SHOULD a monk be allowed to use shields?

hong

WotC's bitch
dcollins said:
Finally, I'm wondering in the historical example, what did the real-life shield-using monks commonly fight with for a weapon?

At least one Okinawan fighting style taught the use of shields, and they used swords as well. The D&D monk has very little to do with real-life martial artists, whether from the east or west.

Ristamar

Adventurer
Artoomis said:

That's what armor check penalties are for. So that inappropriate shields would penalize him, but appropriate ones (call the buckler the very rough D&D equivalent to monk-type shields) would not.

Within the rules (no new items or proficiencies), you could allow shields and get very nearly what you guys think is appropriate. Not quite, but nearly.

Sorry, when it comes to the buckler, I don't buy it. Just because a buckler is so crappy (er, light and unassuming ;) ) that it doesn't have an armor check penalty, doesn't mean it's not 'armor' in D&D terms.

The only reason I agreed with Arcane is because he mentioned Exotic Weapon/Armor Proficiency feats, or something of similar effect(s). There's a sacrifice (the cost of one or more feat, perhaps qualifying for a certain prestige class, etc.) involved with using these hypothetical shields, and many feats/prestige classes are designed specifically for the purpose of bending or breaking existing rules.

Remove ads