• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sky Captain -- anyone heard of this?

Chain Lightning

First Post
Ever be aware of the audience's reactions to trailers? Like a few "aw yeah" or a few "eww" responses? Well, is it me or do the public at large not "get" cheezy movies that are done cheezy on purpose?

I saw the trailer for "Sky Captain" and was ready to do the "Yeah!" after it was over. Except. I heard a few "boo" s from the audience. It was the same for "Thunderbirds". I think the average Joe thinks these movies look stupid.

"Thunderbird ships look like kid's toys" or "Sky Captain looks fake and cartoon like".

I think they don't understand that they are suppose to look the way they look. Which is a shame. Because if they aren't well recieved in the box office, Hollywood will take less chances with such cool and fun material. Well, I for one am glad something like "Thunderbirds" and "Sky Captian" are heading to the big screen. I just hope that when they do arrive that they are indeed entertaining.

Until then, it still frustrates me that a lot of people just don't 'get' it.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Chain Lightning said:
Well, is it me or do the public at large not "get" cheezy movies that are done cheezy on purpose?

Is it me, or does the public at large not get the difference between "cheezy" and "stylized"?

Sky Captain looks stylized, to match the imagry of a bygone era. That does not mean that the movie actually has cheeze content. At least no more cheezy than any o0ther action or adventure movie ever made.

Meanwhile, Bubba Ho-Tep and The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra are movies purposely made somewhat cheezy.

Jamdin

Explorer
WOW! Sky Captain trailor looks cool and wants me to yell Captain Midnight meets Metropolis. We need more pulp-like movies. Maybe if this is a hit, Doc Savage will finally get made.

Last edited:

KenM

Banned
Banned
Jamdin said:
WOW! Sky Captain trailor looks cool and wants me to yell Captain Midnight meets Metropolis. We need more pulp-like movies. Maybe if this is a hit, Doc Savage will finally get made.

Sorry to get off topic, but back in the 1970's there was a Doc Savage movie, stared Ron Elay(SP?) it was done in a campy, tounge and cheek way thouugh. It was based on the first Doc Savage story. I know it was put out on VHS awhile ago, not sure if it came out on DVD. Might be a little hard to find now.
But a Doc Savage movie, done right, would rock.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
WOW! I heard about this film probably more than a year ago on Ain't It Cool News, except then it was simply called 'World of Tomorrow'. Man, I can't wait for it. Pure serial movie gold. I wish we'd had a preview of this on our RoTK print.

Jamdin

Explorer
Ron Ely played Doc Savage in the 1975's "Doc Savage: The Man Of Bronze" which was produced by George Pal (his last film). Ely is best known for his role as Tarzan on TV. Unfortunately, the movie was campy but it is still fun to watch from time to time. I do agree that a serious version of the Man of Bronze would be nice to see.

Last edited:

Chain Lightning

First Post
Umbran said:
Is it me, or does the public at large not get the difference between "cheezy" and "stylized"?

Sky Captain looks stylized, to match the imagry of a bygone era. That does not mean that the movie actually has cheeze content.

Contents look cheezy to me.

And yes, I like to think I know the difference between cheezy and stylized. "Sky Captain" looks like both actually. I just said "cheezy" for simplicity sake. Plus, if we want to get detailed....we can even start to talk about the different types of cheeze.

Last edited:

Remove ads