D&D 5E Short Rests: How many does your group get/take between long rests, on average?

How many short rests does your group get/take, on average?

6-8 battles probably only happen inside dungeons rather than while traveling. All the official adventure modules talk about "once per day, once per night" danger roll checks while traveling. So I guess while traveling the encounters can be quite a bit harder.

You will still have the problem that classes who rely more on short rests are not as useful in that case as other classes.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
You will still have the problem that classes who rely more on short rests are not as useful in that case as other classes.
That's not as true as it is often made out to be, since classes that rely more on short rests have a comparable amount of resources with a comparable amount of effect on the game to the amount of resources that a more long rest reliant character can actually find opportunity to use during a single encounter.

For example, a 10th-level Warlock spending 2 5th-level spell slots in one encounter and using a suped-up cantrip or invocation is much more comparable to a 10th-level Wizard spending 2 5th-level spell slots and a 4th-level spell slot, since they each only managed 3 turns in that one encounter - and both regain all the resources spent upon the next rest since there was only 1 encounter that day.

People often slip into impractical scenarios while comparing classes like this, and reach mistaken conclusions about how big of a difference there is on a 1 encounter day vs. how big of a difference there is on a 6-8 encounter and 2 short rests day.

Kryx

Explorer
Injuries mean you dont have to worry so much about meeting any kind of "quota" of encounters per day, which I find inherently unrealistic.
If you don't use the recommended amount of short rests I'd heavily suggest you alter classes based on it. Tripple Warlock spell slots. Change 1/short rest to 3/long rest, etc.

The recent official module Out of the Abyss features "wilderness" where you are instructed to make an encounter check twice a day for days on end.

Explain that.
D&D designers are bad at enforcing their own balance paradigms.

You say this as if something will be explained by just saying it.
Or, rather, don't. And instead reread what I wrote above and truly take in what it says.
Wow, so much aggression. I don't understand why D&D discussions have to be ego contests. I read what you wrote. What you wrote ignored 5e's design principles. If you don't like those design principles then alter them, but then be sure to also alter things that are based on them.

6-8 battles probably only happen inside dungeons rather than while traveling. All the official adventure modules talk about "once per day, once per night" danger roll checks while traveling. So I guess while traveling the encounters can be quite a bit harder.
I think it's intended that you then transition to doing other things. So at night you get this danger roll and then during the day you have more encounters. Though as mentioned above it seems the designers don't maintain their balance paradigms very well. (also see gauntlets of strength)

a 10th-level Warlock spending 2 5th-level spell slots in one encounter and using a suped-up cantrip or invocation is much more comparable to a 10th-level Wizard spending 2 5th-level spell slots and a 4th-level spell slot, since they each only managed 3 turns in that one encounter

A 3 turn day is indeed where the comparison ends. Anything more than 3 rounds and the difference is magnified by each step.
I doubt many people play games that have only 3 turns per day.

I think it's quite a large difference alone because if there are 6-8 battles per day, you won't see the wizard using his spell slots in the first encounters at all. He will save them up for later (or maybe use exactly one he can recover through Arcana Recovery). So the wizard will mostly use cantrips.

Kryx

Explorer
I think it's quite a large difference alone because if there are 6-8 battles per day, you won't see the wizard using his spell slots in the first encounters at all. He will save them up for later (or maybe use exactly one he can recover through Arcana Recovery). So the wizard will mostly use cantrips.
Which is what the caster is balanced against. He has some great spells that can do amazing damage or CC a creature out of a fight for several rounds.

Those are balanced against them being limited resources.

Remove ads