D&D 5E Single class Hexblade - missing something?

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
The specter is what you are forgetting (that and the significantly increased critical hits) - it's about the best combat pet available to any class. It's resistant to most damage, giving it respectable survivability, it's attacks do good damage (3d6) and reduce maximum hp. And it can walk through walls. And it doesn't use the warlock's action economy to attack. Give your single class hexblade a flat +10 DPR when trying to whiteroom it.

Good to know.

Multiclassing does delay the acquisition of higher level features (a mutliclass hexblade definitely takes longer to "come online" than single class). Is the wait for the specter enough to fully make up for the benefit of multi-classing?

As far as the critical hits, that is available very quickly to the multi-class character, so I am not sure it "counts".

Good to know.

Multiclassing does delay the acquisition of higher level features (a mutliclass hexblade definitely takes longer to "come online" than single class). Is the wait for the specter enough to fully make up for the benefit of multi-classing?

As far as the critical hits, that is available very quickly to the multi-class character, so I am not sure it "counts".
The specter's* hp increase with hexblade level, so any multiclassing at all weakens the specter.

*I hate that spelling.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
hmmmmm....

First you didn't consider the fighting style, which will boos the fighter's damage (or AC).

Second there is no way hex will last the whole day. The hexblade will get hit and fail a concentration check sooner or later. Others has stated that it is not the best spell for a hexblade and I tend to agree.

the battlemaster maneuvers have utility on top of the damage. So does smite, but you get this advantage 12 times over 5.
Honestly, to me this is what balance looks like. When they spend their resources, their offenses are roughly equivalent. (We can quibble about how exactly those resources are spent, but we're talking about a delta of at worst 10% or so in either direction.) The fighter is tougher, but the hexblade can exchange offense for greater defense or utility as needed.

That's balanced enough for me.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Got it here:

"When the specter appears it gains temporary hp equal to half your warlock level."

"It gains a special attack bonus equal to your charisma modifier"

aaah - I see how I got my wires crossed.

You'll note that this will result in your spectre (if you take say, a few fighter levels) only having 1-2 hp less. I think having it at level 8-9 instead of 6 (ie 2-3 levels without it) is a bigger factor.

I agree with you that it's a good pet incidentally. However, it's not a given that you have it - you have to land the killing blow, the foe has to be a humanoid... Also, there can be some serious RP consequences for doing it...

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
For my 2 cents. I've used a Hexblade Human from 1st to 13th so far. My observations. I agree about Hex. It can be good but Hexblade's curse is often better. No concentration and regain hit points. Later maybe get a specter when you kill the foe. The specter you can get is weak but can be useful to get advantage, be a ghostly meat shield or to set up OAs. I took the Mage Armor invocation early on and Shield and don't wory too much about AC. Between Shield and Hellish Rebuke you have a couple of options if someone hits you. Don't get hung up on wading into melee. You aren't the barbarian. I took Greenflame Blade and hardly use Thirsting blade, I'll probably replace it. A second attack is great in principal but in practice not that important. It's great to have the option but usually, if I go melee, I look for advantage and use Eldritch Smite with GFB. With GFB and knocking the enemy prone, it's often worth a slot. Early on when you only have 2, get your mileage out of Invisibility. It isn't long before you can make yourself and several others invisible. Agonizing Blast is legit gold. At higher levels, I found Conjure Fey useful too. I often do a giant crocodile. Much more so than the demon or devil summons. Takes concentration but it's big hits hard and has enough HP to help against many foes. I know some of these tactics are not recommended in the guides but in my experience they work. Also, especially if you like to make stuff, don't discount the ability to make your Hexblade any weapon with an invocation.

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
aaah - I see how I got my wires crossed.

You'll note that this will result in your spectre (if you take say, a few fighter levels) only having 1-2 hp less. I think having it at level 8-9 instead of 6 (ie 2-3 levels without it) is a bigger factor.

I agree with you that it's a good pet incidentally. However, it's not a given that you have it - you have to land the killing blow, the foe has to be a humanoid... Also, there can be some serious RP consequences for doing it...
Agree that with the bonuses, the spectre is still weak. I've used it a couple of times. Consider the poltergeist if your DM allows. I pushed a foe with it into the druid's Wall of Thorns. The specter actually got a kill. Usually though it's fodder. It takes a hit, gives advantage or scouts.

after reading the multiclass rules this is a legit reading.
I agree that reading is sound, but it is not the only interpretation a DM is going to make.

Some DMs are going to be perfectly fine allowing Warlock Pact Magic slots to be used to fuel class abilities powered by spell slots, to eliminate bookkeeping hassles.
Especially, if the player in question is not prone to abuse rulings.

Allowing Eldritch Smite and Divine Smite stacking might also be thematically appropriate. A Paladin / Celestial Warlock with say Heracles as his warlock patron...is playing to character by inquiring about combining the two.

In a High Powered game, having the burst damage Pally/Lock combo do more burst damage, isn't going to break the game, especially if the DM is using Max HP on monsters, and/or the PCs routinely have to contend with creatures much more powerful then they are.

Second there is no way hex will last the whole day
While there is no guarantee that a single casting of Hex will suffice, given Dispel Magic like effects, a Hexblade can easily mix up their tactics to prioritize damage avoidance.

I've had Adventuring Days where I have not taken any damage, through a combination of luck, tactics, and not to be repetitive, luck again.

I've also had Adventuring Days where a poor roll has resulted in a single point of damage from a half buried caltrop, takes down a Pass w/o Trace spell.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases