D&D 5E Should All Subclasses Be Gained at 1st Level?

Would you like to see all classes choose their subclass at 1st Level?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
This is something I go back and forth on, like much of 5E. ;)

I can understand having subclasses at 3rd level, or having them at 1st level, or even 2nd... but it seems strange to me this isn't uniform. Now, I've already adapted all classes to gain subclasses at 1st level, but I was wondering how others might feel about it outside our group.

So, would you like to see all classes choose their subclass at 1st Level?

Thanks for your input!

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I think that if you look at the classes, the ones that start at level 1 make a lot of sense. Like if you are sorcerer because of draconic blood... that's build in. Same as being a cleric of a god of thunder. The source of your power is right there from the get go, there is a sort of "logic" there.

Other classes you start as a generalist a bit and you then specialize. What I don't get however is why some are at level 2, and others at level 3? There is NO logic to that one.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I think all classes should gain their subclass at level 1 and also follow the same general structure, gaining their subclass abilities at the same level. Had they done that then those strixhaven cross-classed subclasses would have actually worked.

delericho

Legend
I would prefer them all to be at least level 2 - the fewer choices are locked in at 1st the better, IMO.

However, I don't see any need for them to be uniform. Nor do I think there's any argument for any subclass choices being at 4th level or higher (so only 2nd and 3rd would be options.)

NotAYakk

Legend
Subclasses given at level 1 have different design constraints than those given at level 2/3.

5e failed to obey those design constraints quite often; but we live, we learn.

Classes with delayed subclass choices give lots of benefit; among other things, it is one less choice to make for a new character. And a simplified new character experience has value.

Another issue is the power budget. Subclasses that are picked at 3 gives more room for the baseline class to get character defining features online quicker, like the Paladin.

Remove ads