• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Shinobi - My Take on a Naruto Based Class

FadedC

First Post
Doesn't Shinobi just mean stealth, or "to not be seen"? I always thought it was supposed to be more of a quality then a class title, unless it's a Naruto thing (which I haven't seen).

DreamChaser

Explorer
ShadowyFigure said:
NO.

In Naruto they seem to use several elements which I can get from arcane and illusions also arcane and shade... Hmm maybe shade should also be part of this class. Also I;d like this to fit into any campaign so a DM would not have to include Chakra as a power source. If you wanted it to be chakra in a game your playing just change it to chakra. Kinda simple really.

Also I want it to be one class and one class only with feats, races and paragon apths to make it have alot of versatility.

So Naruto and Sasuke are not the same.

Also with one class It saves me time when it comes to things such as powers.

Tommorrow I will begin making and posting powers.

Heh...in my opinion, every one of your reasons given here are reasons this SHOULD be a separate power source with separate classes.

Rock Lee, Sasuke, Naruto, Yaruka, Gara, Kakashi, et al all use Chakra to power their abilities but they do so differently. As you pointed out there are three main categories: Genjutsu (Defender), Taijusu (Striker), and Ninjitsu (Controller). The important factor is that the guy with the bugs (whose name always escapes me) could render any of them powerless with his chakra eating bugs. They are not using different power sources.

Honestly, I would be LESS likely to allow a class that hybridizes not only 3 power sources but three roles than to allow a well though out concept for a new power source with appropriate and balanced classes.

I think that proceeding the way you are is, honestly, folly and will lead to a balance nightmare that few DMs will want to take the time to wade through.

YMMV

DC

FadedC

First Post
RandomCitizenX said:
Shinobi is what male ninja are called (although many sources use it interchangeably with ninja, such as Naruto)

Ah....ok I hadn't heard of that before. Is that a purely anime thing or does it have origins beyond anime?

DreamChaser said:
Heh...in my opinion, every one of your reasons given here are reasons this SHOULD be a separate power source with separate classes.

Rock Lee, Sasuke, Naruto, Yaruka, Gara, Kakashi, et al all use Chakra to power their abilities but they do so differently. As you pointed out there are three main categories: Genjutsu (Defender), Taijusu (Striker), and Ninjitsu (Controller). The important factor is that the guy with the bugs (whose name always escapes me) could render any of them powerless with his chakra eating bugs. They are not using different power sources.

Honestly, I would be LESS likely to allow a class that hybridizes not only 3 power sources but three roles than to allow a well though out concept for a new power source with appropriate and balanced classes.

I think that proceeding the way you are is, honestly, folly and will lead to a balance nightmare that few DMs will want to take the time to wade through.

YMMV

DC

Your chakra bug counter is a little flimsier than you think. The reason: Dispel Magic. The 4th edition version quite simply gets rid of a target zone or conjuration as long as it can successfully beat the creators will defense. This means that an Arcane spell can get rid of Arcane, Psionic, Divine, Primal, Shadow, or even Martial zones and conjurations.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
The funny thing is that 4E does TV and comic style games well since those characters tend to do the same 3-5 attack over and over all season. Some of them even have per day/encounter limits. Many characters are mostly known for their at wills and dailies. Just look at Pikachu.

Remove ads