D&D (2024) Should There Be a Core Setting?

Should There Be a Core Setting in the 6e DMG, PHB, and MM?

R_J_K75

Legend
While a setting may not be explicitly mentioned, there are always setting implications. For example, the cleric class implies that there is some sort of deity or deities that invest divine power in chosen agents, and these deities oppose undead. Alignment implies that law and chaos and/or good and evil are tangible cosmic forces, and the paladin’s code of conduct implies a great deal about what is good and lawful. The names of different levels of classes carry a lot of setting implications, like the how the druid hierarchy works. The equipment lists imply the setting’s general level of technology. But yeah, no explicit default setting.
I agree, though Im not sure setting though Im not sure "campign" setting should be applied but more of the micro setting when reading the PHB/DMG/MM.

To each their own, which is why I love playing D&D. We all have our own take on it.

R_J_K75

Legend
There were plenty of implied setting elements in the DMG and MM. D&D is not generic fantasy and it never has been.
Sure, the gnome does this, the Fighter does that, and the Cleric worshps Thor. I guess...as Gary put it a milieu. I dont see it as a setting as more of a chasis to bolt your setting to.

Faolyn

(she/her)
In any case, I'd love a return to there being one core rulebook, rules cyclopedia style, with a little setting in the back.
What I'd like to see is something like this, but where the setting isn't just presented but actually built, in the same way that D&D builds a sample character. Maybe include a bunch of tables (random race, monster, climate/terrain, settlement, government style, attitudes toward magic, random gods--stuff like that). Similar to that "This Is Your LIfe" generator from Xannie's. Have the region cover, I dunno, a 7-hex area (one hex and all surrounding hexes).

Give the region a name and then reference it throughout the PH (or PH/DMG combo). Like, include sidebars that says that in Region, elves typically live in the Leafy Forest (in the races section) and the headquarters of the Legion of Paladins is in the Lightning Plains (in the classes section).

What I'd like to see is something like this, but where the setting isn't just presented but actually built, in the same way that D&D builds a sample character. Maybe include a bunch of tables (random race, monster, climate/terrain, settlement, government style, attitudes toward magic, random gods--stuff like that). Similar to that "This Is Your LIfe" generator from Xannie's. Have the region cover, I dunno, a 7-hex area (one hex and all surrounding hexes).

Give the region a name and then reference it throughout the PH (or PH/DMG combo). Like, include sidebars that says that in Region, elves typically live in the Leafy Forest (in the races section) and the headquarters of the Legion of Paladins is in the Lightning Plains (in the classes section).
Exactly: provide tools and instruction for world building, town building, and adventure building, and provide examples along the way. By the end you've taught a new dm how to prepare for the game and provided them with a starting setting and adventure.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
To think that it's possible for any version of 6e to be completely "setting agnostic" just goes to show much D&D's extruded fantasy product has poisoned everyone's brains. Everything, every single thing, about how D&D is designed from its classes to its races to its individual magic systems is a setting-specific design decision that only applies to "generic fantasy settings" that are directly based on D&D's design decisions. The weapons and the armor and the equipment lists are all incredibly setting-specific, given the inclusion of rapiers and articulated plate armor without firearms.

Everything points to a very specific (and consistently inaccurate) picture of a time and place on Earth with the same specific fantasy elements drawn, more or less entirely, from the same small pool of fantasy authors.

Trying to make the next edition of D&D more "setting agnostic" effectively means leaning into those very specific elements and homogenizing whatever "official" settings are supported in 6e towards that very specific setting and away from the very specific settings they already were.

What D&D should do instead is provide more tools for dungeonmasters to reexamine and redesign those decisions for their own game worlds.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
To think that it's possible for any version of 6e to be completely "setting agnostic" just goes to show much D&D's extruded fantasy product has poisoned everyone's brains. Everything, every single thing, about how D&D is designed from its classes to its races to its individual magic systems is a setting-specific design decision that only applies to "generic fantasy settings" that are directly based on D&D's design decisions. The weapons and the armor and the equipment lists are all incredibly setting-specific, given the inclusion of rapiers and articulated plate armor without firearms.

Everything points to a very specific (and consistently inaccurate) picture of a time and place on Earth with the same specific fantasy elements drawn, more or less entirely, from the same small pool of fantasy authors.

Trying to make the next edition of D&D more "setting agnostic" effectively means leaning into those very specific elements and homogenizing whatever "official" settings are supported in 6e towards that very specific setting and away from the very specific settings they already were.

What D&D should do instead is provide more tools for dungeonmasters to reexamine and redesign those decisions for their own game worlds.
While true that d&d is d&d rather than any flavor of generic fantasy, there are a few d&d settings that exist. As d&d settings they should have their needs in mechanics & themes supported by the core ruleset and/or it's optional components . 5e just was written exclusively for the needs of FR & FR's themes. With FR eing basically greyhawk with the serial numbers filed off it mostly fits that too. With eberron Darksun & ravenloft playing up/down various elements that were stripped & made difficult to reinsert those of course are more difficult than simply replacing some of the FR themes with themes of those settings. It is very possible to be agnostic among d&d settings to some degree but FR is very much not that.

TheSword

Legend
I find it hard to take 6e seriously when 5e is so absolutely, clearly on the ascension. The profit growth of another year shows almost doubling profits. for what it’s worth though I think Forgotten Realms works as the default setting that keeps on giving. Though I don’t think it really matters where an adventure is set as long as it is set somewhere. I can file the numbers or Greyhawk as easily as I can file them off Forgotten Realms or Golarion.

D4E16902-57C4-4669-8E32-FED8E4523A50.jpeg

*My first ever meme by the way. Inspired by P Anckorn

Last edited:

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I find it hard to take 6e seriously when 5e is so absolutely, clearly on the ascension. The profit growth of another year shows almost doubling profits. for what it’s worth though I think Forgotten Realms works as the default setting that keeps on giving. Though I don’t think it really matter where an adventure is set as long as it is set somewhere. I can file the numbers or Greyhawk as easily as I can file them off Forgotten Realms or Golarion.

View attachment 141571
*My first ever meme by the way. Inspired by P Anckorn
I don't relies think this is a discussion about the nonexistent descent of 5e but the acknowledgements that 5e has. The one in this thread is about default setting.

FR works as a setting designed to work with almost every new rulebook. This has advantages and disadvantage. Especially since FR has a history. So it comes of a cramped and complex as it attempts to contain most of the past, present, in it simultaneously.

That's why I think a new setting that only worries about the current and future fluff and crunch of its choice is best for 6e.

R_J_K75

Legend
While true that d&d is d&d rather than any flavor of generic fantasy, there are a few d&d settings that exist. As d&d settings they should have their needs in mechanics & themes supported by the core ruleset and/or it's optional components . 5e just was written exclusively for the needs of FR & FR's themes. With FR eing basically greyhawk with the serial numbers filed off it mostly fits that too. With eberron Darksun & ravenloft playing up/down various elements that were stripped & made difficult to reinsert those of course are more difficult than simply replacing some of the FR themes with themes of those settings. It is very possible to be agnostic among d&d settings to some degree but FR is very much not that.
WTF is that? Im too drunk to =ead, just saw the pictu=e.

Remove ads