D&D 5E Should Cure and Inflict Wounds should be touch spells? *Now with a Survey!* REVEALED TO ALL

What is your preferred range for Cure spells

• More than 25 feet

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • 25 is enough

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • between 5 to 25 feet

Votes: 16 14.0%
  • I prefer touch

Votes: 57 50.0%
  • other- see post

Votes: 4 3.5%

Blackwarder

Adventurer
Well, the question is at the title, should Cure Wounds and Inflict Wounds should require touching the recipent?

Currently, both spells got range of 25 feet and when used to attack the recipient can roll a Con save for half damage.
To me it feels wrong, what do you guys think?

Warder

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
m'kay.

So, here's what I said in the other thread...

Should Cure and Inflict Wounds be Touch spells?

Yes. No question.

Casting "Mass/Area of Effect" or individually "Ranged" versions should be special abilities [metamagics?] gained at increasing levels. I'd say "AoE" version at 7th and "Ranged [directed at an individual]" at 10th or vice versa or something like that.

PS: Are you gonna reveal for us poll results as they come in...or at some point? I've never taken a poll on ENworld before where results were hidden...Didn't know you could even do that. Tres mysterious. :p

tuxgeo

Adventurer
I voted 25 feet is fine, and here's why:

If you cut it down to touch range, that's a Feat Tax: the cleric would then have to take either the "Distant Spell" feat or the "Find Familiar" feat in order to regain the "touch-spells-at-range" ability.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I voted 25 feet is fine, and here's why:

If you cut it down to touch range, that's a Feat Tax: the cleric would then have to take either the "Distant Spell" feat or the "Find Familiar" feat in order to regain the "touch-spells-at-range" ability.

My psychic powers astound me.

(so yes, 25', though I'd be happy for +1 hp/die at range touch)

PS: what's up with the hidden poll? no fun, so unvote!

Last edited:

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I concurr witht the idea, voting on a hiden poll isn't any fun, and IMO it takes away all of the sense and purpose of a poll.

Back into the main issue, I really really loathed the turning of healing spells/powers/things into ranged effects in 4e, to me it sucks away all the fun and sense of purpose on playing a healer. While being able to turn a cure light wounds into a ray in 3.5 was fun, that only works as an exception, the moment it turned into the rule it really turned the act of healing into a chore rather than something special when combined with target dependency and the demotion in the action economy.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I would rather them not be combat spells. but if they have to, being touch range maximizes the amount of danger needed to heal someone.

Healing has the most reward, therefore it should have the most risk.

I would rather see Distant Spell changed than give Cure a range. If Distant Spell increased the cost of the spell in some (lowered effect, longer casting, whatever), it would become a tactical decision rather than a feat tax. While I agree that feat taxes are bad, I'm rather fond of tactical decisions in an RPG.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
My bad about the hidden poll, first time using one of this and I made a boo boo, I have no idea how to change it since apparently you can't edit polls once they are posted :(

Current poll results:
25 is enough:7
Between 5 and 25: 4
Touch: 12
Other: 1

Warder

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Range: 25 feet means players on both sides of the coin can play how they want "within the rules". Ranged casters can heal/harm at range within the rules, and Clerics who wish to only deliver the Cures/Inflicts via touch can also do so "within the rules". It's inclusive.

Range: Touch means that players who wish Cures/Inflicts only delivered via touch, can do so "within the rules". Ranged casters however are now excluded from casting from range "within the rules" and the DM either has to houserule it, or you need to put a cost (via feat or some other method) to allow it. It's exclusive.

That being said... I do have absolutely no problem adding a line to the spells that grants a bonus to those players who choose to cast Cures/Inflicts via Touch (even when the spell allows up to 25 feet in range.) Something like "When this spell is cast via Touch rather than at Range, the Cleric gains a +1 bonus to AC until the end of his next turn." Thus, a PC voluntarily choosing to make it harder on himself gains a bonus to do so. But both types of players still can play their style within the rules.

Remove ads