D&D 5E Should D&D be easier to learn? If so, how would you do it?

Reynard

Legend
We all know the power of TTRPGs comes not from books or rules but from the skill of the DM.

Therefore, instead of encouraging newbies to buy a starter set or something like that, they should be steered towards a
professional Dungeon Master that is skilled in running games for newbies.
Absolutely not.

Pro DMing is a specific skill (i know, I have done it) and if it isn't oriented directly at new players in an educational manner it can do more harm than good.

There is nothing wrong with hiring a GM but if you are hiring a GM to teach the game that needs to be very clear. Otherwise you might as well save your money and watch actual plays on YT.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
We all know the power of TTRPGs comes not from books or rules but from the skill of the DM.

Therefore, instead of encouraging newbies to buy a starter set or something like that, they should be steered towards a
How does that make money for WotC? Always keep that question in mind. They are going to look for the solution to teaching new players that has the most monetizing potential.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Assuming that good experiences lead to loyal customers, it’s often pretty hard to distinguish caring about the game and the players from base greed.

It is easy, however, to interpret everything as base greed.

Last edited:

Stormonu

Legend

I agree with @Reynard ,reaching out to an experienced DM is a good idea, but not necessarily a porfessional one.

Horwath

Legend
Game needs to be more complicated, not less.

More options for starting class features, skills, armor categories, cantrips, etc...
subclasses at 1st level,
more feat slots, over levels,
combat maneuvers for all characters, class depending on amount and type.

nevin

Hero
we either give them a character with everything laid out. Combat rolls, saves etc. All explained on the sheet,

or have a session 0 where we give the new player all the time they need to generate the character and understand it.

Reynard

Legend
Game needs to be more complicated, not less.

More options for starting class features, skills, armor categories, cantrips, etc...
subclasses at 1st level,
more feat slots, over levels,
combat maneuvers for all characters, class depending on amount and type.
That's just more room for a single poor design to ruin the whole thing. I think character "builds" should be simpler but there should be lots more viable and mechanically distinct actions anyone can take.

Remove ads