Sing to me, O Muse, of BECMI!

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
The big one I believe is that RC is essentially BECM and skips the I of Immortals entirely as a PC thing. BECMI has immortals as a boxed set stage of the game with a series of modules for immortal PCs. RC has a couple pages on immortals and how PCs can become one, but then says once they achieve it they should be retired from play to be NPCs.
"...unless the campaign focus changes to follow the Immortals and their activities." -page 223.

Given that the Rules Cyclopedia came out in November of 1991, and Wrath of the Immortals (affiliate link), which had revised rules for PC Immortals, came out in July of 1992, I suspect that TSR knew what they were doing with that aforementioned clause.

Weiley31

Legend
Well, I don't have any unsung songs to tell sing of in regard to B/X. With that being said, however, I have recently purchased the Old School Essentials boxed sets. The goal from there is to "experience" B/X via that.

Of course, I also plan on purchasing the Creature Crucible series of supplemental material with the goal of trying to reverse engineer the classes from those and having them as options in said OSE games. Then grab some Lamentations of the Flame Princess and sprinkle some stuff here and there along with some other B/X stuff and Dolmenwood once that comes out.

6/19/23 session 0

Good grief, am I glad I went with BECMI, because this is even more freeform than I was expecting of them. It would absolutely NOT work in a more detailed system because they were bouncing off of race and class rules and expectations like crazy.

We rolled up the characters last night and allowed The Mrs. and The Eldest to get to know each other.

The Mrs: BECMI Halfling class, roleplayed as a kender who is like a tinker gnome as far as building stuff goes, and who is a seamstress. She's roleplaying the latter, saying she can build anything, but can't promise that it will work. She's also in search of "bougie butterfly silk" in order to make the perfect gown. Character name: Coco Van Straw.

The Eldest: OSE Gnome class, roleplayed as a 2" tall gnome who is delivering mail and thinks every recipient is named, "Greg." Apparently, this inspired by some game she's playing on Steam. Character name: Lemon.

The Youngest: A..."swamp goblin"...thing. I built it like a modified Halfling class as a Goblin, but darned if this isn't something weird. She drew it on her iPhone, and it looks like an albino Gollum with a rat tail that has a glowing tip. Character name: Moss Eater.

Starting village: Threshold

Lemon has wandered into town to deliver a package to "Greg", and when asking townspeople for "Greg", one of them thought she said, "Bargle,", and cautioned her about Bargle, the outlaw supposedly in the area.

Coco Van Straw was performing a fitting when the village lady for whom she was doing the fitting started gossiping about rumors that Bargle had fled Specularum and was seen in the area.

Given the first encounter in the solo adventure, which I'm adapting, is with a goblin, I spoke to the Youngest about using that to introduce her to the group.

Moss Eater the...swamp goblin...thing is sent by her tribe to go, "take a short walk off the creek and get a fish,", which led to her being lost (this is what The Youngest came up with). She ends up in caves outside of Threshold, where she encounters a mysterious, cloaked man who offers her shelter.

And after this setup, they wanted to end. Everything is set up for them to have this first adventure, then see where things go.

Cruentus

Adventurer
Sounds great! I don’t recall if it was mentioned, but I would suggest you take a look at Beyond the Wall and other Adventures, it sounds like some of the concepts and gameplay might fit with your group.

The way character creation is done via playbooks automatically generates links between characters, and there are a lot of archetypes - free samples on their website
As characters are generated, the players help to populate the village they start in, and the playbooks identify further people from the village they know or have helped.
Gameplay is along the B/X line, so nothing really new there, and can be as flexible as BECMI/B/X
It’s built around Young Adult literature as inspiration
The “threat packs” offer simple adventures that more than not threaten the village (goblins, skeletons, etc.) and they offer rules for how to develop and build those adventures.

I freely mix in the character generation, starting village, and I’ve stolen the magic system wholesale to add into my OSE Advanced game. It’s all been a lot of fun so far.

So, if you want some more inspiration that might be a little more Dolmenwood thematic rather than Lamentations, check out Beyond the Wall and Other Adventures.

nevin

Hero
In my experience, role-playing started right in the intro adventure in the Red Box, the moment I started trying to find a path that would save Aleena. The moment I started imagining myself as that plain old Fighter.

Dragonlance the setting, I love. Dragonlance the modules, not so much. I've been idly re-reading them and the first one is actually pretty good and has more sandbox to it than I remembered, but as the series continues, where they run into trouble is when they tries to precisely curate the player experience and story. It grips onto the plot so tightly that it prevents the adventure from unfolding naturally, from generating those spontaneous moments of genius.
when i came out I loved the dragonlance setting. IT was however almost unplayable because of all the players that expected everything to be as they expected. So we moved to the other side of Dragonlance Taladas and had so much more fun. No expectations just fun games.

when i came out I loved the dragonlance setting. IT was however almost unplayable because of all the players that expected everything to be as they expected. So we moved to the other side of Dragonlance Taladas and had so much more fun. No expectations just fun games.

We had fun playing in our own Dragonlance adventures, once we stopped trying to run the official modules. I don't think we had to deal with too much player rigidity, but we were also pretty young and happy just to be exploring the world of the books we loved.

By the time Taladas came out, we were pretty well situated in the Forgotten Realms for our campaigns.

bulletmeat

Adventurer
My first campaign was a different continent on Krynn.
But the forces of evil won and the characters had to fight through a Dark Dark Age of Krynn.

Remove ads