a butterfly!” Beneath him, Luna grunts in momentary amusement and then rips the naga’s head off.

From across the battlefield, the mind flayer yells an order to the mimic, and it heads back to join him and the remaining naga. The mind flayer flies closer to it and the unconscious Nameless, a clawed hand raised in preparation for a spell.

As Korm charges him, the mind flayer gestures and speaks. Though there is no visible effect, a second later the onrushing druid smashes painfully into an invisible barrier. The mind flayer smirks, and quickly sends a bead of fire streaking in Korm’s direction. The wall of force it erected evidently ends just below the big orc, since the bead streaks a few inches below his feat and explodes in a fireball enveloping most of the group. A small orb of electricity follows right behind, striking Gareth full in the back.

The already wounded paladin staggers under the impact of the two spells and almost falls. Realizing that one more such hit will kill him, Korm flies back and encases him in a cocoon like the one Luna used on him.

Trillia, though burned by the fireball, brings down a glitterdust, which does nothing to incommode the enemy. But, seeing a growling Luna charging in, as well as Six coming in from the side, and Korm leaving the cocooned Gareth to follow suit, the mind flayer decides enough is enough.

He reaches down to the unconscious Nameless and casts a spell. Even as Luna, Six and Korm are all about to reach him, the air shimmers around him and he disappears. As does the naga beside him, and, much more troublingly for the Angels, Nameless.

* Natural 18 to threaten and 17 to confirm. Without that critical, things would have been much, much worse.
** We discovered during the fight that the wagon-mimic had higher Dex than Korm and higher Charisma than the two druids and Six!

Handled over email:
After the initial surprise of Nameless’s disappearance is gone, the Angels take apart the mimic from a distance and then discuss what to do. Gareth wants to go after him immediately, but Trillia points out that they have absolutely no idea where he was taken. Though she’d prefer to go after him as soon as possible, she says the best way to do so would be to scry on his location. Six points out that Nameless has the Shard on him, so they’re likely to be in trouble soon, but Trillia reminds him that, according to what they had learned from Arrok, as long as they’re trying actively to get to the Shard they should be all right. Hopefully.

The next question is how to get back to Sharn, since Trillia can only transport three people of human size with her and has no prepared spell to shrink any of them. At Korm’s suggestion, Luna changes into a small snake and curls up in Six’s magical haversack, and Trillia teleports the group to Sharn. After the group has gone through the contents of the wagon/mimic, that is, which they find to contain less valuable items than they had thought, though there is still a fair amount.

They reappear in Trillia’s laboratory. She tells the others that she will visit the Guild of Starlight and Shadow and see whether they have a scroll of scrying available for purchase. If they do, she will attempt to use it and, if successful, they can leave the next morning as soon as the spell casters have recovered their spells. Trillia takes most of the artifacts that the group discovered as well as all five of the gold ingots, saying that she will dispose of them and use the money to pick up necessary spells and equipment.

Before Trillia leaves, her steward Glauster says that two people had stopped by looking for the Angels. One was Dala, who seemed very concerned, and the other was a warforged called Stone, who said that he was looking for Six regarding a job.

Hearing of Dala, esp. in view of the current situation, reminds everyone that she's linked to the Shard as well. Since nobody remembered to tell her about your trip away from Sharn, she must have realized something was wrong when the distance from the Shard affected her.

Since Trillia says that she’ll be gone for hours, Six goes off to look for Stone, whom he find at the Esoteric Order. Six spends some time asking Stone, a particularly bulky warforged, about his abilities, what sort of payment arrangement he would expect if hired by the Angels, whether he is willing to accompany them outside Sharn, especially into dangerous situations, etc.

Stone, who is clearly not used to long discussions, explains that he is capable of using artificer infusions of the third power. He can both create new magical items and enhance current ones. He has substantial expertise in magical craftsmanship, being able to craft scrolls, potions, wands, armor, weapons and miscellaneous magical items. As for payment, Stone says that he would prefer to decide it on a case by case basis. Since having a set of regular customers would benefit him, he would be willing to give the Angels a certain rebate (anywhere from 10% to 25%) on standard item prices, the % being lower if he is expected to automatically put orders from them at the top of his list.

Stone also says honestly that he has no experience of actual adventuring. Though slightly reluctant, he is willing to accompany the group on adventures, but would prefer to work off a fixed daily rate (negotiated per assignment) rather than have it depend on what the group finds. Stone also points out that his abilities are not geared towards combat, either healing the wounded or standing in the rear and using a wand being most of what he could do. He is, however, very interested in the job on the whole. He's definitely not going to be able to accompany the group to Yarkuun Draal, but will be free in a couple of days.

shilsen

Adventurer
*looks at title Rackhir put up*

Yes, "Things go Pear-Shaped" sounds about right. Unfortunately, we didn't play this weekend, but interesting developments have been happening on email, so I'll have an interim post up in a day or two. Let's just say Nameless may never be the same again.

