• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Should I cancel amazon pre order and order from buy.com?

fba827

Adventurer
Your basic reason is that you want it before you're supposed to have it.
I was going to say something, but JohnRTroy pretty much said exactly what I was going to say. So, I am simply going to quote him...

JohnRTroy said:
I just wish people would learn some patience. Everybody is getting so damn spoiled with Instant Internet Gratification and "gotta have it now" syndrome. Let's just say that by the middle of June we can all play/read D&D 4e and be done with it...

So just wait until you're supposed to have it, which really isn't that far off now as it is.

JVisgaitis

Explorer
fba827 said:
So just wait until you're supposed to have it, which really isn't that far off now as it is.

That isn't a bad idea, but I have a feeling that all of my friends are going to be talking about it. The other thing is considering that we are relaunching Inner Circle in a big way for 4e, I'm sure they'll all be trying to hit me up on my thoughts. I'll try and see if I can hold out, but patience really isn't one of my strong points...

catsclaw227

First Post
Mercule said:
I went out and started putting an order on buy.com. I got to the totals page and found that it isn't the same price as Amazon. It's $10 more after they add shipping and handling. I'm not paying the overnight cost, either, which is much more.

So, assume I'll get the books -- at earliest -- by next Tuesday. Amazon says I'll get mine on the 10th. So, I'm paying $10 for a week? And this is from guys who are known for bungling (maybe intentionally) their agreements and shipping? No thanks. I can wait a week. If it was worth the extra money to me, I'd rather give it to my LGS, friendly or not.
This.

I thought about it, but with my Amazon Prime account, I will get the books 2nd day, sometime next week. I can wait and save the $10 (for me it was almost $15 with shipping).

I wouldn't have time to read them anyway. I am already taking the day after I get the books off as a (long overdue) vacation day so that I can relax and read them.

Aaron L

Hero
Scott_Rouse said:

ka-BANG!

I have mine ordered from Amazon, and my friend (the DM) and I are driving to the nearest gaming store (an hour away... central Pennsylvania is a cultural and intellectual wasteland) on the 6th to pick up a House copy of the PHB; essentially a copy for our friend who can't afford to buy one at the moment, an extra in case of emergency, and so we can have one before our shipment's arrive... because we game that day and plan on making our own characters to continue KotSF.)

What I wouldn't give for a Local Game Store... friendly or not. But book stores of any stripe don't last longer than 2 yeas in this town. I really hate this village of illiterate inbred drunks and junkies. Even the suggestion that you read for pleasure and not because you "have" too is enough to earn one strange looks, and the merest hint of playing D&D is enough to provoke horrified stares and warnings for the safety of ones soul.

Sorry... I'm not very happy with my hometown lately.

Last edited:

JVisgaitis

Explorer
Thinking about it, if there is anything that I would have liked to have seen break street date its the GSL. I'm really curious what we can and can't do to support 4e.

catsclaw227

First Post
JVisgaitis said:
It kinda sucks though, call me an uber geek but I actually took off of work on the 6th just to sit and read them all day. Seems like a lot of that will be ruined tomorrow and with all of these threads, but oh well... At least its generating a lot of enthusiasm! :)

See above. I took the day off too. ;)

catsclaw227

First Post
JVisgaitis said:
The other thing is considering that we are relaunching Inner Circle in a big way for 4e, I'm sure they'll all be trying to hit me up on my thoughts. I'll try and see if I can hold out, but patience really isn't one of my strong points...
For this reason only, I would be true to the publisher date from WOTC. Being a good businessman is 95% taking appropriate and honest actions and 5% luck. If you want to stay in their good graces just try to be what you would want others to be for you.

One week won't kill you, and I'll still buy a 4e Broken Isles or Avadnu product anyway!

JVisgaitis

Explorer
catsclaw227 said:
For this reason only, I would be true to the publisher date from WOTC. Being a good businessman is 95% taking appropriate and honest actions and 5% luck. If you want to stay in their good graces just try to be what you would want others to be for you.

I know you are right. I do feel the same way and my wife told me the same thing. ~sigh~ I guess I'm waiting another week... Thanks for being my conscience. I'll probably just disappear from this site until the 5th to see if they officially launch D&D Insider and the GSL around midnight. See everyone then!

JVisgaitis

Explorer
Aaron L said:
ka-BANG!

I have mine ordered from Amazon, and my friend (the DM) and I are driving to the nearest gaming store (an hour away... central Pennsylvania is a cultural and intellectual wasteland)...

Where do you live? I live in North Eastern PA in Hazleton which is about 2 1/2 hours north of Philadelphia. I'm basically doing the same thing, driving 60 miles south to my "local" gaming store to pick up the PHB while I wait for my Core Rulebook set to come in from Amazon. Isn't PA awesome?

Blastin

First Post
Aaron L said:
ka-BANG!

I have mine ordered from Amazon, and my friend (the DM) and I are driving to the nearest gaming store (an hour away... central Pennsylvania is a cultural and intellectual wasteland) on the 6th to pick up a House copy of the PHB; essentially a copy for our friend who can't afford to buy one at the moment, an extra in case of emergency, and so we can have one before our shipment's arrive... because we game that day and plan on making our own characters to continue KotSF.)

What I wouldn't give for a Local Game Store... friendly or not. But book stores of any stripe don't last longer than 2 yeas in this town. I really hate this village of illiterate inbred drunks and junkies. Even the suggestion that you read for pleasure and not because you "have" too is enough to earn one strange looks, and the merest hint of playing D&D is enough to provoke horrified stares and warnings for the safety of ones soul.

Sorry... I'm not very happy with my hometown lately.

Heh...Altoona here. Our local game store is generally not friendly unless ya play Games Workshop...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads