D&D (2024) Should MAD Classes be addressed in OneD&D

Clint_L

Hero
I was thinking that OneD&D's focus on feats is going to kind of suck for classes like Monk that are so Multiple Ability Dependent, because aside from the freebie at Level 1, it is still going to be hard for them to take anything but ASIs (which I guess is technically a feat in OneD&D, but you get my meaning). Dunno, it just seems like missing out on the fun.

I don't like that some classes are significantly more MAD than others, anyway. Seems like bad design. Is this the time to tweak classes like Monk to bring them in line with most other classes, when it comes to abilities? Or is it not an issue, even with feats becoming more prioritized?

Lojaan

Hero
I was thinking that OneD&D's focus on feats is going to kind of suck for classes like Monk that are so Multiple Ability Dependent, because aside from the freebie at Level 1, it is still going to be hard for them to take anything but ASIs (which I guess is technically a feat in OneD&D, but you get my meaning). Dunno, it just seems like missing out on the fun.

I don't like that some classes are significantly more MAD than others, anyway. Seems like bad design. Is this the time to tweak classes like Monk to bring them in line with most other classes, when it comes to abilities? Or is it not an issue, even with feats becoming more prioritized?
It's a valid question, just hard to address until we see the classes.

Horwath

Legend
unarmed defense from monk can remove wisdom and just add prof bonus.

similar to paladins "save aura"

just in that case it should be half prof bonus(round up), increase radius to 60ft to compensate.

The monk is not that MAD as people make him out to be.

He can easily start with 16 AC and now with first level feat (tough or tavern brawler for example) and (assumed) offhand attack without bonus action and the ability to dodge as a bonus action when it matters, the monk is survivable and mobile. AC is not all that matters. If you can reduce the number of attacks directed at you, you can keep up.

20 dex, 16 wis is plenty.

Personally, I think they should make all classes MAD and then take away common and guaranteed (i.e. non-magical) ways to permanently increase ability scores after character creation. But that second part is probably the AD&D player in me talking.
Agreed. More MAD (across all classes) will open up character creation and make it more interesting. Ranged spell attacks should use Dex, fancy battle moves should use Int, etc.

For less MAD I think some more classes should then use other ability scores for AC or attack bonuses, and other ability scores for HP. Maybe being spiritually attuned as a Monk makes one healthier (aka Wis for HP bonuses).

For more MAD across all classes, I think it should be Dex as the attack bonus stat for everything (with heavier weapons needing a minimum Str), Str as the damage bonus stat for almost all melee weapons, Wis as the damage bonus stat for almost all ranged weapons.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Ideally, most characters would start with their primary ability being either max or one point away from max, whether that be through more generous point buy or by lowering the max cap from 20 to 18.

Then choosing to increase your secondary via ASI becomes an option, but is only roughly equivalent in utility to a strong feat choice, not the obvious choice that increasing your primary is.

Remove ads