By the way, is anyone outside players from the group reading this thread? I usually see a number of hits whenever I make an update, but no posts from readers. I'll keep updating, just because doing the writeup is enjoyable and this thread is a good place to store/access it, but I was just curious.

Gold Roger

First Post
I'm still here (or rather, again, after being without computer for about 6 weeks).

Greatly enjoying myself as well. There's always something interesting to glean on the DMing side, while the PC's provide an enjoyable amount of fun and sillyness.

Sidekick

First Post
HI Shilsen - I'm definetly reading this SH.

It's very good and the Angels are a very good group - especially the not-so-pious Paladin...

Keep up the good work - from the sounds of it you've crafted a very good campaign.

Which reminds me, a question.

Did you start the campaign with an overview of what you wanted to have happen, or did you just do most of it on the fly inbetween sessions?

And who decided about Namelesses amnesia? Player, DM or a joint decision?

shilsen

Adventurer
Gold Roger said:
I'm still here (or rather, again, after being without computer for about 6 weeks).

I'd noticed you posting on the General RPG Discussion board a couple of days ago and thought, "Hmm - haven't seen him around in a while." No computer for 6 weeks? Ow!

Greatly enjoying myself as well. There's always something interesting to glean on the DMing side, while the PC's provide an enjoyable amount of fun and sillyness.

I think they're getting sillier over time. That whole 'Snookums' things completely cracked me up. I gave them an OOC visual of a mind flayer getting their messages and sitting there with a "WTF?!" expression.

ajanders said:
I'm still astonished about the "pear-shaped" remark.
I thought I was the only person who used that expression.

Thin Blue Line fan eh? Me too.

I've never heard of Thin Blue Line, but I've known and used that expression for ages. I think it may be a Britishism.

shilsen

Adventurer
Sidekick said:
HI Shilsen - I'm definetly reading this SH.

It's very good and the Angels are a very good group - especially the not-so-pious Paladin...

Keep up the good work - from the sounds of it you've crafted a very good campaign.

Thanks. I got started on D&D a lot later than most people who play it (at 25), so this is one of only three reasonably long-term campaigns I've run, and this is by far the best. I'm definitely looking to get better as a DM, but I'm also quite satisfiedwith how this one's worked out and where it's gone/going.

Which reminds me, a question.

Did you start the campaign with an overview of what you wanted to have happen, or did you just do most of it on the fly inbetween sessions?

Almost exclusively the latter. I absolutely abhor railroading, as both DM and as player, so when I started the campaign I made it very clear to the players that there was no overarching plot and the campaign would arise out of the PCs' choices.

When the campaign began, I threw a bunch of plot hooks at the PCs and they picked which one(s) to follow. These choices opened up new plots, and some of the ones which weren't picked up on also developed in the background and became important and/or were picked up on later. And as time has gone on I've tried to throw in a few different options every once in a while. I've tried to introduce elements from the PCs' backgrounds as well, as well as elements from areas that I know the PCs are interested in. All in all, it's meant that I have to be much more adaptable as a DM, but it's far more satisfying too. Plus it's always interesting for me, since I never know for sure where the PCs will end up next.

The trip to Xen'drik was the best example thereof, since the players completely blindsided me with that one. IIRC, it was Six's player who suggested they get out of town and the bunch of so-and-so's took off to en entirely different continent just as we were in the middle of a lot of interconnecting plots. If they hadn't made that choice and stayed in Sharn, they'd have got further involved with the Boromar-Daask war (which erupted to a great extent because they hijacked the Daask payroll), had more dealings with Killian, and experienced the plague/poisoning by the Children of Winter (which was a lot more successful than it would have been since the PCs decided to ignore the Gatekeepers' request to investigate). Instead, they got to blow up an island and got saddled with the Shard. That showed 'am :]

And who decided about Namelesses amnesia? Player, DM or a joint decision?

The amnesia and the fact that he walked out of the Mournland a couple days after the Day of Mourning was the player's choice. The reasons for it was my decision, and he doesn't really know the reasons, either IC or OOC. I've been dropping enough little hints with the fleeting memories and such that he has a pretty good idea, but not completely.

Hopefully that explains things, and probably in a lot more length than you wanted. But then, we've already established my verbosity in this thread.

