D&D 5E Should D&D 5e have Epic Levels?

Should D&D 5e have Epic Levels?

dave2008

Legend
On principle I dislike level limits. On the other hand, the nature of skill development is that the more advanced one becomes, the more advancement slows. There's also the limiting factor of time and aging. So a "realistic" D&D would actually involve less power increases the higher level one becomes - or at least far slower advancement to new advancements.

That said, D&D is a game and doesn't need to model itself after the real world (ahem). I personally see no reason why a new or alternate epic capstone system wouldn't be a good thing, and I would be very interested in seeing it developed. Furthermore, I think it should include something new, that isn't just "more of the same, but more" -- meaning, make it truly gonzo. Which brings me to the idea of immortal play.

If 17-20th level characters are "Masters of the World" with "superheroic capabilities," then (say) 21-25 would be something beyond that, and 26-30 another tier up. So here's a basic structure:

21-24: Epic hero. A natural extension to 17-20, but moreso - and with epic boons and such. This would fill out the extent of mortal power. It might be similar to the current system, but formed into levels and with increases to proficiency, more spells, etc.

25-29: Quasi-deity. On the path to immortality. Among the most powerful beings in the campaign world, able to go one-on-one vs. the most powerful monsters and fiendish lords. To get to the next tier, some kind of "immortal elixir" is required, and/or granted by the gods.

30-39: Demigod. At level 30, true "ascension" occurs and immortality is attained. The PC enters the pantheons of gods and becomes effectively immortal, although without the power to influence masses (yet).

40-49: Lesser god. Play becomes more meta -- conflicts between gods, cosmic venues, etc. Able to incarnate as an avatar, yet still with a true form beyond the Prime Material Plane.

50 (level-less): Greater god. World-makers. Play is almost akin to world-building, but with the capacity to incarnate in avataric form.

Or something like that. Obviously the higher the tier, the more different and only sketched out the rules would become. Most epic campaigns would like remain below 30th, but elements of higher tier could be employed.
I'm doing something similar, but a quicker break. Lvl 20 / CR 20 is "mortal" limit. After that I have exalted ranks:
  1. Rank 1 - Demigod (essentially mythic CR 21-25)
  2. Rank 2 - Lesser god (essentially mythic CR 26-35)
  3. Rank 3 - Intermediate god (essentially mythic CR 36-50)
  4. Rank 4 - Greater god (essentially mythic CR 51-70)
  5. Rank 5 - Elder god
  6. Rank 6 - Over god
Most games would max out a Tier 4 IMO.

Mercurius

Legend
I'm doing something similar, but a quicker break. Lvl 20 / CR 20 is "mortal" limit. After that I have exalted ranks:
  1. Rank 1 - Demigod (essentially mythic CR 21-25)
  2. Rank 2 - Lesser god (essentially mythic CR 26-35)
  3. Rank 3 - Intermediate god (essentially mythic CR 36-50)
  4. Rank 4 - Greater god (essentially mythic CR 51-70)
  5. Rank 5 - Elder god
  6. Rank 6 - Over god
Most games would max out a Tier 4 IMO.

I like that, and the wider level ranges are probably better for separating the greater gods from mortals.

I like "Elder Gods" in the hierarchy, btw. One way to envision this is via the scope of their power and influence:

Mortal - terrestrial, mortal
Demigod - local
Lesser God - regional/cultural
Intermediate God - national/continental
Greater God - planetary
Elder God - solar system
Overgod - galaxy
Allgod - universe
The One - multiverse

Or something like that. Doesn't quite work, but the basic idea is what I'm trying to get across.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Okay, so this thread is based around one question: Should D&D 5e have Epic Levels?

So, have at it. Answer the poll, and please comment down below with your thoughts on this topic.

If you believe so, should they just be normal class progression, but at higher levels? If yes, too what level? 30? 40? If not, should it be like Prestige Classes, or just multiclassing?

If you answered no, please say why. Is it because of epic spellcasting? Is it because most campaigns don't reach high levels? Or, do you just not care about this enough to want it?

If you're undecided, please say why.

I have been homebrewing a class system up to level 30, and would like to get some information from the community of how you feel on this topic.

I think “Epic” gameplay can and should be an additional optional layer that can be added to the game at any level.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases