[Skywalker discussion] What would "break" Star Wars for you?

Hussar

Legend
/snip

What could break Star Wars for me is the fans. People have gotten so amazingly toxic, from simple stupidity to misogyny to outright trolling, that I intentionally avoid most discussions about it. When I feel like I have something to add, my voice is mostly lost in a sea of poison. It's mostly my kids keeping it alive for me right now, because I can have a more intelligent discussion about Stars Wars with a 5 year old than most of the internet.

This. This right here. This is what is breaking Star Wars for me. The unbelievably viciousness of "fans" is just mindblowing. The level of politicization that fans have dragged into things is ... well... @Deset Gled said it right - sea of poison.

Y'know what? I LIKED Solo. Saw it with my girls and THEY liked it. You want to know why we liked it? Because we live in Japan and we don't have to get constantly bombarded by all the garbage spewing by inbred navel gazing trolls. We got to watch the movie fresh. And it was a fun movie. Greatest ever? Nope. It was a fun couple of hours.

But, from what I've seen leaking out of various "fans" festering cakeholes,, you'd think that the movie had just taken a chainsaw to a box full of kittens.

Love Star Wars. Wish the fans would just shut their festering gobs.

This. This right here. This is what is breaking Star Wars for me. The unbelievably viciousness of "fans" is just mindblowing. The level of politicization that fans have dragged into things is ... well... @Deset Gled said it right - sea of poison.

Y'know what? I LIKED Solo. Saw it with my girls and THEY liked it. You want to know why we liked it? Because we live in Japan and we don't have to get constantly bombarded by all the garbage spewing by inbred navel gazing trolls. We got to watch the movie fresh. And it was a fun movie. Greatest ever? Nope. It was a fun couple of hours.

But, from what I've seen leaking out of various "fans" festering cakeholes,, you'd think that the movie had just taken a chainsaw to a box full of kittens.

Does that include yourself?
Currently it really feels like you are spreading hate. That isn't really... helpful.

I feel that The Last Jedi pretty much already broke this trilogy for me. It was the equivalent of a director flipping the table over, rather than following up the plot points left by the Force Awakens. And yet I am still looking forward to Rise of Skywalker. I fear that it will be hard to salvage this wreckage, but there will probably be some stuff to like.

But whether they salvage it, or ruin it, nothing could ever ruin Star Wars as a whole for me. Not even the prequels could do that. With the franchise now in Disney hands, we will surely keep seeing new Star Wars movies sporadically, and they are bound to get it right a few times. Which will continue to fuel my obsession with collecting action figures for years to come.

Y'know what? I LIKED Solo. Saw it with my girls and THEY liked it.

I liked it too. It was a fun adventure/heist movie, and not just fan service (like Rogue One). Maybe not sensational, but competent and entertaining.

Hussar

Legend
Does that include yourself?
Currently it really feels like you are spreading hate. That isn't really... helpful.

Sorry. You're right. It's just so incredibly frustrating though. The bile that gets tossed out makes it so hard to have any real sympathy and it tends to drown out any actual criticisms. Constant comparisons to "New Coke" or typical edition warring garbage like "it's like 4e" just makes me see red and I have a difficult time separating things out.

When people are driving actors off their twitter accounts with death and rape threats, never minding how that kid that played Anakin was treated by "fans", I'm just so sick of the poisonous element of the fandom that tries to pretend that they are "protecting" Star Wars when all they are doing is spewing hate. I would rather lose those fans, to be honest. Those fans aren't welcome in my view of what fandom should be.

Sorry. You're right. It's just so incredibly frustrating though. The bile that gets tossed out makes it so hard to have any real sympathy and it tends to drown out any actual criticisms. Constant comparisons to "New Coke" or typical edition warring garbage like "it's like 4e" just makes me see red and I have a difficult time separating things out.

When people are driving actors off their twitter accounts with death and rape threats, never minding how that kid that played Anakin was treated by "fans", I'm just so sick of the poisonous element of the fandom that tries to pretend that they are "protecting" Star Wars when all they are doing is spewing hate. I would rather lose those fans, to be honest. Those fans aren't welcome in my view of what fandom should be.
Do you know what people did before Twitter and they could post death and rape threats to actors?
Well, most of them did simply nothing, because writing a letter and sending it somewhere is work. And the ones that did send letters - well, most of them got probably ignored, even if the actor or actress actually read there. There was no one to pile on this nonsense and +1 or retweet it.
But in the current world, writing stuff like that is getting you a ton of attention, so more people are doing it, because attention is... well, for some people it's really important and they do whatever it takes to get it, and if that means saying ridicilous atrocious nonsense, than that's what they do.
Don't let it ruin your day. Or your fandom. It wasn't the fandom or the EU that created these people. They were always there, but they didn't get the attention.

And regradless of whether we like or dislike The Last Jedi or dislike or like the old EU, we can probably agree that people could act with some human decency when discussing likes and dislikes - even in the internet, even on twitter or reddit or enworld. But we probably still have to navigate around the people that don't and do our best to not ruin our discussions.

Zardnaar

Legend

It's just click and trollbait.

I use the following for SW stuff.

Eckharts Ladder
Stupendous Wave
Thor Skywalker

Top one is more legends material and he has made some fan clips.

It's fairly simple for franchises though. Evolution not revolution. And don't do anything blatantly stupid like a Star Wars/My Little Pony cross over.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Lack of a cohesive and engaging plot and the lack of three dimensional characters. Needless to say, Star Wars has been broken for me since the prequels and the current trilogy isn't doing better.

Maybe the first trilogy should be left alone and be savored for its qualities alone. Cause Star Wars can't be savored for the quality of the rest of the material produced since.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Personally, The Phantom Menace used an AK-47on the original trilogy, nailgunned the coffin shut, dug a 60’ deep hole, and targeted the hole with a napalm strike from some F4 Phantoms.

The ads for the next movie nuked the hole from space, because that was the only way to be sure.

Remove ads