D&D 5E silver standard

mlund

First Post
Let's face it, the "Dragon Horde" motif of giant shiny coins is artistic license that's been taken to an extreme that's become a trope cliche unto itself - like pirate chests the size of footlockers filled with gold coins the size of which would have to weight 1-2 pounds each, long swords disembowel a man through a chain mail hauberk, and torches that somehow allow you to see when you hold them in front of your face and don't choke and suffocate you to death if you take them into a dungeon - these things look good for a camera but in no way resemble reality - even a romanticized magical reality like D&D.

Gold is heavy. Gold coins that weight 50 to the pound are not the size of Hollywood prop pieces unless you live in a dimension where gold has approximately the same mass as tin or plastic. It's pure camp. It's 14.5 Kruegerrands to the Imperial Pound, they are about 25% bigger than a US quarter, and that's around $18,000 on the current market. 50 coins to the pound could be, maybe, the size of a nickel.

Marty Lund

Last edited:

Dkase

First Post
I was always under the impression that D&D coins were more like modern coins, and are comprised of more than just the metal associated with them. I.E, a gold coin is not pure gold, but a mixture of metals and their value is set at what ever the governing body responsible for the minting says they are worth (if it was pure gold, everyone would just melt it down and sell the gold at it's weight!). For simplicity sake, everyone just assumes a coin in one kingdom is the roughly the same value as the coin from another, regardless of the time they were minted in, so even gold coins found on the floor of a 1000 year old dungeon can be used to by a stay at the local inn.

mlund

First Post
I was always under the impression that D&D coins were more like modern coins, and are comprised of more than just the metal associated with them. I.E, a gold coin is not pure gold, but a mixture of metals and their value is set at what ever the governing body responsible for the minting says they are worth

Oh, goodness no! Modern governments were cutting down / getting rid of the precious metals in coins even before they started eliminating the Precious Metal Standards for backing said currency. What you're talking about with coins made of mundane metals with worth set by the government is Fiat Currency. With the exception of a few very long-lived empires, nobody could support Fiat Currency. Even then, it served the same purpose as it does now - to defraud poor people through currency devaluation. (Read the fight Americans got into over just adding Silver to the Gold Standard that helped inspire "The Wizard of Oz" sometime, it's crazy!) Rome could get away with it for a while during the high imperial period, but persons of substance just dealt in real gold, not nonsense like the Denarius, which went from 100% silver to 0% silver in the span of 200 years through debasement. As a result a 3rd century Roman Denarius was worth literally nothing in Western Europe in the 7th Century when the Western Roman Empire had expired. Heck, it was probably worthless sooner than that just because Emperors decided to stop honoring the value of older issued currency in certain periods.

But the Solidus would remain the literal gold standard of all of Europe for 1,000 years because its purity was maintained.

(if it was pure gold, everyone would just melt it down and sell the gold at it's weight!).

Yes. That the whole point of precious metal currency. It's as pure as you can make it - hence bullion rather than fiat money. That why merchants and money-changers have scales and why tampering with scales would cost you your hand or your head. Gold coins of a certain size weigh a certain amount and you can't fake it unless you gild lead. Mixing in other metals changes the density and any professional can easily identify the fraud. Trying to mix silver with other metals of similar weight noticeably discolors it too. If one kingdom tries to mint a diluted or shaved "Gold Piece" or some random bronze coin that says, "Good for 1/50 a lb of gold, trust me," it simply doesn't work. Everyone knows to treat them as lesser value than "real" gold pieces (or to refuse to accept them at all if it's fiat coin). Also, diluting Gold with Silver is how you get Electrum Pieces in the first place.

For simplicity sake, everyone just assumes a coin in one kingdom is the roughly the same value as the coin from another, regardless of the time they were minted in, so even gold coins found on the floor of a 1000 year old dungeon can be used to by a stay at the local inn.

The reality is exactly the opposite - the they have the same rough value because they have the same weight and the same substance, because it's really weird to see people in a medieval setting dealing in fiat currency when it comes to portable treasure like Adventurers and merchants deal in. (Peasants can trade in beads or sea-shells locally for all the wider world cares - they weren't allowed to hold real money or leave the manor anyway.)

Marty Lund

Last edited:

pukunui

Legend
[MENTION=50304]mlund[/MENTION]: I think you're overthinking things. This is a *fantasy* game, not a real history simulator.

Zardnaar

Legend
Makes me kind of laugh at ome of the assumptions people make. Gold was not as rare as what a lot of people assumed. The used to use talents and a roman talent was 57 pounds of gold, The Spanish had massive inflation and Mansa Muta of Mali was probably one of the richest men to ever have lived.

Gold in D&DD&D/silver standard
is a bit to common though. A talent of gold is something like 2850gp in D&D. YOu could go with a silver standards.

1cp=1cp
1 silver piece- 1 bronze
1 Gold= 1 silver
1 Platinum= 1gp
10 platinum= 10gp

delericho

Legend
Every so often I come across someone who says they've switched to a silver standard for their D&D economy instead of the default gold standard. For some reason, the idea appeals to me, although I'm not entirely sure why

Possibly because it's one of those "nods to realism" that help to ground the game.

because I don't know what all it entails. Would someone please be so kind as to enlighten me?

Broadly, there are two ways to do it.

The easy way is simply to read SP when the game says GP (and read GP for PP).

The harder way is to develop a new, more realistic, price list, switch the game to a different (probably non-decimal) currency, and work from there.

To be honest, I wouldn't recommend doing either: D&D PCs get so much money so quickly that they can afford any mundane equipment easily, whether it's priced in GP, SP or whatever.

pukunui

Legend
To be honest, I wouldn't recommend doing either: D&D PCs get so much money so quickly that they can afford any mundane equipment easily, whether it's priced in GP, SP or whatever.
Yeah, I'm thinking that it's not really worth the trouble. I'll just stick with the default method.

Pickles III

First Post
Talents were a unit of weight measurement not of currency.

There is hardly any gold - per google it would all fit into a 20m cube (or maybe a 50m cube)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21969100

It's only valuable because it is rare - there is not much difference between a precious metal standard & a c20 promissory note one or a c21 virtual one as the metal is not inherently very useful.

The used to use talents and a roman talent was 57 pounds of gold...
Gold is dense. That's about an 11-cm cube -- not very much. And it's a lot of money. Wikipedia cites a talent of silver as nine man-years of skilled labor. No word on the conversion to a talent of gold, but obviously it's gonna be even more than that.

[MENTION=50304]mlund[/MENTION]: I think you're overthinking things. This is a *fantasy* game, not a real history simulator.

I've generally just taken MST3K's advice on the matter

If you're wondering how he eats and breathes
And other science facts,
Then repeat to yourself, "It's just a show
I should really just relax"

Remove ads