Should I spend money for 4th edition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
As others have said: there's a lot hysteria on both "sides" of 4E. If I were you I'd stick to the excellent info on this site's 4E Information page (including the fan-sifted PHB).

That said, you asked for advice from veteran D&D players so here goes: in my opinion the pros far outweigh the cons. In fact, I can't think of any cons that bother me, personally, at all. I'm all for speed of play, more inherent character power with less reliance on magic items, movement being simply 1 square = 1 square, powers, healing surges, Points of Light, dragonborn, tieflings, and warlords. These concepts fit what I've been attempting (since 1982!) to do with D&D. From my point of view, this edition is just about nirvana.

If you're posting on this forum you're some sort of hardcore RPG enthusiast. 4E is the new edition of the biggest game in RPGs. The PHB is 22 bucks at Amazon, which is less than half a single day's wages even at minimum wage. Given all of the above, I'd go ahead and plan on picking up the PHB.

Zaruthustran said:
That said, you asked for advice from veteran D&D players so here goes: in my opinion the pros far outweigh the cons. In fact, I can't think of any cons that bother me, personally, at all. I'm all for speed of play, more inherent character power with less reliance on magic items, movement being simply 1 square = 1 square, powers, healing surges, Points of Light, dragonborn, tieflings, and warlords. These concepts fit what I've been attempting (since 1982!) to do with D&D. From my point of view, this edition is just about nirvana.

If you're posting on this forum you're some sort of hardcore RPG enthusiast. 4E is the new edition of the biggest game in RPGs. The PHB is 22 bucks at Amazon, which is less than half a single day's wages even at minimum wage. Given all of the above, I'd go ahead and plan on picking up the PHB.

Thanks for being the only person here who didn't make this a matter of financial choice and actually gave me what I asked for.

Firevalkyrie

First Post
From what I've seen, based on the pre-release games I've played in, if you like blazing action peppered with variety and cleverness, you can do a hell of a lot worse than D&D 4.

I'm buying it at my FLGS, which makes it a little more than a full day's wages for me. Still worth it.

malraux

First Post
Dragon_Man_Of_Lore said:
Thanks for being the only person here who didn't make this a matter of financial choice and actually gave me what I asked for.
In fairness, its hard to know what you personally see as pros and cons. For me, for example, I've bought a few rpg books just to read the rules. Anyway, unless you're able to get a better deal than amazon, I'd go for the Keep on the Shadowfell adventure, which includes enough of the rules to get a sense of how 4e plays, and means that only one book needs to be bought, rather than a phb per person plus the set for the gm.

This thread is either incredibly hilarious or a poorly concealed troll attempt.

Maybe both.

Anyone on this website who can't find COPIOUS information about 4e is just not trying.

(contact)

Explorer
Zaruthustran said:
As others have said: there's a lot hysteria on both "sides" of 4E.

This is completely untrue.

There is no hysteria on the pro-4e side of things. Players and DMs who like the sound of the changes that have been made with 4e (like the inestimable Zarathustran, thus did he speak) are calm, reasonable and light-hearted gamers who enjoy life, are above average in every way and are split 50/50 as regards cats versus dogs.

The other side (who I shall not dignify by naming here) are quite the opposite: contrarian, misleading, spiteful and generally frightened of progress. And well they should be, for 4th Edition is nothing less than the death-knell for that dull, uninspired accounting exercise that they play twice a week in their parents' basements with all the other troglodytes and future food-court spree shooters. They dislike dogs and cats, but will try to convince you that they also like the one that we both prefer.

Here's what you should do: buy only the 4e Player's Handbook at release. Make a couple characters and use the free trial DnDi subscription to play a few online pickup games.

Last edited:

(contact)

Explorer
Joshua Randall said:
This thread is either incredibly hilarious or a poorly concealed troll attempt.

Maybe both.

I seriously doubt you're "Joshua Randall." Nice one, Eric, but you're not fooling anyone here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads