D&D (2024) Should sorcerers and warlocks get their spell list from their subclass?

So evidently the new class spell lists are being made by a combination of power source and magic school. With bards being arcane spell list, divination, enchantment, illusion, and transmutation schools. While rangers are primal spell list, and all schools apart from evocation.

However sorcerer/warlock subclasses have their own very distinctive themes, and so it makes sense for them to use their own power sources. Why would a divine soul sorcerer and an aberrant mind sorcerer cast the same spells? Each subclass changing the power source and schools of magic available would completely change how each plays.

(Reposted from the subreddit as that place is basically on fire at the moment.)

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
So evidently the new class spell lists are being made by a combination of power source and magic school. With bards being arcane spell list, divination, enchantment, illusion, and transmutation schools. While rangers are primal spell list, and all schools apart from evocation.

However sorcerer/warlock subclasses have their own very distinctive themes, and so it makes sense for them to use their own power sources. Why would a divine soul sorcerer and an aberrant mind sorcerer cast the same spells? Each subclass changing the power source and schools of magic available would completely change how each plays.

The description of the mage class group specifies that they are Arcane casters, so this won’t happen.

Never underestimate the power of nostalgia to doom the sorcerer ("by Lolth, sorcerers were arcane in 3x, and they will be arcane until D&D is no more"). Also, "pick your spell list" is PF2 sorcerer's gig, and I don't know if WotC wants to touch that, no matter how the voting goes.

I suspect the basic spell lists will be arcane, but both sorcerer origins and warlock patrons will likely grant subclass spells (not to mention some warlock invocations) that will come from other lists. It would probably help if the subclass spells went higher than 5th level in 1DnD (since I want fiend and celestial warlocks to get planar ally [a divine spell] and fey warlocks to get conjure fey [a primal spell]), but that might be wishful thinking on my part.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I'm very interested in non-arcane sorcerers. I've played a few of them over the years: sorcerers who chose their spells from the cleric, druid, or warlock spell list instead of the sorcerer spell list. It was super-easy to do, and pairing the sorcerer's metamagic abilities with divine spells was a lot of fun.

Like @Charlaquin said, I doubt this will happen in the rules. But it's really easy to house-rule.

Haplo781

Legend

In all likelihood aberrant mind and divine soul won't be getting updated in PHB.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
The description of the mage class group specifies that they are Arcane casters, so this won’t happen.
It could happen, if the default is arcane then they still fit the mage group, but they could pick up another class of spells if they wanted to switch up the bloodlines

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I’d love to see a combination: pick some, and have some dictated by subclass.

But really I’d love to see Wizards have to specialize and make some trade-offs.

Draconic and Wild Magic Sorcerers do feel like they would both be arcane casters admittedly, and they're the two most probably PHB candidates.

Divine Soul should definitely use the divine spell list though, and I still think there should be an 'occult' or 'mystic' spell list which a future aberrant mind could use.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Draconic and Wild Magic Sorcerers do feel like they would both be arcane casters admittedly, and they're the two most probably PHB candidates.

Divine Soul should definitely use the divine spell list though, and I still think there should be an 'occult' or 'mystic' spell list which a future aberrant mind could use.
45 Subclasses almost certainly means there's a 3rd subclass for any class that only had 2 subclasses in 2014. 40 subclasses were in the 2014 PHB; 5 classes lacked a 3rd subclass. I wouldn't expect Death Domain Cleric or Oathbreaker Paladin in the 2024 PHB, but would expect a 3rd Barbarian, Bard, Druid, Ranger, and Sorcerer subclass, respectively.

Whether that's a port from another 2015-2023 book or whether that's a brand new subclass in 2024, that's hard to say.

Remove ads