And speaking of Nameless's amnesia, here's a bit of what's been going on...

shilsen

Adventurer
Handled over email:

In Sharn:

Gareth visits the Cathedral in an attempt to obtain some extra magical supplies. Though the Archierophant is not present, he gets to speak to one of the priests who are currently available. After hearing about the request, the latter says that the temple has a very small number of restoration scrolls, since only the Archierophant has the ability to create them, and he cannot give them away without her express permission. He does, however, provide Gareth with three scrolls of lesser restoration. He also tells Gareth that his best bet for restoration magic is the House Jorasco headquarters in Dragon Towers, though they do not generally sell such magic in item form. The patient needs to be present for one of their healers to heal him.

Gareth thanks the priest and heads back to Trillia’s home, stopping at the Deneith enclave to check on Lalia. There, he is informed that Lalia and Tasra are both expected back three days later. They are currently in Wroat as part of the security for Queen Aurala’s visit to Breland to meet King Boranel.

Meanwhile, Korm and Luna visit Carosten Park and speak to Surr’kal about what has happened. He is more than a little horrified at the news, though it’s hard to say whether that’s more because they lost Nameless or the Key. After some thought, he says that he will perform a Gatekeeper ritual for the entire group the next morning, which will give them added protection. Korm tells Luna on the way back to Trillia’s that this is not normally done for non-Gatekeepers.

Trillia returns four hours after she left, looking quite tired. She says, “Lots to report. Most importantly, I managed to scry Nameless successfully, and he’s alive. He was in a big circular room, with ceiling crystals, that pink covering on the walls, a sphincter - all that stuff we saw before. There were four slabs in there and Nameless was lying on one, completely stripped down. The slab had that pinkish material covering it and there were strips of it over his feet, hands and mouth like they’d grown there. I studied him for a few minutes and he never made a move, so I assume he was still unconscious. Just when the spell was about to end, a mind flayer and a dolgaunt came in. The dolgaunt looked just like the one that came along with the wagon-mimic, and the mind flayer looked a lot like the one we fought, with a big deformed eye and one empty socket, but its tentacles were intact. Neither of them noticed the sensor from the spell [OOC: I rolled two natural 1s on their Int checks!]. The mind flayer said to the dolgaunt, “Wake him,” and it went over to Nameless. I couldn’t see what it was doing from the angle I had, but I did see it wrap a tentacle around his head and then the damn spell ended. But at least we know he’s alive.”

Trillia stops, takes a deep breath and then reaches into her haversack. She starts pulling out packets and putting them on a nearby table. Scrolls roll out of one and another clinks softly. As she puts them down, she explains, “I disposed of most of the items we found, some to the Guild and some to reliable people I know. I presume you wouldn’t mind, since we’ll need a lot of magical backup to safely get in there, grab Nameless and get out. I picked up a LOT of stuff and would have got more if it had been readily available.” She chuckles, a little of her usual good humor reasserting itself, and says, “Let’s just say there are a lot of people at the Guild who’re feeling a lot richer suddenly.”

Having taken out all that she brought back, Trillia sits down and looks around the room. “All of you can stay here tonight and tomorrow early morning I’ll scry Nameless’s location one more time and we can leave as soon as I’m done. Does that sound good? Or as good as things can, under the circumstances.”

About half an hour after Trillia returns, there is a new arrival at her house. This one is Dala Arand. Not only does she look well under the weather, but she also looks extremely upset. As soon as she is inside and alone with all of you, she bursts out, “What the hell did you guys do with the Key? I’ve been feeling like crap since yesterday and trying to work out where the hell you went!”

The adventurers explain what happened, which naturally doesn’t improve Dala’s state of mind. “You lost the bloody Shard? Oh, that’s just great!”

After a little yelling, she manages to calm herself a bit. Trillia explains that they will be heading back there to hopefully rescue Nameless and return with the Shard. After all, it is not just Dala who has a link to it but everyone else here besides Trillia. As if to underscore her words, all of the Angels’s tattoos grow warm and begin to throb slowly. There is the usual accompanying urge to be near the Shard, but no attendant pain or feeling of illness, perhaps because not enough time has passed or because they are trying to recover it.

After a little more discussion, Dala leaves, saying that she will return at the same time next evening. After she leaves, Gareth says, “I still argue that I should be the one holding onto the Shard. I'm a little less squishy then Nameless, and by the grace of the Silver Flame I am able to resist harmful spells and poisons. I think maybe after this incident, we will change who is holding onto it.”

“That's up to you all to decide,” says Trillia, “But you have a point, Gareth. Though Nameless does have the advantage of being able to end up 500 feet or 500 miles away in a couple of seconds, when needed. At least when he’s not being licked by a walking wagon, that is. I wonder how much the Silver Flame protects against that.”

