D&D 5E Sigil and the Outlands has Planar Rules

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Out of left field thought: they could reprint the Returned from Ravenlodt, but puvot the flavor from Gothic Horror tropes to more Multiversal stuff, like the Nameless or the Einhajer.

Out of left field thought: they could reprint the Returned from Ravenlodt, but puvot the flavor from Gothic Horror tropes to more Multiversal stuff, like the Nameless or the Einhajer.
Again, I'm not sure where you think all this stuff is going to be squeezed into a very short book. 8 point font?

Last edited:

Glitchlings are either just a stealth test for rogue modrons or are effectively replacing them as a PC option - same general idea, but with a more free-form body type and potentially not locked in as kill-on-sight for all non-rogue modrons encountered.

Doubt we'll get any updates to tiefling since they are getting an update in the core rules revision next year. Similarly, I doubt ardlings will make it in - if anything they seem to need more work pinning down their central conceit, and I don't know if they had the time necessary to hash that out between deciding to drop them from the '24 PHB and Planescape needing to be finalized for print.

Also don't see much chance for an update to aasimar, since they were recently updated back in Monsters of the Multiverse. Likewise with the genasi, githyanki, githzerai, shadar-kai, and all the existing Feywild-centric races (changeling, eladrin, fairy, etc.).

That basically leaves the bariaur - which could be pretty easily derived from the centaur and satyr stats and thus may not need a playtest - and some of the more obscure/less popular planar races like chaonds, zenythri, paragenasi, etc.

So, most likely just glitchling and maybe an off chance of bariaur.

Aasimar could get a reprint, same with Genasi, and the 9 hells Tiefling variant or the SCAG Tiefling. Maybe some surprises like a playable Dabu.

Could create a completely new race completely whole cloth.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Again, I'm not sure where you think all this stuff is going to be squeezed into a very short book. 8 point font?
One Spwcies seems awfully thin for Planescape, of all places. I expect ~10 pages for character options, we know we are getting a parcel of Feats and Modrons, but there is room for a bit of a surprise.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The book is awfully thin.
I mean in direct comparison to Spelljammer, which is a much thinner book.

Just speculating, but based on similar models in smaller books, there is room for more than one Species, and given the wacky nature of Planescpae denizens, at least some sort of guidance on weird characters would seem appropriate. I donexpect any reprints from MotM (probably a reference to that book to check for options), but one or two surprise options (like the Returned or Ardlings) wouldn't surprise me, and would fit the book size.

Aasimar could get a reprint, same with Genasi, and the 9 hells Tiefling variant or the SCAG Tiefling. Maybe some surprises like a playable Dabu.

Could create a completely new race completely whole cloth.
One Spwcies seems awfully thin for Planescape, of all places. I expect ~10 pages for character options, we know we are getting a parcel of Feats and Modrons, but there is room for a bit of a surprise.
If they don't have something new to add to existing races/species, I don't see much point in a reprint, and anything wholly new would presumably have been seen in a playtest.

The Feral Tiefling and other variant options from SCAG are still in print, and while the archdevil-specific tieflings from MToF are interesting, the version they are playtesting for the '24 PHB seems to be moving away from the "infernal/diabolic-only" tieflings we've had since 4e and back toward a broader "pick your heritage" style. If any kind of tiefling gets an update in Planescape, it will be an early version of the '24 tiefling.

Similarly with aasimar - the only reason to give them a reprint is if they were to repurpose the Upper Planar "pick your heritage" options from the initial pass of the '24 ardling. Likewise with genasi, save that there really isn't anything they could add - unless they want to bring back paragenasi...

Again, I could see bariaur sneaking in as a relatively minor variation of centaur, and while I'm not expecting it, you could be right about a version of the second pass ardling making it in, but beyond that, I'm not expecting much, particularly since, on some level, Planescape is the kind of setting where options from basically every existing sourcebook could conceivably be show up - everything they've put out in 5e is a viable Planescape racial option, unless your DM wants to keep options from certain settings (Eberron, for example) locked away from the Great Wheel.

More to the point, though, I think the PC options portion of the book will also be the area where they cover the Factions, and if anything, that is probably MORE vital to Planescape than additional racial options.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If they don't have something new to add to existing races/species, I don't see much point in a reprint, and anything wholly new would presumably have been seen in a playtest.

The Feral Tiefling and other variant options from SCAG are still in print, and while the archdevil-specific tieflings from MToF are interesting, the version they are playtesting for the '24 PHB seems to be moving away from the "infernal/diabolic-only" tieflings we've had since 4e and back toward a broader "pick your heritage" style. If any kind of tiefling gets an update in Planescape, it will be an early version of the '24 tiefling.

Similarly with aasimar - the only reason to give them a reprint is if they were to repurpose the Upper Planar "pick your heritage" options from the initial pass of the '24 ardling. Likewise with genasi, save that there really isn't anything they could add - unless they want to bring back paragenasi...

Again, I could see bariaur sneaking in as a relatively minor variation of centaur, and while I'm not expecting it, you could be right about a version of the second pass ardling making it in, but beyond that, I'm not expecting much, particularly since, on some level, Planescape is the kind of setting where options from basically every existing sourcebook could conceivably be show up - everything they've put out in 5e is a viable Planescape racial option, unless your DM wants to keep options from certain settings (Eberron, for example) locked away from the Great Wheel.

More to the point, though, I think the PC options portion of the book will also be the area where they cover the Factions, and if anything, that is probably MORE vital to Planescape than additional racial options.
I agree that there won't likely be many reprints. We have 5 starter Feats, and 6 Level 4 Feats, in the relevant UA that were tested. That and the Modrons are what will be in the player option section. The Favtions are Settong detail, so that is likely elsewhere in the Gazateer material.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Just double-checked, out of curiosity, and in the 96 page 2E box set "Sigil & Beyond," the Factions take up...6 pages. In the Sigil Gazateer section. I expect that's roughly what we will get here, in coverage of organizations in the Gazateer, not in the player section.

Quickleaf

Legend

Which factions do you think we'll see?

I heard that Keys from the Golden Vault features the Fated & the Fixers (who try to keep Blood War at a stalemate) in Affair on the Concordant Express.

Remove ads