Shinobi - My Take on a Naruto Based Class

ShadowyFigure

First Post
Shinobi

Primary Ability Scores: Dexterity, Intelligence, Charisma

Role – With the correct choices a shinobi could be one of the following Defender, Controller or Striker
Power Source
– "Chakra" ((Martial / Arcane / Shadow Hybrid))
Defensive Bonus – Determined by chosen Shinobi Tactic
Starting HP – 12 + Con Score
HP per Level
– 6
Trained Skills – 4 chosen from: Acrobatics (Dex), Arcana (int), Athletics (Str), Diplomacy (Cha), Endurance (Con), Insight (Wis), Perception (Wis), Stealth (Dex) and Thievery (Dex)

Shinobi Tactic – At 1st level a Shinobi may choose one of the following abbilities.

Master of Ninjutsu- Some Shinobis prefer the explosive and controlling powers of Ninjutsu techniques and so specialize in them, A Shinobi who chooses the Master of Ninjutsu Tactic receives a +2 Bonus to attack rolls made with powers of the Ninjutsu subtype and gains the Elemental Fury ability listed below. Masters of Ninjutsu gains a +2 Reflex Defense at 1st level.

Master of Taijutsu- Some Shinobis prefer to kick there opponent in the teeth or slice there stomach open with a katana and so specialize in Taijutsu techniques. A shinobi who chooses the Master of Taijutsu receives a +2 Bonus to attack rolls with powers of the Taijutsu subtype and gains the master of combat ability listed below. Masters of Taijutsu gain +2 Fortitude Defense at 1st level.

Master of Genjutsu- Some Shinobis prefer to use Genjutsu so that they make confuse and bewilder there foes before quickly striking out so that they made dissapear out of reach once again. A Shinobi who chooses the Master of Genjutsu Tactic receives a +2 bonus to attack rolls with Genjutsu and gains the sneak attack ability listed below. Masters of Genjutsu gain +2 Will Defense at first level.

True Grit- Some Shinobis Master no specific Jutsu type but instead are moderately skilled in Ninjutsu, Genjutsu and Taijutsu but you don't let that stop you as you are capable of out fighting other shinobi when it comes to Jutsu and plain endurance. A Shinobi who choose True Grit receives +2 Healing Surges and the Chakra reserves ability given below. A shinobi with true gains +1 Will Defense and +1 Fortitude Defense at first level.

Elemental Fury – Only Shinobi who choose the Master of Ninjutsu tactic gain this ability at 1st level. A shinobi adds one point of damage per die of damage a Ninjutsu power she uses does. (This damage deals the same energy damage as the power used)

Master of Combat – Only Shinobi who choose the Master of Taijutsu tactic gain this ability at 1st level. A shinobi gains a +2 attack bonus at 1st level.

Sneak Attack – Only Shinobi who choose the Master of Genjutsu tactic gain this ability at 1st level.
Sneak Attack
Once per round, when you have combat advantage
against an enemy and are using a light blade, a
crossbow, or a sling, your attacks against that enemy
deal extra damage. As you advance in level, your extra
damage increases.
Level Sneak Attack Damage
1st–10th +2d6
11th–20th +3d6
21st–30th +5d6

Chakra Reserves: You may spend an action point to recover a Healing Surge or Encounter Power you have used.

Teaching of the Ninja: A Shinobi always has the following At-Will Powers for free.

Body Substitution Jutsu
Shinobi Class Feature 1
With a puff of smoke the man disappears your blade slicing clean through the chunk of wood that replaced him.
At Will – Chakra (Ninjutsu), Teleportation
Immediate Interrupt
Target: Self
Attack: Stealth Vs Passive Perception
Hit: You are invisible until the end of your next turn. You may shift up to your Dexterity bonus squares.
Special: A Shinobi using this power must have somewhere to shift to so that they can hide such as in a tree, long grass, water ect... ect
Duplication Jutsu
Shinobi Class Feature 1
The man smiles at you placing his hands into a complex gesture there is a small burst of smoke as two clones appear by his side. Attacking you soon relies he is no longer standing where he seemed to have been as your arrow flies straight through him turning the image to smoke.
Encounter – Chakra (Ninjutsu), Illusion
Standard Action
Effect: Creates 1d4 clones (see below)
Special: The duplicates are replicas of the user only they do not have a physical body and so cannot speak or perform any action that requires having a body, like lifting an object or attacking a creature. Once touched by another create or a object, such as a weapon a clone disappears in a puff of smoke. If the user stands among his clones he gains concealment and an attack that misses him destroys one of his clones instead.