She looks across at Luna, and adds, “Might not be a bad idea to have you carry it. When you’re in animal form it would meld into you, so somebody couldn’t take it off you without actually killing you. And you seem able to absorb horrible amounts of damage in that bear form of yours. Of course, this is all academic till we recover it.”

With Trillia's words to Luna, Gareth's eyes go wide, “Hm. I think I can speak for all of us that we think that would be a bad idea. Luna is more likely to give it away to someone then have them try and kill her for it.”

Meanwhile, in Yarkuun Draal:

Nameless awakes, feeling incredibly weak. Though he does not know it, he’s in the chamber Trillia saw him in. The first thing he sees is a dolgaunt leaning over him, which he recognizes as the messenger from Naxaliyen. And the first thing he feels is the solid strips of material wrapped around his ankles/feet, wrists/hands and throat/mouth. The thick material makes it almost impossible to move and prevents speech, though it doesn’t interfere with his breathing.

The dolgaunt, which has both tentacles wrapped around the top of Nameless’s head, unwraps them and steps back. Behind the dolgaunt stands a mind flayer, dressed in long robes. Though it has a missing eyesocket and one much larger, deformed yellow eye, like the spellcasting mind flayer did, this one is slightly taller and its tentacles are whole.

It gazes at Nameless for a few seconds and then says, in goblin, “You have caused great damage, but I will find a way for you to remedy it. A pity your friends escaped. Still, you may prove interesting enough on your own. I believe you are a mighty mage, by your people’s standards. Let me see now.”

It steps forward, tentacles waving, and lets out a gurgling laugh as it advances, “No, don’t bother to stand or speak on my behalf.” Reaching Nameless, it leans over and takes his head in both hands. Two of the tentacles place themselves at his nostrils and two at his ear holes.

The mind flayer tightens its grip on Nameless’s skull and says, in a tone of amused anticipation, “Let’s see what secrets you have for Naxaliyen.” And then the tentacles burrow their way through the various orifices.

There is a long moment of more excruciating pain than Nameless has ever felt, as he feels the tentacles making their way through his ears and nostrils, and he struggles involuntarily, but the combination of the restraints and Naxaliyen’s grip make it futile. Even the accompanying scream provides no relief, since it is muffled by the band over his mouth.

Strangely, the pain dies away after a few seconds, to be replaced by a dull ache. Within it, Nameless can still feel the tentacles. There is a moment of pressure as the tentacles reach his brain, and then Nameless has the indescribable feeling of them digging into his brain. Naxaliyen sighs with obscene satisfaction and closes its single eye.

As it does so, Nameless has the fairly unique experience of actually seeing his life flash before his eyes. Naxaliyen’s face fades from his eyes and instead, everything that he has experienced begins to flash before his vision, starting at his last memory of the battle and working backwards. The memories flash faster and faster, until they are an indistinct blur, but Nameless somehow remains perfectly aware of what he’s seeing. And so, he realizes, is Naxaliyen.

Within a few seconds, Naxliyen ‘rewinds’ Nameless’s memories all the way back to the events on the island near Xen’drik. When the memories hit the encounter with the daelkyr, Naxaliyen stops and opens his eye, surprise obvious on even his inhuman face. Then the surprise is replaced by a combination of amusement and glee. “You are more singular than I thought, human. So you have this Key. And you know how to use it. Excellent!” He turns his head to look at another slab, jerking Nameless painfully (since the tentacles are still attached to him), and gazes at it. Nameless’s equipment is carefully arranged on it, including the unopened box with the Key in it.

Naxaliyen turns back to Nameless. “But how do you know how to use it? And why are part of your memories hidden even from you? And there is something else there. Show me, human.” He leans in and again closes his eye. Nameless feels a sense of renewed pressure in his head and the memories begin to flow backwards again.

They slide backwards, reversing through his adventures with the other Angels in Sharn and elsewhere, back through his experiences from the War’s end to the fall of Cyre two years ago, until they reach his last conscious memory – walking out of the mists of death around the newly created Mournland. The memories end immediately.

Naxaliyen opens his eye, this time irritation shining in it. “This will not do,” he mutters and then closes it again. As he concentrates, his brow ripples back and forth. The pressure in Nameless’s head builds up until it is back to being pain, even worse than when Naxaliyen first attached his tentacles. Inside his head, he has a vision of a locked, mental gate, with the mind flayer pounding at it with waves of ever-increasing mental force. Nameless’s vision blurs. Just as he is about to black out, there is an almost audible ‘crack’ and the mental barrier flies open. Whatever was hidden within floods out, and as the pain recedes, Nameless remembers. Everything.

Last edited:

Remove ads