D&D 5E Sigil and the Outlands has Planar Rules

So you do Planescape setting right you need to buy MotM for many of the core races, yeah that makes no sense.

I'll point out many races got reprints in multiple books, Goblins alone got printed in VGtM, E: RftLW, EGtW, GMGtR, and MotM. Aasimar were in the DMG, VGtM, EGtW, and MotM. Genasi were in EEPG, EGtW, and MotM. Gith were in MToF and MotM. Centuars and Minotaurs got printed in GMGtR, MOoT, and MotM.
The entire point of Monsters of the Multiverse was to collect and update races from previous books into a single, setting neutral resource that they could just reference instead of reprinting those options over and over again.

Unless and until a racial option in MotM is receiving heavy enough revisions that an errata pass alone isn't sufficient (a la the '24 version of goliaths), I don't expect them to reprint it anytime soon.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The entire point of Monsters of the Multiverse was to collect and update races from previous books into a single, setting neutral resource that they could just reference instead of reprinting those options over and over again.

Unless and until a racial option in MotM is receiving heavy enough revisions that an errata pass isn't enough (a la the '24 version of goliaths), I don't expect them to reprint it anytime soon.
Yeah, that's why the only thing I would even suspect would be the Reborn (not in MotM, thematic) or Ardlings.

Yeah, that's why the only thing I would even suspect would be the Reborn (not in MotM, thematic) or Ardlings.
Give the size of the book, I would be annoyed if the amount of reprinted material is greater than zero. And the reborn are boring as hell and have no historical connection to the setting.

It will have glitchlings, it may have aardlings, and there is a good chance it will fix tieflings, since Planescape is where they originated before 4e broke them. That's plenty, when the factions are the thing that matters for the setting.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Give the size of the book, I would be annoyed if the amount of reprinted material is greater than zero. And the reborn are boring as hell and have no historical connection to the setting.

It will have glitchlings, it may have aardlings, and there is a good chance it will fix tieflings, since Planescape is where they originated before 4e broke them. That's plenty, when the factions are the thing that matters for the setting.
I don't think we'll see Tieflings, because they'll be in the PHB again. We aren't getting the new Goliaths in Bigby's. But I don't really expect any reprints.

The original boxset of planescape? That added 3 playable races: bariaur, tiefling, and githzerai.
I think bariaur would have been tested if they where likely. Aardlings kind of sub for them in the same way glitchlings sub for modrons. I would rather not see gith reprinted from MoM for matters of space, but I think the inclusion of githyanki as a playable race in BG3 pushes them up the probability scale.

But I expect this to call back strongly to the original boxed set, and largely steer clear of stuff that was not in that (I.e. Manual of the Planes stuff).

Because a random appearance from nowhere would be very much on-brand: Slaadborn.

Last edited:

I think bariaur would have been tested if they where likely. Aardlings kind of sub for them in the same way glitchlings sub for modrons. I would rather not see gith reprinted from MoM for matters of space, but I think the inclusion of githyanki as a playable race in BG3 pushes them up the probability scale.

But I expect this to call back strongly to the original boxed set, and largely steer clear of stuff that was not in that (I.e. Manual of the Planes stuff).

Because a random appearance from nowhere would be very much on-brand: Slaadborn.

What space? current race mechanics for Aasimar, Gith, SCAG Tieflings, and Genasi would fit on 1 page, maybe half a page without art.

And Gith maybe predate Planescape and Aasimar came abit later on in Planescape, but they are iconic for Planescape now, and you should have to own seperate books to enjoy them given the tiny space they require.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
What space? current race mechanics for Aasimar, Gith, SCAG Tieflings, and Genasi would fit on 1 page, maybe half a page without art.

And Gith maybe predate Planescape and Aasimar came abit later on in Planescape, but they are iconic for Planescape now, and you should have to own seperate books to enjoy them given the tiny space they require.
If they didn't reprint Gith for Spelljammer, I doubt they will reprint any of those.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Books about sailing ships tell you about how to travel, they don't describe all the possible destinations.
Not would a planar book. It would only describe a few major ones. And I think portals to dangerous and exotic planes is a mite bit different than a real world sailing and might require some information on destinations. The DMG is pretty poor on that front.

Remove ads