A opponent targeting the user of this power may make a perception check DC 15 to spot which ones are the clones there for getting rid of the users concealment and granting the attacker a +2 to there attack roll.
Transformation Jutsu
Shinobi Class Feature 1
You blink, as you stand before a complete replicate of yourself.
Encounter – Chakra (Ninjutsu), Illusion
Standard Action
Effect: You may change your form to match that of a creature familiar to you, this does not effect your hp, ability scores, healing surges or powers and you may perform normally if the form you have taken has the required limbs to use your powers and weapons, armor and clothing adapts to your new form. This transformation lasts 1+Int Modifier Rounds.

Last edited:

ShadowyFigure

First Post
Powers

Shinobi draw there powers from several different power sources which are named under one word “chakra”. A shinobis powers are called Justu and will be known as Chakra Powers from here on out even though a Shinobi actually draws from Martial, Arcane and Shadow Power Sources.

At-Will

Gouken (Iron Fist)

Shinobi Attack 1

Encounter – Chakra (Taijutsu), Melee Weapon
Standard Action
Target: One Creature
Attack: Melee vs AC
Hit: 1W+Str Damage
Special: This attack and any other attacks made on the same round as this power by the user receive a +2 Power Bonus to Damage.
Kiun Butsu (Opportunity Strike)
Shinobi Attack 1

At Will – Chakra (Taijutsu), Melee Weapon
Immediate Interrupt
Hit: 1W+Str Damage and target may not move any further.
Special: You may use this power when ever some one shifts or moves through a square you threaten.
Master of Combat: You receive a +2 Power Bonus to damage when using this power.
Keikai Butsu (Nimble Strike)
Shinobi Attack 1

At Will – Chakra (Taijutsu), Melee Weapon
Standard Action
Hit: 1W +Dex Damage.
Sneak Attack: You receive a +2 Power Bonus to your attack roll with this power.

Encounter

Asshou! (Complete Victory)

Shinobi Attack 1

Encounter – Chakra (Taijutsu), Melee Weapon
Standard Action
Hit: 2W+Str Damage.
Special: The target of this power must be bloodied.
Master of Combat: The user of this power may spend a full round action increasing the damage of this by 1W .

Daily
Zentai Bougyo (Total Defense)
Shinobi Stance 1

Daily – Chakra (Taijutsu)
Minor Action
Effect: Your receive a +5 Power Bonus to all Defenses while in this stance and may not move, including shifting on your own accord.
Duration:[/b] 3+Con Modifier Rounds
Special: A Shinobi may enter and exit this stance as a minor action. Of course once a shinobi has left this stance he may not enter it again. If a shinobi chooses to move he automatically end this stance.
Master of Combat: While in this stance you may make one additional opportunity attack per an opponent each turn.

Last edited:

ShadowyFigure

First Post
Ok this is based on the Naruto Anime series as is basicly a litle project for me to work on till 4e and then complete revamp on its release. I know the Shinobi has been done elsewhere but this is my take on them as I believe they should if the right choices are made be able to fit any of the rolls.

Criticism is welcomed but please don't be stupid and say some thing like YOU HAVE NO POWERZ!!!!! when I havn't put any up yet, Shinobis will have a wide variety to choose from. But I have a thick skin and a shot gun so I wont take what you say to heart...

Last edited:

RandomCitizenX

First Post
I think these three concepts could easily be separated into three class with some overlap in power choice. With the differences in HP and class features it may be too much to squeeze it all into one class.

also, did you mean the Taijutsu masters get + 2 on Taijutus powers? As written they get a bonus on Ninjutsu powers.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Interesting. I think in 4e that the classes don't get defense bonuses every level from their class. They get a one time bump at first level.

I would give a Will bump to Genjutsu, reflex to Ninjutsu, and Fort bump to Taijutsu masters.

For Kekkei Genkai (bloodline abilities), I would use race. This works really well in 4e because they already established that races can take more powerful racial feats at higher levels. Basically, you would take Uchiha clan, or Hyuga clan, or something at level one. And then as you get into paragon or epic levels you can take racial feats for your Sharingan or Byakugan or whatever that reflect your increasing power.

Most Shinobi would probably just default to being considered human.

I think 4e is a perfect fit for Naruto. Better than 3.5. Frankto has an excellent Naruto d20 game available on the net, but its based mostly on d20 Modern.

Remove ads